Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I've heard people say I'm not religious but I'm spiritual. What does that mean?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
To me it means a personal one on one relationship with Jesus and not what the church or man says it is.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Almost always it seems the person adopts eastern mysticism and things like yoga and meditation and doesn't go to a established church

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Almost always it seems the person adopts eastern mysticism and things like yoga and meditation and doesn't go to a established church

This is somewhat what I've heard but there Christians too who don't want others to know they're Christian so they just say they're spiritual.

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
Well Being religious means following a religion whilst being spiritual means being 'alive' to the world of spirits. So I am afraid for me neither is very complimentary. After all the Pharisees were religious and Satan is spiritual!

Pete from Peterborough UK

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well Being religious means following a religion whilst being spiritual means being 'alive' to the world of spirits. So I am afraid for me neither is very complimentary. After all the Pharisees were religious and Satan is spiritual!

Pete from Peterborough UK

Jesus seemed really religious to me.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We are to worship in SPIRIT and truth and yes the world of spirits is alive and well good and bad so we better know the difference and be able to discern

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Religious means do this do that out of your own strength but thats man made religion what they mean. Not real religion like James says.
Spiritual, they mean like Romans 8, get lead by the Spirit I think.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Yes that too.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me personally; I don't too much say I am religious, because people automatically want to class you as a member of some denomination or sect. I don't believe division along sect or denomination or even religion is correct. I believe those who are faithful to GOD make up the separate leaves of the same One vine regardless of the divisions of man, and not due to them.

One saying they are spiritual could mean any level of things. They may consider themselves wholly Christian but not of a particular sect or division. They may understand that all life is ultimately of One source, but do not have the discernment or knowledge it takes to rightly divide their own spirit/s and motive/s. A spiritual person can even be an atheist or a pagan or polytheist, or deist in my experience. I actually know a few atheists that when pressed, will indeed agree that there is a singular spiritual source for all creation (deism).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think PART of it is radical individualism.

Some people see SPIRITUALITY as an uber-individualistic, personal, private thing. No community, no relationships, no cooperation, no accountability... no need for morality or anything else. Christianity is just God and ME.

I think they see RELIGION as something that suggests community, cooperation, relationships, accountability, brothers and sisters willing to raise the issue if whether what we preach is true, what we do is moral. Many want a religion that involves nothing and no one but Jesus and SELF, the feelings of self, the opinions of self - the chapel being their own shower. It's a result of the uber-individualism that has ravaged the West since the Enlightenment.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

That is going to depend on the person saying it. I highly doubt that such a response could be generalized into a single definition.

In many social circles, religion is lightly tolerated, because it is often such a divisive issue, and arguments are easily ignited. If I heard a person say this I wouldn't assume exactly what is meant by it, but if they didn't wish to elaborate, I'd take it as an indication that they don't wish to discuss private/personal matters/beliefs with the person who inquired and basically a way of saying "this is not your business".

Top Bottom