• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: Thoughts on the 'annihilationism' Thread

jsimms435 is offline Child of God
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      90.8%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      It's reincarnation, IOW. But there is almost nothing in Scripture to support that particular POV.
      There is however evidence to support that reincarnation is not true such as these verses in Hebrews 9:27-28
      27 "Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him."

Highlighting and underlining mine

Pedrito is offline Clarifier
      Married
      Hyding from Jekyll

Mood:
      ----

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      50.97%
      Continued...(Continuing to address diversions, because as each diversion is addressed, it emphasises the thought that the diversion was supposed to defang.)

Me in Post #9, concentrating in particular on the diversionary shot at the Pharisees and their Scriptural beliefs found in Post #6, but also on diversionary tactics in general: Why is there such a need felt to adopt diversionary tactics to draw attention away from particular Holy Revelation (from the Great God of creation and salvation), instead of embracing it?

The response from atpollard in Post #12 commenced: Boredom, and then went on to state that I wander down “bunny trails”, followed by I find myself growing impatient for the actual point. In this case, what does anything in post #1 or post #5 have to do with annihilationism?...I think it is less about diversion and more a cry to "make your point" already.

================================================== ============================================

I ask the Reader:
      - Is it true that the following statements from Post #5 have nothing to do with (so-called) annihilationism?
      - Is it true that those statements were not making a point?

The Pharisees accepted both the Law and the Prophets (the Protestant Old Testament) as being holy writings given by God to them. They believed that rescue from death would be by a future resurrection, as their holy writings indicated.

...there was no notion of consciousness after death.

They did understand that after the resurrection there would be some kind of worldwide judgement.

================================================== ============================================

If those statements are not material with respect to “annihilationism”, and if they are not making a point, then I must seek to amend my ways.

If those statements are material with respect to “annihilationism”, and if they are making a point, then the statements in Post #12 (above) prove themselves to be purely tactical.

It seems that it is “unacceptable” for God’s Holy Revelation to appear to contradict cherished, Post-Nicene doctrines.

And whenever the plain statements are there, the need to revert to courtroom tactics is established.
      Seeking to understand with precision, God's holy and coherent revelation to us.

jsimms435 is offline Child of God
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      90.8%
      There is no diversion (as you call it). You mentioned 2 Timoty 3:14-17 in an earlier post which says

4 "You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is [a]inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for [b]training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

And the Pharisees did affirm the truth of Scripture and that it is profitable for teaching, reproof, correction and training in righteousness. That is true. They believed in a resurrection of the physical body from the dead in the last day. Martha and Mary affirmed that when Jesus came and spoke to them at Lazarus grave before Jesus raised him. Jesus then referred to himself and the resurrection and the life.

Then you made a point in a later post that you believe the soul simply ceases to exist and then somehow is resurrected. I asked you to show scripture to support your view and you have not. If you want to prove your point to us then give us scripture that affirm a "ceasing of existence" of the soul. There isn't any in all of scripture. It simply isn't there.