Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Have you joined a local church as a member or not?

why or why not?

I'm currently looking for a new church home as most of you know already.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, I had my membership transferred from my old church to this one I'm currently at. It took me about 6 months or more before I started exploring new churches after we moved.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes. I figure that once you find a good church then its best to partner with and support each other.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

why or why not?

One church I attend doesn't really have official 'membership' ...
But they have great wings! :disgonbegood:

And outstanding ice cream! :disgonbegood:

and stuff † :bible:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

why or why not?

Strictly speaking I am a member of two churches and my wife is a member of three.

We're still technically members of our former church. The only reason we left the church is because we moved out of the area, and still attend it when we are in the area visiting friends from the church at the weekend. I think my wife is still technically a member of her childhood church even though she hasn't attended a service there in nearly a decade (if you exclude weddings and funerals, Christmas and Easter it's probably more like 25 years).

WE joined the church as members because we decided we wanted to settle there, to nail our colors to the mast, so to speak. Membership gives voting rights, it often comes with a few incidental other privileges relating to use of church facilities although we seldom use them. We also wanted to support our pastor. We retained our membership of our former church because we left on very good terms and still wish to stay in touch. Technically speaking it means we could attend a church meeting and cast the deciding vote on a contentious issue and then leave without ever having to deal with the consequences of the vote, but in practice it's not something we would do.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I was received into Hope Lutheran Church ( LCMS) in Jacksonville, FL, in 2013. In May of 2014, I transferred my membership to Hope Lutheran Church ( LCMS) in Manassas, VA. I found a community with apostolic continuity and Biblical emphasis on Word and Sacraments I'd been looking for since 2011, once I fell out with the Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of St. Augustine. The community in Jacksonville, like the community in Manassas, is, quite simply, the place where God planted me to grow and mature in the One True Faith. If it's God's will, I'll continue on to the seminary in St. Louis.

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
No, I am not a member of any local church, or indeed any national church organisation.

That is the easy part of the answer, now as to why? That is far more complex.

I was in a local church, it happened to be labelled Church of England, but to be honest that label is applied to so many types of congregation that it is not helpful at all. The one I was in would be described as charismatic, liberal and evangelical, which is a very eclectic mix.

So why am I no longer there? Well partly because my wife felt excluded by the members as they regarded her as less than committed to their programmes, and partly because I began to feel that their programmes were more important to them than the people in the church.

After I left I found that every 'friend' I had there avoided me or only spoke with me to ask when I was returning. There was little concern for me or my heart or my faith walk, only that I return to the fold. So I came to see that churches are self serving groups of believers whose main purpose is to support its programmes of teaching, giving and buildings, and for me 'church' should be about supporting the people who make up the group in their journey of faith in Jesus.

That is a very condensed version, but it is essentially why I am not in a formal church.

Pete from Peterborough UK

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not a member of any particular church.

I visit church buildings at times, but haven't ever brought myself to become an official member. I enjoy going to small gospel churches though. They are exceedingly uplifting.

I've been to many different sorts of churches and at least one temple. There have been a couple that I really felt good about, and others that I couldn't wait to get out of.
There have been some where the faith of the congregation and message of the pastor or priest has been on the mark; but there have been times that neither the congregation or the pastor or what have you seemed very truthful at all, or even sincere.

I hope to find an actual church building that is filled with the light and life of GOD and that glorifies GOD in all things, through Christ.

I imagine if I ever find that church, that I would be baptised by the pastor their.

To be honest; I should probably spend more time looking for one I suppose.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Yes.

Why? As Lamm posted -

There is one true Church (cap C) that encompasses the body of believers. But in English we also use the small letter c for church and this is a building that has a local congregation of believers.

From the book Lutheranism 101 here are reasons to join a church:

Here God's Spirit comes to us with grace, mercy, and forgiveness.
Here God is faithful to His promises.
Here God's people, led by their pastor, worship, baptize, preach, teach, confess and forgive, gather at the Lord's Table, and reach others with the saving message of Christ.
Here God's people have the privilege of associating with others who are faithful to the Word and linked to us through common beliefs.
Here God's people build relationships with one another based on a strong foundation linked to Christ.

And as I added....

Josiah said:
I think being a part of a parish also means...

1. We are in community rather than an isolated, individualistic, loner (and an easy target for the Evil One). "It's not Jesus and ME but Jesus and WE" God places us into the community of the family and the church.

2. AA, Weight Watchers, etc. are all based on being a part of a community, all realize the importance and power of that - with support and accountability.

3. Each Christian is a part of a BODY, not the whole enchilada.... Scripture stresses we are to be connected with other believers working together, each contributing uniquely.... Christians are more like members of an orchestra rather than a solo artist.

4. The community of the parish keeps me from going off according to my own opinions and emotions..... the church is an anchor keeping me sound and solid in the truth. Encouraging me to be sound in morality. Encouraging me to be active in ministry. Keeping my eyes on Jesus rather than on ME, ME, ME.

And the #1 thing I looked for: Sound, biblical, orthodox theology. Nothing comes close to the importance of that.

- Josiah

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Strictly speaking I am a member of two churches and my wife is a member of three.

We're still technically members of our former church. The only reason we left the church is because we moved out of the area, and still attend it when we are in the area visiting friends from the church at the weekend. I think my wife is still technically a member of her childhood church even though she hasn't attended a service there in nearly a decade (if you exclude weddings and funerals, Christmas and Easter it's probably more like 25 years).

WE joined the church as members because we decided we wanted to settle there, to nail our colors to the mast, so to speak. Membership gives voting rights, it often comes with a few incidental other privileges relating to use of church facilities although we seldom use them. We also wanted to support our pastor. We retained our membership of our former church because we left on very good terms and still wish to stay in touch. Technically speaking it means we could attend a church meeting and cast the deciding vote on a contentious issue and then leave without ever having to deal with the consequences of the vote, but in practice it's not something we would do.

Just a footnote here...but in most denominations, you cannot be a member of two of its congregations simultaneously unless it is one of those snowbird situations. The old one will transfer your membership to the new one. And you wont be carried on the rolls of any of those congregations as a member, a voting member, if you dont show up for a stretch of years.

It would be possible to belong to two different denominations if one or the other of them doesn't get wind of what you've done, however.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just a footnote here...but in most denominations, you cannot be a member of two of its congregations simultaneously unless it is one of those snowbird situations. The old one will transfer your membership to the new one. And you wont be carried on the rolls of any of those congregations as a member, a voting member, if you dont show up for a stretch of years.

It would be possible to belong to two different denominations if one or the other of them doesn't get wind of what you've done, however.

When we joined a church in one part of Texas we happened to go back to where we use to live and were talking to some friends and one lady told me that our membership was still at our previous church even though we had transferred our letter. Baptist churches are notorious for leaving people on the rolls. I know of a few situations where people who were dead and gone were still on church rolls. Some churches do a better job than others at their record keeping

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, that experience shows that the membership should have gotten transferred, though, despite the administrative slip-up.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When we joined a church in one part of Texas we happened to go back to where we use to live and were talking to some friends and one lady told me that our membership was still at our previous church even though we had transferred our letter. Baptist churches are notorious for leaving people on the rolls. I know of a few situations where people who were dead and gone were still on church rolls. Some churches do a better job than others at their record keeping

... its not just Baptists, lol.....

A LOT of parishes do a terrible job of stewardship of these numbers. And of course, a LOT of churches no longer have official memberships at all (my brothers huge Mega Non Denom has no such thing - when you've returned as a guest, you are added to the "care" list - where you remain until God knows when). And folks in my generation are not "joiners" and hesitate to officially join anything.

This is why "Average Worship Attendance" has become a far better measurement. My tiny parish has about 100 on the official Confirmed membership list but that's frankly meaningless.... we have about 50 in church on an average Sunday. THAT number I know includes several who aren't officially members (for whatever reason). About half of our attendees are former Catholics but I know one family that STILL considers themselves Catholic "by heritage" even though they never go to a Catholic parish and fully agree with Lutheran theology but "We're Mexicans and we're Catholic!" It's a cultural thing..... We FULLY embrace them as members, just not technically. Not sure the difference matters a bit.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The two churches are different denominations and neither has a problem with membership of the other.

I am expecting to be removed from the membership roll of our former church at some point in the future - as you say when we no longer attend regularly it's inevitable that sooner or later we're going to get dropped from membership. A few years back there was discussion of removing members who had been inactive for years and it caused some contention. One couple who apparently hadn't been seen in church for several years despite living less than 5 miles away, we were told, would "find it very hurtful" if they had their membership cancelled. Obviously not so hurtful that they could make such an arduous journey once every couple of months to attend a church service.

Personally I see myself as Christian first and have little interest in specific denominations. My question tends to be "what does Scripture say about X?" rather than "what do Baptists/Anglicans/Mennonites/Lutherans/whatever think Scripture says about X?" Obviously each church will bring an extent of its denominational leanings into teachings but as long as teaching is Scripturally sound I'm not too worried about specifics. I disagreed with my former church on some issues, I disagree with my current church on some issues, but nothing is an issue of any real significance.

The first time I was invited to preach at my current church I had a conversation with the minister and he gave me a couple of (small) books he suggested I read. He essentially said I was welcome to preach on whatever topic I chose, but to avoid teaching in direct contradiction of the main denominational points. I was happy with that - if I felt the need to refute key denominational beliefs from the pulpit it would be better to talk to the minister first and if needs be find a different church.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The two churches are different denominations and neither has a problem with membership of the other.

I am expecting to be removed from the membership roll of our former church at some point in the future - as you say when we no longer attend regularly it's inevitable that sooner or later we're going to get dropped from membership. A few years back there was discussion of removing members who had been inactive for years and it caused some contention. One couple who apparently hadn't been seen in church for several years despite living less than 5 miles away, we were told, would "find it very hurtful" if they had their membership cancelled. Obviously not so hurtful that they could make such an arduous journey once every couple of months to attend a church service.

Personally I see myself as Christian first and have little interest in specific denominations. My question tends to be "what does Scripture say about X?" rather than "what do Baptists/Anglicans/Mennonites/Lutherans/whatever think Scripture says about X?" Obviously each church will bring an extent of its denominational leanings into teachings but as long as teaching is Scripturally sound I'm not too worried about specifics. I disagreed with my former church on some issues, I disagree with my current church on some issues, but nothing is an issue of any real significance.

The first time I was invited to preach at my current church I had a conversation with the minister and he gave me a couple of (small) books he suggested I read. He essentially said I was welcome to preach on whatever topic I chose, but to avoid teaching in direct contradiction of the main denominational points. I was happy with that - if I felt the need to refute key denominational beliefs from the pulpit it would be better to talk to the minister first and if needs be find a different church.

When I was a nursing home chaplain I was invited at the minister's alliance meeting by one of the Lutheran pastors to come preach at his church. I am assuming he was desperate for help because he really didn't eve know me that well. Well, I went and preached at his church and was invited back a few months later to preach against. I was surprised because I am not Lutheran or even close as far as I can tell. I guess every once in a while they let a guest preacher come speak. I was also invited several times by one of the Methodist pastors to preach. Oddly, I was not invited by the local Baptist pastors.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I was a nursing home chaplain I was invited at the minister's alliance meeting by one of the Lutheran pastors to come preach at his church. I am assuming he was desperate for help because he really didn't eve know me that well. Well, I went and preached at his church and was invited back a few months later to preach against. I was surprised because I am not Lutheran or even close as far as I can tell. I guess every once in a while they let a guest preacher come speak. I was also invited several times by one of the Methodist pastors to preach. Oddly, I was not invited by the local Baptist pastors.

I'm surprised a Lutheran congregation tolerated that. Speaking as a guest pastor for a mission group might be allowed.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm surprised a Lutheran congregation tolerated that. Speaking as a guest pastor for a mission group might be allowed.

I just looked them up to see what they are members of. it says it is a ELCA church. It says Texas-Louisana Gulf Coast Synod. It is in Texas. I can PM you a link to the church but that was 17 years ago so the same pastor isn't there now

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In the LCMS, only LCMS pastors (or a tiny number of those in "pulpit fellowship" with such) on the official roster may be used as guest preachers ...

I'm under the impression that there are LOTS of good, solid Lutheran pastors, teachers and parishes in the ELCA. But there are also some who have wandered far away..... SO many Protestant faith communities have had "liberal" split offs... although often the problem is not classic liberalism as it is just relevativism and pragmatism. It sometimes happens in the long sceam of history for faith communities to wander away (Sunday School students recall how Israel itself did this) - and then eventually come back. There are many good folks in parishes of the ELCA, UPUSA, Episcopal Church USA - I pray that in time, ALL of us in ALL faith communities will come firmly on historic, orthodox, biblical theology and morality.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In the LCMS, only LCMS pastors (or a tiny number of those in "pulpit fellowship" with such) on the official roster may be used as guest preachers ...

I'm under the impression that there are LOTS of good, solid Lutheran pastors, teachers and parishes in the ELCA. But there are also some who have wandered far away..... SO many Protestant faith communities have had "liberal" split offs... although often the problem is not classic liberalism as it is just relevativism and pragmatism. It sometimes happens in the long sceam of history for faith communities to wander away (Sunday School students recall how Israel itself did this) - and then eventually come back. There are many good folks in parishes of the ELCA, UPUSA, Episcopal Church USA - I pray that in time, ALL of us in ALL faith communities will come firmly on historic, orthodox, biblical theology and morality.

They did wander away and then God would discipline them so they would see the errors of their ways. In Judges, that meant giving Israel into the hands of their enemies until they looked up

Top Bottom