Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
And some churches don't have a formal joining process. If your a regular attender and contribute then your considered a member.
Very well, but the OP also includes those people, as I understand it. We can read it as referring to all who join in with a congregation, not just people who hold a formal membership (and may or may not show up very often).

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are "side benefits" (that really belong to ANY social group - of which parishes are that, too). Including good refreshments (LOL .... Seriously, my parish has by far the BEST coffee and goodies after worship, and nearly all stick around for 20-30 minutes enjoying them and each other). I like all the social stuff, the "fellowship events" we tend to call them now (not at all sure that's what "fellowship" actually means, however, lol). It's fun - and healthy - to be a part of a community, a family, a group of friends. This is purely a "side benefit" not at all at the purpose of the church, but I think in some ways it helps..... it's easier to work together and support each other when we know each other. And I think in this age when people move all around, when people are often far away from family, when cities grow increasingly unfriendly, this aspect IMO becomes more welcomed. The people of my parish are part of my family, my friends.... I can count on them and they on me.... I love them and they me.... Not a bad thing. But again, not really the church's purpose - just a fringe benefit of many parishes.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are "side benefits" (that really belong to ANY social group - of which parishes are that, too). Including good refreshments (LOL .... Seriously, my parish has by far the BEST coffee and goodies after worship, and nearly all stick around for 20-30 minutes enjoying them and each other). I like all the social stuff, the "fellowship events" we tend to call them now (not at all sure that's what "fellowship" actually means, however, lol). It's fun - and healthy - to be a part of a community, a family, a group of friends. This is purely a "side benefit" not at all at the purpose of the church, but I think in some ways it helps..... it's easier to work together and support each other when we know each other. And I think in this age when people move all around, when people are often far away from family, when cities grow increasingly unfriendly, this aspect IMO becomes more welcomed. The people of my parish are part of my family, my friends.... I can count on them and they on me.... I love them and they me.... Not a bad thing. But again, not really the church's purpose - just a fringe benefit of many parishes.

I like how you keep pointing out about community because if we look to the Hebrews and Jews they were definitely focused on community instead of individualism. I think being part of a community in a church does keep us grounded in a way so that we want to know more about God.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Eeehhh.. coffee? j/k :read:

You have that at your church right? :D

It goes with post #6, DONUTS, and it's about time...where've you ppl been?!

Actually, my main church has wings and ice cream.
But you dont 'join' it.

You're born into the One True Church, like you said in the OP, and you just show up there to worship, and pray, and learn, and fellowship.

And eat wings.
And ice cream. :cheer:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Very well, but the OP also includes those people, as I understand it. We can read it as referring to all who join in with a congregation, not just people who hold a formal membership (and may or may not show up very often).

You can read it that way, but that's not what she said.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You can read it that way, but that's not what she said.
Well, she did not "say" it the other way, either.

More important, every one of the five points listed in the OP apply alike to official members and to regular attendees who have not become official members. However, I commented on people who are in the second of those categories only because you brought it up in your post #16; I do not want to encourage anyone to take that course in preference to formal membership.

Last edited:
Top Bottom