Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Some of the bigger congregations around, both non-denominational and denominational ones, have thousands of members who seem to be attracted by the great number of non-spiritual (for want of a better term) activities that are offered. They give the place the quality of a second home or a lodge or newcomers club. For example, one near me has bowling and softball teams (which is not unusual), but also sponsors mixers and other gatherings for the recently-divorced members, regular fitness programs offered in the church's weight-training room (complete with nice tee-shirts that say "Lifting for God" or something like that), drama clubs that put on plays and light shows at Christmas and Easter for the whole community, video rooms for the production of films for people interested in doing that, and etc. Of course, there is the coffee lounge on the premises where worshippers can relax and chat before the service begins.

Meanwhile, I have heard some of the members chatting on the bus or elsewhere and talking as though the church is essentially about being settled in life, content, productive, and friendly. That's what Christ wanted for us, you know.

Not wanting to be overly critical, and recognizing that some of this can be found in more conventional congregations and parishes, I still wonder if all these optional activities are beneficial to the church's real purpose...or are counter-productive instead. What do you think?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Some of the bigger congregations around, both non-denominational and denominational ones, have thousands of members who seem to be attracted by the great number of non-spiritual (for want of a better term) activities that are offered. They give the place the quality of a second home or a lodge or newcomers club. For example, one near me has bowling and softball teams (which is not unusual), but also sponsors mixers and other gatherings for the recently-divorced members, regular fitness programs offered in the church's weight-training room (complete with nice tee-shirts that say "Lifting for God" or something like that), drama clubs that put on plays and light shows at Christmas and Easter for the whole community, video rooms for the production of films for people interested in doing that, and etc. Of course, there is the coffee lounge on the premises where worshippers can relax and chat before the service begins.

Meanwhile, I have heard some of the members chatting on the bus or elsewhere and talking as though the church is essentially about being settled in life, content, productive, and friendly. That's what Christ wanted for us, you know.

Not wanting to be overly critical, and recognizing that some of this can be found in more conventional congregations and parishes, I still wonder if all these optional activities are beneficial to the church's real purpose...or are counter-productive instead. What do you think?
I think the more people are involved at church the better, less time for non productive activities and hopefully nthey are being exposed to christian way fo life and the Word

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Imo, some of what you mentioned would be productive in the life of the church body - the occasional softball league or bowling night, youth outings to baseball games, skate park, whatever. My parent's church hosts monthly "coffee-house nights" (they don't have a coffee bar) and will have local music acts (jazz and acoustic mostly). It enhances the life of the church body, and a sense of togetherness, rather than splitting up into 'sects'.

I receive blog posts from an evangelical site (Crosswalk) on my Facebook page that will often warn that "Church is not for us to be entertained"! Really??
Sometimes I wonder. I left the evangelical churches because some seemed to be turning into the entertainment venues they didn't want to be. And I didn't really want to be part of a church body that separated into different 'sects', but came together as a whole body.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
To clarify my OP, I know that some of this (softball teams in the church league, for instance) are good to have, most people would agree. It's when we get to the less obvious ones and the great number of such activities that worship and instruction might begin to seem of secondary importance to the average member or prospective member.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't mind belonging to a church that offers activities to the members. I've belonged to churches that had some things listed but not a bowling alley or coffee shop! There are some lonely people who like being with other Christians.

The flip side is that if all the Christians are hanging out only with Christians, then how are we doing the "go ye into the world and spread the gospel?" I think that needs to be said so that the world doesn't see Christians as a clique or a club and not see us as little Christs. We need to go out and be with our neighbors to love and help them, not just our Christian neighbors.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have mixed feelings....

On the one hand, I think SOME congregations actually TRY to be as secular as they can be, to duplicate what the secular world offers - but in no other form. To be fun and social. I wonder about that.... I do think it detracts the church from her mission.

On the other hand, I think what is often called "fellowship events" can help "bond" the congregation and provide opportunities for outreach (some friends will come to a progressive dinner but not an Easter Worship as their first contact with the church). But in my opinion, they should strive to be in some way distinctively Christian (where that's possible) and should have a focus on bonding and/or outreach - not just to duplicate secular activities.

My half cent

- Josiah

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm all for congregations organizing extracurricular activities as long as the main focus of the church is on the 'Great Commission'. Matthew 28:16-20

First because it affords an environment beyond purely service oriented. Although that's a great way to get to know others better but many times its the same people who sign up for service projects that these 'entertainment' events give those individuals a change to slow down and take a breath and needed break.

Second our congregation sponsors events like 'Trunk or treat' and invite the surrounding neighborhood creating a great way for them to get a little more familiar with us hopefully resulting in a return visit to check out our worship service.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I would think it could be a bad or good thing depending on how you use those activities. For some seniors, it might be their own activities to do with other christian friends and help with loneliness and help them feel like they are a part of something bigger than themselves. Most churches though don't have the type of activities or resources that your talking about. When I worked at a rural church in East Texas, the church was the social hang out place because there was nothing else. Literally, nothing else to do. We were in the middle of nowhere. So having an ice cream social or even having a family fun night where you watch a movie or play games is better than getting into trouble

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I worked at a rural church in East Texas, the church was the social hang out place because there was nothing else. Literally, nothing else to do. We were in the middle of nowhere. So having an ice cream social or even having a family fun night where you watch a movie or play games is better than getting into trouble
I certainly appreciate this. It is the greatly expanded use of such things, along with the impression that I think is given to some members concerning what the most important objective of the church really is, that caused me to ask the question.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think a lot depends on how they are presented. Things that encourage fellowship between believers is a good thing - fellowship can be more than endlessly discussing theological matters.

It can also be good to make "the church" a less intimidating place for non-believers. A friend of mine was involved in a project that renovated a warehouse behind his church. The church bought the building, received a reasonable grant from the local council to help fix it up, and joined it on to the church. It was remarkable that an overtly religious establishment should receive public money like that, although one of the conditions was that it would be available for community activities. Which works just perfectly for them and their intentions - they host all sorts of secular activities during the week, whether it be the bridge club or the volleyball team or whatever else. The people from within the church attend many of the events and invite their friends. The friends get used to being in the building so it's less intimidating for them if they want to come on a Sunday morning to see what the church is all about.

On the flip side, sometimes I've got the impression that outreach events are little more than bait-and-switch, effectively tricking people into entering the church building expecting one thing so you can then preach to them and rely on their politeness to stop them just leaving. Sometimes people get into the mindset that their unsaved friends and family need to be "in church" (meaning, physically present in the church building) if there's to be any hope of God reaching them. One lady I knew at my last church was concerned for her (non-believing) husband because they were moving away and she was afraid that in their new home he wouldn't have a reason to go to church. In the course of conversation I mentioned that God's power doesn't stop at the threshold of the church, and it was as if she hadn't even considered that.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
On the flip side, sometimes I've got the impression that outreach events are little more than bait-and-switch, effectively tricking people into entering the church building expecting one thing so you can then preach to them and rely on their politeness to stop them just leaving. Sometimes people get into the mindset that their unsaved friends and family need to be "in church" (meaning, physically present in the church building) if there's to be any hope of God reaching them. One lady I knew at my last church was concerned for her (non-believing) husband because they were moving away and she was afraid that in their new home he wouldn't have a reason to go to church. In the course of conversation I mentioned that God's power doesn't stop at the threshold of the church, and it was as if she hadn't even considered that.

I feel this way too. It seems that this has too often been part of the church's plan or, if not that, is what the church settled into after some of its extracurricular activities proved to be popular.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I feel this way too. It seems that this has too often been part of the church's plan or, if not that, is what the church settled into after some of its extracurricular activities proved to be popular.

I don't have a problem with a church building being used for something other than church services. My former church sometimes used their projector system to show football games, with the intention being people could invite their friends to watch the game. The church had a policy disallowing any alcohol on the premises which meant a lot of people who might have come didn't come because many people, particularly outside the church, tend to combine football and beer. But for those who came they got to watch the match without any pressure and without a sermon hidden away somewhere.

On the other hand one day they had a former boxer coming in to talk. I forget the details (it wasn't an event I had any interest in) but the former boxer was now a Christian so it didn't take a genius to figure there would be a testimony in there somewhere. From what I gather he didn't talk about his boxing career at all, he just got straight into his testimony and little more than preaching. Many people, including many within the church, left very disappointed because they wanted to hear something of his past and he just didn't give anything away. I can only imagine how many from outside the church felt they had been subjected to a bait-and-switch.

From what people say "going to church" is intimidating to those outside the church. Personally when I became a Christian I picked the nearest church to home that I thought might be suitable and walked in one Sunday morning. Apparently many people don't do that, in which case it's probably good to give them a chance to become familiar with the church, where things are, even where the bathrooms are. I can imagine it being pretty awkward if you're attending a service for the first time in your life, desperately need to use the bathroom, but have no idea where to find it and don't want people judging you for ducking out part way through the service.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think if the extra activities are advertised enough that it could bring in people who wouldn't normally feel comfortable going to a service but might want to participate in an activity. Then they could build relationships with church goers and it might make it an easier decision to go to the service eventually.

Top Bottom