Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
In the sense of the belief that God is not involved in our day to day lives it would seem that an atheist and a deist would agree. But to step from there to conclude that the two are practically no different is absurd - a degree of agreement doesn't mean there aren't areas of disagreement.

I think the theory of evolution makes more sense from a deistic perspective than from an atheistic perspective. To argue that a deity created life and created within it the means to adapt and evolve makes more sense to me than to argue that nothing became something and a creature crawled out of the ooze and evolved because it just got lucky. Even theistic evolution makes some sense from a deist perspective, in that some kind of god watched and guided the evolution of its creation until it reached a certain stage, then left it alone. In that respect it's rather like a parent - when I was a baby my parents were involved in every little thing I did and as I grew older their involvement in my life diminished. They still care about me, they still interact with me, but not on a day-to-day basis. I know the analogy isn't perfect but it works most of the way
Perhaps the word "practical" is throwing people off.
I mean by it that the common sense day-to-day living of life is viewed similarly by a deist and an atheist. For all intense puposes their daily perspective of God's interaction is the same. It is non-existent.
The only difference is: What caused the Big Bang?