MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Blatantly false. Prove your point.
LOL, talk to the folks graduating from Luther Seminary in St Paul. Jesus is just a good man, not God. If I were you, I would call the ELCA and complain about how they have rejected Christ. Sucks to be an ELCA member these days.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
LOL, talk to the folks graduating from Luther Seminary in St Paul. Jesus is just a good man, not God. If I were you, I would call the ELCA and complain about how they have rejected Christ. Sucks to be an ELCA member these days.

You've asserted that Lutherans don't believe Jesus is God. Lutheranism consists of more than the ELCA (who don't deny Christ) or Luther Seminary, so sweeping judgments have to be assumed as false.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Meanders into thread

Meanders out of thread....:happy-run2:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
You've asserted that Lutherans don't believe Jesus is God. Lutheranism consists of more than the ELCA (who don't deny Christ) or Luther Seminary, so sweeping judgments have to be assumed as false.
I'm not wrong as you do have some Lutheran leaders who deny the deity of Christ. I never once said all Lutherans don't believe Jesus is God. Once again...you project.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I'm thinking Stravinsky doesn't believe Jesus is God. Is he an ELCA Lutheran? He could be...

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I'm not wrong as you do have some Lutheran leaders who deny the deity of Christ. I never once said all Lutherans don't believe Jesus is God. Once again...you project.

--___--

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
People really shouldn't base what an entire denomination believes based upon the viewpoints of one erroneous person. The Lutheran Confessions state that Jesus is God so the Lutheran belief is that Jesus is God. Anyone denying it is not Lutheran but trying to steal the name.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It seems you personally know all the details of the personal faith of every person graduating from that school..... I don't. But I do know this, NONE of them is the whole of Lutheranism and NONE of them is the Book of Concord.

I'm sure I could find some school officially operated by some denomination with "Reformed" or "Presbyterian" in the name of the denomination, and among the graduating students, find some with less than orthodox beliefs. But I would not be so silly as to argue that ERGO the whole of Reformed Christians are like that. I find that sometimes those who stress "logic" the most use it the least.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Maybe it means that he has heard something that was similar to that--or misunderstood what he was hearing--from one or more people at one institution...and so concluded (in the way that we've read previously) that this means ALL Lutherans from Dr. Luther forward must believe the same way. Or that all Christians other than himself must believe that way. We have also read that in his posts.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Blatantly false. Prove your point.

I really find this whole thread really sad. We can't disagree with each other without saying things like "they don't believe in Jesus" and lumping a whole group of christians in this generalization when huge generalizations like this are rarely true

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
"Lutherans believe that faith in Jesus Christ is necessary for eternal salvation.

This faith in Jesus, who is both God and man, our Savior, comes only as God, the Holy Spirit, works through God’s Word and Baptism in a person’s heart. We believe we sinners cannot come to faith through our own power, but that our faith is accomplished only by the power of the Holy Spirit as He connects us to Jesus as the Savior."

Direct quote from an official Lutheran Website.
http://els.org/about/what-is-a-lutheran-2/

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I'm thinking Stravinsky doesn't believe Jesus is God. Is he an ELCA Lutheran? He could be...

Let's find out. [MENTION=216]Stravinsk[/MENTION]?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
(duplicate of the post following)

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I really find this whole thread really sad. We can't disagree with each other without saying things like "they don't believe in Jesus" and lumping a whole group of christians in this generalization when huge generalizations like this are rarely true

It's worse than that, however. We are not simply dealing with a disagreement or a generalization. The claims are often random accusations and are not even possible of being correct.

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Your comments are posted in the OP. You were clearly making a generalized comment about all Lutherans (at least the Lutherans graduating from Luther Seminary. You are now clearly back tracking but too proud to admit you were wrong.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, the desire to 'have the last word' is part of it.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's worse than that, however. We are not simply dealing with a disagreement or a generalization. The claims are often random accusations and are not even possible of being correct.

Yes, that's true. Now if he had said Dr.Smith at Luther Seminary (just giving an example) denies the deity of Christ that would be easier to believe. As it is we just have this generalization that doesn't really even make sense and is insulting to Lutherans

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, that's true. Now if he had said Dr.Smith at Luther Seminary (just giving an example) denies the deity of Christ that would be easier to believe. As it is we just have this generalization that doesn't really even make sense and is insulting to Lutherans

... and also had NOTHING to do with the discussion whatsoever.

I'm not saying it's the case here, but in debate, there is a tactic called "the shell game." When one feels... well... out of cards to play or trapped or "caught" - change the subject, change it in a way that will likely cause the other side to be unable to leave that alone and thus work to get the 'heat' off your side.

Our good friend here has a very bold position - and personally, I LIKE when people have a stance (even if it's "we can't know for sure"). I LIKE it when people think truth matters. But PERSONALLY, I find his expressions of his view very new and unique - perhaps because it comes from a strong monergist (like me). We all know that for the past 500 years, the Sacraments of Baptism and Communion have been - SADLY - dividing points. There's just not much history here (no Ecumenical Councils for example) because the debate is relatively new, the "stripping" only goes back to Zwingly and the Anabaptists, both in the 16th Century, and the new Catholic spin to Trent also in the 16th Century. I 'side' with just accepting what the words say..... and how all Christians affirmed them until these new 16th Century inventions, but I admit the EFFECTUALNESS of them is not abundantly obvious, but I think is much stronger than the new denials. It's a fairly common discussion and I think an important one, but some seem to have personal difficulties discussing it or even reading other thoughts.

Some will say, "NONE Of this ever accomplishes anything!" Well, my 15 years + on sites like this might make me say AMEN. BUT I believe God can work.... I KNOW people can learn and grow and discover some of what they were taught or assumed, well.... is questionable. I KNOW that because it's happened to me. So much so that it caused me to leave a church I LOVED and the denomination of my family and many of my friends.... and still to this day, at times causes me to re-think things. It takes some humility ("I just COULD be wrong.... God may know more than I do.... I may be seeing this wrong....") but then ALL learning and growth does. If nothing else, ecumenical discussions help ME think and grow... but I HOPE it does others, too. It's why I never go to Lutheran websites (nothing gets challenged there, nothing different gets promoted there).

Sometimes people get frustrated... and act/speak/write out of character. I see it as a good sign; maybe something is dawning (and it's troubling because it's not what WAS thought/believed)? Few like to admit (even to themselves) "I didn't have this quite right." But learning and growing are good things....

Sorry.

- Josiah

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It seems you personally know all the details of the personal faith of every person graduating from that school..... I don't. But I do know this, NONE of them is the whole of Lutheranism and NONE of them is the Book of Concord.

I'm sure I could find some school officially operated by some denomination with "Reformed" or "Presbyterian" in the name of the denomination, and among the graduating students, find some with less than orthodox beliefs. But I would not be so silly as to argue that ERGO the whole of Reformed Christians are like that. I find that sometimes those who stress "logic" the most use it the least.
I never made a universal statement. I have listened to instructors and seminarians from Luther Seminary deny the deity of Christ. This is a fact.
"The cross is not about punishment for sin either. Not for Jesus' sin, certainly, but also not for ours."
~ David Lose - President of Luther Theological Seminary in Philadelphia
"The cross is not about God as divine child abuser sadly sending his little boy off to be killed because we were bad, and well, somebody has to pay."
~ Pastor Nadia Bolz-Weber
"The notion of the prexistent Son of God becoming a human being in the womb of a virgin and then returning to his heavenly home is bound up with the mythological picture of the world that clashes with the modern scientific view. The preexistence of Christ is an integral part of the myth of the incarnation." (From a textbook of the ELCA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom