Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
There is one true Church (cap C) that encompasses the body of believers. But in English we also use the small letter c for church and this is a building that has a local congregation of believers.

From the book Lutheranism 101 here are reasons to join a church:

• Here God's Spirit comes to us with grace, mercy, and forgiveness.
  • Here God is faithful to His promises.
  • Here God's people, led by their pastor, worship, baptize, preach, teach, confess and forgive, gather at the Lord's Table, and reach others with the saving message of Christ.
  • Here God's people have the privilege of associating with others who are faithful to the Word and linked to us through common beliefs.
  • Here God's people build relationships with one another based on a strong foundation linked to Christ.

Don't you think those are good reasons to join?

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is one true Church (cap C) that encompasses the body of believers. But in English we also use the small letter c for church and this is a building that has a local congregation of believers.

• Here God's people, led by their pastor, worship, baptize, preach, teach, confess and forgive, gather at the Lord's Table, and reach others with the saving message of Christ.
  • Here God's people have the privilege of associating with others who are faithful to the Word and linked to us through common beliefs.
  • Here God's people build relationships with one another based on a strong foundation linked to Christ.

you can do all of that without officially joining a church.
There are some churches though that won't let you serve in some capacities without joining first. I would say that would be one reason for me to join if I wanted to serve in an official capacity

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are some churches though that won't let you serve in some capacities without joining first. I would say that would be one reason for me to join if I wanted to serve in an official capacity

Joining a church is not law but it does give us benefits as I listed above so there are good reasons TO join a church. Some people avoid joining a church because they ask, "What's the point?"

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you somehow think that you can baptize and commune yourself, share fellowship with your imaginary friend, and have no need of any instruction in the word because you are already a great theologian, yes. ;)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Sounds good.....

I think being a part of a parish also means...

1. We are in community rather than an isolated, individualistic, loner (and an easy target for the Evil One). "It's not Jesus and ME but Jesus and WE" God places us into the community of the family and the church.

2. AA, Weight Watchers, etc. are all based on being a part of a community - with support and accountability.

3. Each Christian is a part of a BODY, not the whole enchilada.... Scripture stresses we are to be connected with other believers working together, each contributing uniquely.... Christians are more like members of an orchestra rather than a solo artist.

4. The community of the parish keeps me from going off according to my own opinions and emotions..... the church is an anchor keeping me sound and solid in the truth. Encouraging me to be sound in morality. Encouraging me to be active in ministry. Keeping my eyes on Jesus rather than on ME, ME, ME.

- Josiah

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Thread seems misplaced. Where are the question(s)?

I could list my reasons for not joining a church, but I suppose that might be like, debating or something?

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Meanwhile...two questions that apparently cause some religious people difficulty get moved.

Lame.

Really, really telling.

Don't join a church for the simple reason that it will offend your most basic sense.

For all Christian people show that they are willing to believe complete bull stuff that a 12 year old can counter. They simply cant count 3 days and 3 nights. Prepare to subject yourself to the ultimate brainwashing that treats you like an imbecile.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I could list my reasons for not joining a church, but I suppose that might be like, debating or something?

Oh yes, thanks for reminding me that my question got knocked off the post... I'll add it into the OP.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Oh yes, thanks for reminding me that my question got knocked off the post... I'll add it into the OP.

I think your are not being forthright. The message board conspired to remove a question, or is this some glitch that heretofore has never occurred before?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think your are not being forthright. The message board conspired to remove a question, or is this some glitch that heretofore has never occurred before?

I did not say that the message board did that. I am taking responsibility by way of my own keyboard. I'm not blaming the site.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I did not say that the message board did that. I am taking responsibility by way of my own keyboard. I'm not blaming the site.

Thanks for clarifying, as the first quote above does seem to indicate that.

Carry on...

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

There'll be none of that here, this is a happy dictatorship, and everyone gladly and willfully complies.....or else!

Also, the fact that the forum is titled 'Ask a Christian' is just a formality. Errr, a truncated version?
It's like one of those Rock Song titles that has the longer version in parenthesis ... Like The Rolling Stones "(I can't get no)Satisfaction"
In this case...
"(If you want to be ignored or shrugged off like a second-class citizen)Ask a Christian"

(The full title wouldnt fit on the header)

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

Don't you think those are good reasons to join?

This question begs debate through anyone who happens to answer "no" to the list and premise provided. Why post it here unless it's just for all the church goers to agree on?

Lammchen has said to me that this section is for people genuinely seeking answers about the Christian faith, and it is a "no debate" area. So as a member of the mainstream Christian faith, why is this question being asked? It's not for someone seeking an answer, it's for someone seeking agreement.

I'm sorry. This is hypocritical. My questions originally in this section were moved on this very premise.

Lame. Shows that garbage reasons are invented when Christians don't like the questions being asked.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Okay Strav. You've had your say.

I have been asked by people why they shouldn't go to church and they aren't ones to post and ask it outright here on the forum but I know they lurk. I am asking those lurkers aren't those reasons in my OP good ones? I'm sincerely asking them.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Joining a church is not law but it does give us benefits as I listed above so there are good reasons TO join a church. Some people avoid joining a church because they ask, "What's the point?"

And some churches don't have a formal joining process. If your a regular attender and contribute then your considered a member.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Eeehhh.. coffee? j/k :read:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And some churches don't have a formal joining process. If your a regular attender and contribute then your considered a member.

This was meant for encouragement and ask those who are on the fence if those are good reasons to join. There are many people who haven't found the right congregation. And there are homebound people who cannot be active members. Joining a church isn't law but an opportunity :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sounds good.....

I think being a part of a parish also means...

1. We are in community rather than an isolated, individualistic, loner (and an easy target for the Evil One). "It's not Jesus and ME but Jesus and WE" God places us into the community of the family and the church.

2. AA, Weight Watchers, etc. are all based on being a part of a community - with support and accountability.

3. Each Christian is a part of a BODY, not the whole enchilada.... Scripture stresses we are to be connected with other believers working together, each contributing uniquely.... Christians are more like members of an orchestra rather than a solo artist.

4. The community of the parish keeps me from going off according to my own opinions and emotions..... the church is an anchor keeping me sound and solid in the truth. Encouraging me to be sound in morality. Encouraging me to be active in ministry. Keeping my eyes on Jesus rather than on ME, ME, ME.

- Josiah

I'm very glad you added to the list because I meant to ask what other things members here could come up with!

Top Bottom