Are there certain topics you won't ask your pastor?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Are there certain topics you won't ask your pastor about? Do you go to him for more than theological discussion?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are there certain topics you won't ask your pastor about? Do you go to him for more than theological discussion?

At the last church I attended, I talked with the pastor several times. One when they played secular music during the worship service and another to ask what groups or affiliations they were a part of. I didn't discuss any theological issues with him. I think as a former pastor myself you would find that most conversations a pastor has are not theological, but have to do with the regular daily activities of the church, dealing with someone who isn't happy or something like that. Most pastors would probably love to have a good theological discussion with someone.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
At the last church I attended, I talked with the pastor several times. One when they played secular music during the worship service and another to ask what groups or affiliations they were a part of. I didn't discuss any theological issues with him. I think as a former pastor myself you would find that most conversations a pastor has are not theological, but have to do with the regular daily activities of the church, dealing with someone who isn't happy or something like that. Most pastors would probably love to have a good theological discussion with someone.

I love asking theological questions. It was easier when I lived near the church and I was there all the time working on choir things and I could go in the office and talk to the pastor and ask him things. Sometimes just a simple clarification helped out a lot and other times I brought discussions from when I was on other message boards and couldn't figure out how to relate to what the person was asking. Sometimes just having him tell me, Well they don't understand Original Sin gave me a way to respond appropriately once I got online again.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

LOL no he says how it is. Preachers dont discuss, w new believers after the preaching he does.
On cf in charismatic/ Spirit filled were a lot of preachers who were so not used t ppl questioning them. Funny. They just preached there. This is it. Listen. LOL then they could all have their own seperate preach threads. One left and has his own forum where he's the only one who posts and sometimes someone comments yay! or Amen!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
LOL no he says how it is. Preachers dont discuss, w new believers after the preaching he does.
On cf in charismatic/ Spirit filled were a lot of preachers who were so not used t ppl questioning them. Funny. They just preached there. This is it. Listen. LOL then they could all have their own seperate preach threads. One left and has his own forum where he's the only one who posts and sometimes someone comments yay! or Amen!

Your preachers don't allow the members to visit them during office hours to talk?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I used to speak at length with a few different pastors at churches I attended in the past. I remember on a few different occasions having my understanding corrected particularly on certain passages of the Hebrew scriptures that I was misunderstanding at the time. One such man was also a friend who I could speak with on many different topics.

As for topics I wouldn't bother with, it would be those that are deeply rooted in church practice and tradition. Specifically - day of worship,sign of Jonah, apostleship of Paul. When one is in a church environment with friends/family, the stuff that doesn't add up are oddities that just get ignored because if they're pressed, the tension usually rises.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
So far the only thing I can say about just about every post on this thread, is, 'Wow, that's a shame, but it explains alot'. ... And I dont say that in a mocking or belittling way, but in sincerity and genuine heartfelt concern in the spirit of brotherly love. God bless you.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Your preachers don't allow the members to visit them during office hours to talk?

My ex is my preacher. They can come over any time and ask whatever they want, but he preaches and during the preaching we had ppl in the past who would yell: I do not agree w that because verse so and such says this and that or Job this and that and then he'd always say: write it down please, questions after the service. He still has to say that w new ppl but they simply have questions. Those ppl w their own opinions who just want to discuss and argue I rarely see em. Why on earth would you discuss doctrin w a preacher? He preaches. If you dont agree w his doctrin better find another church.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean w theological discussion.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My ex is my preacher. They can come over any time and ask whatever they want, but he preaches and during the preaching we had ppl in the past who would yell: I do not agree w that because verse so and such says this and that or Job this and that and then he'd always say: write it down please, questions after the service. He still has to say that w new ppl but they simply have questions. Those ppl w their own opinions who just want to discuss and argue I rarely see em. Why on earth would you discuss doctrin w a preacher? He preaches. If you dont agree w his doctrin better find another church.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean w theological discussion.

OH I never meant for anyone to interrupt the pastor preaching during his sermon! That's so rude :( I meant talking with the pastor outside of the worship service.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
OH I never meant for anyone to interrupt the pastor preaching during his sermon! That's so rude :( I meant talking with the pastor outside of the worship service.

I think they did that w Paul too and thats why he said shut up and ask your husband at home.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think they did that w Paul too and thats why he said shut up and ask your husband at home.

Yes, women have been the joke of men of having loud mouths for eons! LOL

Top Bottom