Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I just read about a pastor who made a joke on Easter Sunday about a fat Jesus who couldn't get into the tomb because he was always eating at someone's home. The pastor was confused that he offended someone in the congregation. Would that joke have offended you?

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a dumb joke...but I wouldnt be offended.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I would be offended somewhat, but not outraged. I understand that this is a way for a pastor to make his sermon "catchier" or more thought-provoking, but he should know that the point or joke could have been made just as well without personalizing it to that degree. And if many in the congregation do not get offended, what of the others who do? He really should appreciate that the story is not worth relating if any congregant is put off by it.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I don't like to see anyone called Fat. There are better ways to say it.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Wow this is an older thread.
I would have to say that I immediately get offended when I hear jokes about our savior, I wouldn't speak out about it but rather ask God to forgive them. When I hear the word "Jesus" it is very sacred to me, that wasn't always the case for tho I did my fair share of slander when I was atheist but now... no I leave the wit with the wit master, he knew how to justly charge the jews by exposing the their hypocrisy and it always left them defeated by law and picking up stones lol and "let he without sin cast the first stone"!!! Brilliant, King of wit and truth!
I get excited when I read those passages and root him on "go get em Jesus!!"
But to make petty mundane jokes at our lords expense is not only cheap but it borders on blasphemy so yeah I didnt come to listen to a comedian I come to hear a good sermon by a good man of God on Gods word and on my time reserved all for his names sake. What will be uttered in secret will be proclaimed from the rooftops.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom