Credobaptists - What about those with disabilities and baptism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The question was specifically about "people with disabilities". [see post #251]
I was responding to just what you wrote...it made no reference to a prior post.

Do Padeobaptists have ANY restrictions on children with disabilities that they do not have on any other children?
Not that I can think of. Why would they?

Anyway, the statement below is still incorrect.

Credobaptist answer: If they can believe, then they can be baptized.
Padeobaptist answer: Anyone can be baptized.

and the word is Paedobaptists. Look it up.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was responding to just what you wrote...it made no reference to a prior post.
Liar, liar, pants on fire.
I quoted the post I was responding to in my response ... [see posts #251 and #252]

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Liar, liar, pants on fire.
I quoted the post I was responding to in my response ... [see posts #251 and #252]
I cannot think of anything that rhymes with what I would really like to say, but you are dead wrong about this. More to the point, however, you were wrong about baptism as practiced by Paedobaptists and there should be nothing more that needs to be said about it.

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
meluckycharms wrote:
I cannot speak for all paedobaptists. However, as a former Catholic, a confession of faith is still required.
Of course.

Let's hope this puts an end to the mischaracterizing of the Paedobaptist position.

And, by the way, I could have chosen Lutheran or Christian Reformed or some other church/pastor for my illustration--one that treats the process of conversion differently from the way you outlined--and there still would have been no chance of baptisms being performed.
How does an infant make a confession of faith? Refresh me on how you assess this confession from an infant.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How does an infant make a confession of faith?

Irrelevant. Until you can quote the Scripture that states, "... BUT thou canst NOT allow any to be baptized unless and until they hath FIRST made a verbal and verifiable confession of their choiceth of Jesus as their Savior." When you prove that such a confession is a PREREQUISITE to baptism, you'll have a point (perhaps). Until then, it's irrelevant.

Now, can a person who has been baptized make a confession? Often - although it may not be chronologically BEFORE the baptism; it may happen just not in some exact chronological order that some individual dude in 1523 first thought up.

Josiah said:

Early on, in another thread on the topic of Baptism, one of our Anabaptist (on this) friends stressed that there is a difference in whether we see various things as CO-requisites or PRE-requisites. I noted then that that was very insightful (he's since entirely abandoned all that).

Both "sides" note a number of things God wants to happen, it's just the (sole) view from 63 AD at the latest until 1523 (and by far the majority view today) is that they are simply all requisites (he'd say CO-requisites): Things God wants, commands, can and does use.... "they shall not return to me void but shall accomplish all for which I purpose". Not until a German individual in 1523 did anyone see in the Bible or just assume that there is a very exact, "Step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...." a divinely mandates chronological sequence to all this (that the Bible just forgot to note) that if we don't DO all this in that precise chronological sequence, God is rendered impotent. Why did that Anabaptist invent that (and also the "Age of Accountability)? Because they were required by his very radical synergism. The orthodox/historic view sees all these as a "set" - all tools in the hands of the Carpenter - impotent in themselves but used for miracles in the hands of the Miracle Worker, the Author and Lord and Giver of Life.

I think the reason why we can historically trace infant baptism to around 63 AD.... the reason why we see whole families being baptized in the Bible... the reason why no one thought of anti-paedobaptism and credobaptism until one dude in 1523.... is because we saw all these as a "set" and tools in the hands of a LOVING, giving, blessing, God who is love and who is the Author and GIVER of Life. The orthodox/historical view sees all this together.... and we view it in the context of community and family. And the VAST majority of Christians still do. But of course, radical individualism and synergism have infected Christianity and the impact of that can be seen.

A blessed Lenten season to all....

- Josiah

Last edited:

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
How does an infant make a confession of faith? Refresh me on how you assess this confession from an infant.
The infant doesn't make a confession of faith, the parents make a confession of faith and vow to bring the child up in a Christian home and teach the child to be a Christian. Later, the child's faith is confirmed at confirmation. So there you go, whether as an infant by the parents, or when the child is older during confirmation, a public confession of faith is given.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The infant doesn't make a confession of faith, the parents make a confession of faith and vow to bring the child up in a Christian home and teach the child to be a Christian. Later, the child's faith is confirmed at confirmation. So there you go, whether as an infant by the parents, or when the child is older during confirmation, a public confession of faith is given.

The Anabaptists don't care at all if there is confession or repentance or anything else.... it's all about the invention of that individual guy in 1523 and his insistence that God can only bless if we do things is a very prescribed chronological order and sequence, one the Bible never mentions but his radical synergism required. So the issue is NOT if one should confess, repent, learn, or whatever.... the sole issue is this: what chronological STEP is it in the mandated sequence.

See post 265 including the post quoted in it.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Correct. Which is why infant baptism is irrelevant and also why Lutherans have an established age of X.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Correct. Which is why infant baptism is irrelevant and also why Lutherans have an established age of X.

Lutherans have no established age of X in baptism (or anything else) because God is not rendered impotent according to age (John the Baptist was given faith before he was even born, so the age of X would have to be before birth if it existed, but no - God is not rendered impotent by anyone at any age).

Your point continues to be rrelevant. Until you can quote the Scripture that states, "... BUT thou canst NOT allow any to be baptized unless and until they hath FIRST attainedth their Xth birthday and hath FIRST made a verbal and verifiable confession of their choiceth of Jesus as their Savior, only after all that art completed and finished art the prohibition to baptize lifted." When you prove that such a confession is a PREREQUISITE to baptism, you'll have a point (perhaps). Until then, it's irrelevant.

Now, can a person who has been baptized make a confession? Sure - although it may not be chronologically BEFORE the baptism; it may happen but perhaps not in some exact chronological order that some individual dude in 1523 first thought up.

Josiah said:
Early on, in another thread on the topic of Baptism, one of our Anabaptist (on this) friends stressed that there is a difference in whether we see various things as CO-requisites or PRE-requisites. I noted then that that was very insightful (he's since entirely abandoned all that).

Both "sides" note a number of things God wants to happen, it's just the (sole) view from 63 AD at the latest until 1523 (and by far the majority view today) is that they are simply all requisites (he'd say CO-requisites): Things God wants, commands, can and does use.... "they shall not return to me void but shall accomplish all for which I purpose". Not until a German individual in 1523 did anyone see in the Bible or just assume that there is a very exact, "Step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...." a divinely mandates chronological sequence to all this (that the Bible just forgot to note) that if we don't DO all this in that precise chronological sequence, God is rendered impotent. Why did that Anabaptist invent that (and also the "Age of Accountability)? Because they were required by his very radical synergism. The orthodox/historic view sees all these as a "set" - all tools in the hands of the Carpenter - impotent in themselves but used for miracles in the hands of the Miracle Worker, the Author and Lord and Giver of Life.

I think the reason why we can historically trace infant baptism to around 63 AD.... the reason why we see whole families being baptized in the Bible... the reason why no one thought of anti-paedobaptism and credobaptism until one dude in 1523.... is because we saw all these as a "set" and tools in the hands of a LOVING, giving, blessing, God who is love and who is the Author and GIVER of Life. The orthodox/historical view sees all this together.... and we view it in the context of community and family. And the VAST majority of Christians still do. But of course, radical individualism and synergism have infected Christianity and the impact of that can be seen.

Last edited:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
The Anabaptists don't care at all if there is confession or repentance or anything else.... it's all about the invention of that individual guy in 1523 and his insistence that God can only bless if we do things is a very prescribed chronological order and sequence, one the Bible never mentions but his radical synergism required. So the issue is NOT if one should confess, repent, learn, or whatever.... the sole issue is this: what chronological STEP is it in the mandated sequence.

See post 265 including the post quoted in it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Anabaptists aren't interested. It seems that they have a vested interest in those very things, sometimes passionately so; but, as you said, it's in a very prescribed order.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
...and also why Lutherans have an established age of X.

This has been suggested by another poster, but I don't see where you (or said poster) has established the point

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
This has been suggested by another poster, but I don't see where you (or said poster) has established the point
It's self-obvious.
Infant baptism is for no other purpose than for parents to covenant to raise their children up in Christian community.
Confirmation at the age of X determines if the child is in fact in community.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's self-obvious.

There is no age for anything stated in the Lutheran Confessions.
Nor is Confirmation mandated. For anyone. Of any age.

Lutherans (like the Bible itself) have no established age of X in baptism (or anything else) because God is not rendered impotent according to age (John the Baptist was given faith before he was even born).

Your point continues to be rrelevant. Until you can quote the Scripture that states, "... BUT thou canst NOT allow any to be baptized unless and until they hath FIRST attainedth their Xth birthday and hath FIRST madeth a verbal, public and verifiable confession of their choiceth of Jesus as their Savior, only after all that art completed and finished is the prohibition against baptism lifted." When you prove that all that x,y,z is a PREREQUISITE to baptism, you'll have a point (perhaps). Until then, it's just irrelevant.

Now, can a person who has been baptized make a confession? Sure - although it may not be chronologically BEFORE the baptism; it may happen but perhaps not in some exact chronological order that some individual dude in 1523 first thought up.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The reason I'm continuing to home in on this matter, is to counter something. The drawing of attention to people with disabilities, can be used as a back door to give attempted credence to the baptism of babies – itself a mechanism employed to promote the growth of organisations.

==============================================================================================

Me in Post #239: The need for baptised babies to one day become self-accountable for their own salvation, was admitted in Post #141 and Post #207. That accountability was associated with “confirmation” and access to “Holy Communion”. Therefore an age of accountability is inherently concreted in the doctrine sets of Baby Baptisers.

Albion in Post #240: What is the age, then?

==============================================================================================

Why ask me?

Albion himself (along with other baby baptism supporters) has admitted that a baptised baby has to make a personal declaration of faith later in life.

Therefore, there must be, for each individual, a time (age) beyond which if they do not make that sincere personal profession, they end up in hot water.

But what are those baby baptising churches to do? How are they to define what that age is, seeing that the whole concept is totally foreign to God’s Holy Revelation to us?

They define standardised ritual ages, at and beyond which ritual affirmations are deemed efficacious (effective). Those standardised ages are those churches’ ‘ages of accountability’ – ages of accountability which they deny exist.

And then another problem arises. Those churches cannot even agree on what the standardised ritual age should be. The whole situation is thus exposed as one of confusion. As well as lacking any Scriptural (and Apostolic) sanction.

No wonder the Baby Baptisers feel compelled to deny the very existence of that fly in their ointment.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The need for baptised babies to one day become self-accountable for their own salvation, was admitted in Post #141 and Post #207. That accountability was associated with “confirmation” and access to “Holy Communion”. Therefore an age of accountability is inherently concreted in the doctrine sets of Baby Baptisers.

Albion in Post #240: What is the age, then?

Why ask me?
Because although there is no age of accountability in the case of baptisms performed in churches that baptize young children, you keep insisting that such an age of accountability exists.

So I ask you to tell us what that age is! You see something that we do not think exists, so tell us where you see any such age of accountability. What age is it???

Albion himself (along with other baby baptism supporters) has admitted that a baptised baby has to make a personal declaration of faith later in life.
Yes, but there is no age appointed for that. It is not at age 8 or 15 or 21 or any other specified age. And, in addition, that doesn't have anything to do with Baptism anyway, since the person has already been baptized. So, there is no age of accountability involved with baptisms performed in all the churches that baptize infants along with people of every other age--just as we have explained several times before.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I didn't. I know of no verse that says, "It is a divine mandate that a person MUST first chooseth Jesus as one's personal Savior and THEN give an adequate and public declaration of such." I DO think that confession is a commandment, but I know of no age requirement and I know of no mandated chronological sequence that, if not done in that order, renders God impotent and/or the person unable to be saved. There are MANY things we are called to do... MANY things God can use.... I just don't force God into a chronological box.

Therefore, there must be, for each individual, a time (age) beyond which if they do not make that sincere personal profession, they end up in hot water.

If they don't have faith by the time they die, yeah.... probably.

There is no stated age for anything in the Lutheran Confessions or the the Anglican Thirty-Nine Articles. But yes, I think it can be reasonably assumed that ministry is to happen prior to death (although I would not MANDATE to God that He is forbidden to do anything after that).

How are they to define what that age is

Unless they commit suicide or are scheduled for execution, typically we don't know the exact time of our death. Good to apply the means of grace before that, then, IMO. I don't think there's a lot of debate on this point.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Do Lutherans have confirmation and a ceremony for those who pass confirmation?
That is an age of X.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
From Post #249:

Then let's use infant baptizers or Paedobaptizers like everyone else.

And if you are going to quote me and address me, talk to me, not about me.

Isn't it interesting how some people think they have the power to dictate to others.

No hint of a request, nor a "please", notice.

Just to let people know, my intention is to continue to use, and to further coin, meaningful descriptive terms that are different from the hackneyed, "standard" ones. I will do so because fresh terminology can sometimes result in people being eased out of their religious ruts, and in their taking a fresh look at particular situations.

That in turn can lead to greater understanding that they would have otherwise missed. When that happens, people are thankful for that terminology change.

But of course, there are always those who don't want others to take a fresh look.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do Lutherans have confirmation and a ceremony for those who pass confirmation?
That is an age of X.

AGAIN.....

Yes, Lutherans think that Bible study is important. We actually WELCOME people of all ages to study the Bible and forbid NONE.

No, Confirmation instruction is NOT required. For anyone. At any age.

No. There is not one age requirement in the Lutheran Confessions (or in the Anglican Thirty-Nine Articles). For anyone. For anything. In act, there is no age mentioned in the Lutheran Confessions AT ALL. Not once. Not ever.

It is the Anabaptists who invented their new dogmas of Anti-Paedobaptism and Credobaptism, invented out of the blue in 1523, not because the inventors noticed any Scriptures but because it seemed a necessity of their radical synergism. It is the Anabaptist new dogma of Anti-PAEDObaptism that dogmaticly demands that Baptism is forbidden to any under a certain age - these Anabaptists just refuse to say what age that is (thus necessitating speaking of it as "X" - that being the designation for any factor that is unknown). Anti-Paedobaptism is entirely about AGE, but an age they refuse to disclose.

A blessed Lenten season to all....

- Josiah

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status