Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Five Minutes a Day with Luther
Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Bible Passage:Gal 1:13-14

For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure, and tried to destroy it; and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions.

Paul quotes here his own example, saying. I have in the past defended the traditions of the Pharisees, and the Jewish religion, more constantly than you and all your false teachers. Now, if the righteousness of the law had been worth anything, I would not have turned back from it; although in the keeping of it, before I knew Christ, I so exercised myself, and so profited therein, that I excelled many of my companions of mine own nation. Being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. In this place Paul treats not of the pharisaical traditions, but of a far higher matter: the law of Moses, which he calls the fathers' traditions; that is to say, received and left as an inheritance from the fathers. For these, said he, when I was in the Jewish religion, I was very zealous. To the Philippians he writes: "As concerning the law. I was a Pharisee; concerning zeal, I persecuted the Church; and as concerning the righteousness of the law, I was unrebukable." As though he would say: Here I may glory and compare with the whole nation of the Jews, yea. even with the best and holiest of all those which are of the circumcision. Let them show me, if they can, a more zealous and earnest defender of Moses' law than I have been. This ought to have persuaded you not to believe these deceivers, which magnify the righteousness of the law as a matter ,of great importance whereas if there were any cause to glory in the righteousness of the law, I have more cause to glory than any.

The darkness of my former state,
The bondage, all was mine;
The light of life in which I walk,
The liberty is Thine.

Top Bottom