Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I was looking at this article about Methodist beliefs that sinless perfection is possible today for people.

Salvation is the result of a process of conversion, away from sin and toward God. Methodists believe that all humans are born sinners, thus all require conversion to be saved. Conversion may be sudden and dramatic or gradual. It consists of responding positively to God's prevenient grace, and to accepting the offer of justifying grace (the forgiveness of sins). With justifying grace comes also God's sanctifying grace, the supernatural assistance we need to make possible a life of increasing success in turning away from temptation, not allowing ourselves to sin, and performing works of piety and mercy. Methodists have historically differed from Presbyterians in believing that you can approach sinless perfection, and in believing that if you do not make progress toward perfection, you can lose your salvation.
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/library/methodist/beliefs/afterlife-and-salvation#22ZhbC9JbjiZeKmB.99

If your Methodist do you agree with this statement?

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe that the teaching you are speaking of is tricky. Wesley thought that it was possible to advance in ones spiritual development to the point that you could reach the point of not committing a serious sin. However, before we say that he--or Methodists after him--thought that a believer should or could become perfect, what he believed (as I understand it) was that they might reach a point where they would not consciously choose to commit a sin, not that they would become perfect.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I believe that the teaching you are speaking of is tricky. Wesley thought that it was possible to advance in ones spiritual development to the point that you could reach the point of not committing a serious sin. However, before we say that he--or Methodists after him--thought that a believer should or could become perfect, what he believed (as I understand it) was that they might reach a point where they would not consciously choose to commit a sin, not that they would become perfect.
It's also what Pentecostals believe and there is nothing more important than becoming Christ-like... I wish them all the best but grace IS gradual, I'm very aware and confident that I will be much much more holier when I am an elder compared to the man I am now in his early 30s.
To believe in perfectionism is a tough one to follow because you have to be as perfect today as you will be tomorrow or years or decades down the road, if we are growing in experience and grace I just find it absolutely absurd to believe that we can control it unless by a very very supernatural near death type experience maybe, but not everyone will get that... an ever growing sense of conviction should have us rest easy in our dying day and we should be thankful for it, we should be the most 'perfect' on THAT day than ever and raised again into complete perfection.

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yup, posta two and three is what I believe and I am both pentecostal and methodist

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's also what Pentecostals believe and there is nothing more important than becoming Christ-like... I wish them all the best but grace IS gradual, I'm very aware and confident that I will be much much more holier when I am an elder compared to the man I am now in his early 30s.
To believe in perfectionism is a tough one to follow because you have to be as perfect today as you will be tomorrow or years or decades down the road, if we are growing in experience and grace I just find it absolutely absurd to believe that we can control it unless by a very very supernatural near death type experience maybe, but not everyone will get that... an ever growing sense of conviction should have us rest easy in our dying day and we should be thankful for it, we should be the most 'perfect' on THAT day than ever and raised again into complete perfection.
I'm not sure from your post that you are referring to the same concept of perfection, but youre right about Pentecostals. Pentecostalism grew out of the Holiness movement which itself grew out of Methodism.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was looking at this article about Methodist beliefs that sinless perfection is possible today for people.

Salvation is the result of a process of conversion, away from sin and toward God. Methodists believe that all humans are born sinners, thus all require conversion to be saved. Conversion may be sudden and dramatic or gradual. It consists of responding positively to God's prevenient grace, and to accepting the offer of justifying grace (the forgiveness of sins). With justifying grace comes also God's sanctifying grace, the supernatural assistance we need to make possible a life of increasing success in turning away from temptation, not allowing ourselves to sin, and performing works of piety and mercy. Methodists have historically differed from Presbyterians in believing that you can approach sinless perfection, and in believing that if you do not make progress toward perfection, you can lose your salvation.
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/library/methodist/beliefs/afterlife-and-salvation#22ZhbC9JbjiZeKmB.99

If your Methodist do you agree with this statement?

I'm not Methodist... but here's my response....

Methodists believe that all humans are born sinners, thus all require conversion to be saved.

Agreed. The unregenerate are "DEAD." Which is why Jesus stated that His purpose/mission is that we may have life. And it means that the DEAD cannot think, choose, say, decide or do anything whatsoever regarding salvation.... God is the GIVER of life (not the Offerer of Life).

Salvation is the result of a process of conversion, away from sin and toward God. Conversion may be sudden and dramatic or gradual. It consists of responding positively to God's prevenient grace, and to accepting the offer of justifying grace (the forgiveness of sins).

I strongly (and foundationally) disagree. This makes justification progressive and synergistic. This concept of Justification is the very thing Protestants protested in Catholicism. Justification is 100% God's act and it's always 100% done; one is justified or one is not (there's no inbetween), one is alive or one is dead (there's no inbetween).

Sanctification (our life as one now given life, our discipleship, our becoming more Christ-like) IS progressive and synergistic - but that's not "conversion" or "justification", it's living. On January 23, 1988 God GAVE me life (well, 9 months before that, I'd argue). I didn't choose it, decide for it, agree with it - I couldn't because I didn't yet exist as a person. God GAVE physical life to me for the simple reason that that's the ONLY POSSIBLE way it could happen. "The free gift of God." Council of Orange. Nicene Creed. BUT once converted, justified, regenerated, born again..... immediately are called to grow, we are called to be as perfect as God is perfect, as holy as God is holy, as loving as God is loving, to be like Christ. We grow toward that.

At least part of the problem I have with this is that it totally confuses, merges and mixes up the two (in exactly the same way as post-Trent Catholicism) and creates a situation whereas Jesus is not really the Savior and we're never really saved but that it's a Pelagian, synergistic progress whereby God OFFERS and EMPOWERS (perhaps) but we actually do it (slowly, inperfectly - suggesting Purgatory or Reincarnation so we can finish the job of converting ourselves).

It consists of responding positively to God's prevenient grace, and to accepting the offer of justifying grace (the forgiveness of sins).

As in modern Catholicism, this is justification by our works and as a matter of keeping the Law. It implies that we are justified by matter of the Law and by keeping the Law, it just changes the Great Commandment ("love") of Catholicism with "accepting the offer" of Methodistism, it makes Jesus the Possibility Maker rather than the Savior, and it makes the Holy Spirit the Offerer of life rather than the Giver of life; it makes justification not "the gift of God" as Scripture says but the reward for keeping the Law of "accepting."

With justifying grace comes also God's sanctifying grace, the supernatural assistance we need to make possible a life of increasing success in turning away from temptation, not allowing ourselves to sin, and performing works of piety and mercy.

A different matter; sanctification IS synergistic and progressive - but not "salvation" "justification" "conversion" "regeneration." I think the central point of Protestantism is that Jesus IS THE Savior (and not ourselves - in whole or in part) - Luther got excommunicated for saying that. But yes, once justified/converted/regenerated - born again as the free gift of God (always total, always complete) THEN we are called to grow in life, love and service.... now justified/converted/saved we are called to love as we have first been loved.... to give as we have been given..... to become like Christ. Again, I was born January 23, 1988 (my birthday was yesterday). I had NOTHING to do with that, God GAVE me life. But BECAUSE I was given that, BECAUSE I'm alive, I'm called to constantly grow, mature, love, serve..... When we blend them.... put these two things in a blender (with a LOT of water), punch "high" and let it go for hours - what we get is a muddy, confused, entangled, mixed-up, watered down mess that is Pelagian and ultimately denies the central, chief article of faith of Protestantism (and I believe Christianity): Jesus is the Savior. We get the same MESS as in Catholicism, "God helps those who help themselves..... God makes salvation possible but you gotta achieve it..... Jesus opens the gate to heaven but you have to get through it..... No one is ever really saved, you just get closer (and so need Purgatory).... salvation is a matter of you keeping the Law.....

Methodists have historically differed from Presbyterians in believing that you can approach sinless perfection

"Approach?" That's a slippery, meaningless term, lol. I mean my Buddhist coworker is extremely nice and outwardly seems better than the majority of Christians known to me...... is he thereby converted?

The Bible says, "No one is righteous, no, not even one." SAINT Paul states that he is "chief of sinners." The Bible says, "For all have sinned and fallen short." I agree with that.

True, in SANCTIFICATION, we are called to grow. But when there's even the remote implication that THAT is how WE achieve justification, then we've returned to Rome and the very thing Protestants protested; we've simply denounced Jesus as the Savior and made self the Savior (Jesus bumped to Possibility Maker, the Holy Spirit to Offering, God to just "helper"). Yes, I agree we can loose our salvation but that's because we can denounce our faith ("commit spiritual suicide" as Billy Graham put it) but it's lack of faith that means justification is not ours. Yes, a life of WILLFUL sin CAN lead to that, but it's not the sin that means justification is not ours (or none would be justified with "all have sinned"), it's because that constant, willful sin is capable of murdering our faith.

you can lose your salvation.

.... then we must have HAD it. How can you loose something you don't have? Or is the point that we'd "lose" the percentage of it that we had achieved?

I'd agree we CAN kill our faith, and thus lose our salvation ("commit spiritual suicide) but that's because I believe when God gives it, we have it. We don't accomplish it slowly, gradually.... I believe it is the Gift of God, and accomplished by Christ (not imperfectly but completely). Thus it IS ours (fully). But I agree with Methodist (and not hyper-Calvinists) that while we can do NOTHING to accomplish our conversion/justification/regeneration, we can kill our faith and thus our spiritual life/justification/conversion. I can't give myself physical life.... I can terminate it.

That's how I see it.....

- Josiah

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not Methodist... but here's my response....

Agreed. The unregenerate are "DEAD." Which is why Jesus stated that His purpose/mission is that we may have life. And it means that the DEAD cannot think, choose, say, decide or do anything whatsoever regarding salvation.... God is the GIVER of life (not the Offerer of Life).

I strongly (and foundationally) disagree. This makes justification progressive and synergistic. This concept of Justification is the very thing Protestants protested in Catholicism. Justification is 100% God's act and it's always 100% done; one is justified or one is not (there's no inbetween), one is alive or one is dead (there's no inbetween).

Sanctification (our life as one now given life, our discipleship, our becoming more Christ-like) IS progressive and synergistic - but that's not "conversion" or "justification", it's living. On January 23, 1988 God GAVE me life (well, 9 months before that, I'd argue). I didn't choose it, decide for it, agree with it - I couldn't because I didn't yet exist as a person. God GAVE physical life to me for the simple reason that that's the ONLY POSSIBLE way it could happen. "The free gift of God." Council of Orange. Nicene Creed. BUT once converted, justified, regenerated, born again..... immediately are called to grow, we are called to be as perfect as God is perfect, as holy as God is holy, as loving as God is loving, to be like Christ. We grow toward that.

At least part of the problem I have with this is that it totally confuses, merges and mixes up the two (in exactly the same way as post-Trent Catholicism) and creates a situation whereas Jesus is not really the Savior and we're never really saved but that it's a Pelagian, synergistic progress whereby God OFFERS and EMPOWERS (perhaps) but we actually do it (slowly, inperfectly - suggesting Purgatory or Reincarnation so we can finish the job of converting ourselves).

As in modern Catholicism, this is justification by our works and as a matter of keeping the Law. It implies that we are justified by matter of the Law and by keeping the Law, it just changes the Great Commandment ("love") of Catholicism with "accepting the offer" of Methodistism, it makes Jesus the Possibility Maker rather than the Savior, and it makes the Holy Spirit the Offerer of life rather than the Giver of life; it makes justification not "the gift of God" as Scripture says but the reward for keeping the Law of "accepting."

A different matter; sanctification IS synergistic and progressive - but not "salvation" "justification" "conversion" "regeneration." I think the central point of Protestantism is that Jesus IS THE Savior (and not ourselves - in whole or in part) - Luther got excommunicated for saying that. But yes, once justified/converted/regenerated - born again as the free gift of God (always total, always complete) THEN we are called to grow in life, love and service.... now justified/converted/saved we are called to love as we have first been loved.... to give as we have been given..... to become like Christ. Again, I was born January 23, 1988 (my birthday was yesterday). I had NOTHING to do with that, God GAVE me life. But BECAUSE I was given that, BECAUSE I'm alive, I'm called to constantly grow, mature, love, serve..... When we blend them.... put these two things in a blender (with a LOT of water), punch "high" and let it go for hours - what we get is a muddy, confused, entangled, mixed-up, watered down mess that is Pelagian and ultimately denies the central, chief article of faith of Protestantism (and I believe Christianity): Jesus is the Savior. We get the same MESS as in Catholicism, "God helps those who help themselves..... God makes salvation possible but you gotta achieve it..... Jesus opens the gate to heaven but you have to get through it..... No one is ever really saved, you just get closer (and so need Purgatory).... salvation is a matter of you keeping the Law.....

"Approach?" That's a slippery, meaningless term, lol. I mean my Buddhist coworker is extremely nice and outwardly seems better than the majority of Christians known to me...... is he thereby converted?

The Bible says, "No one is righteous, no, not even one." SAINT Paul states that he is "chief of sinners." The Bible says, "For all have sinned and fallen short." I agree with that.

True, in SANCTIFICATION, we are called to grow. But when there's even the remote implication that THAT is how WE achieve justification, then we've returned to Rome and the very thing Protestants protested; we've simply denounced Jesus as the Savior and made self the Savior (Jesus bumped to Possibility Maker, the Holy Spirit to Offering, God to just "helper"). Yes, I agree we can loose our salvation but that's because we can denounce our faith ("commit spiritual suicide" as Billy Graham put it) but it's lack of faith that means justification is not ours. Yes, a life of WILLFUL sin CAN lead to that, but it's not the sin that means justification is not ours (or none would be justified with "all have sinned"), it's because that constant, willful sin is capable of murdering our faith.

.... then we must have HAD it. How can you loose something you don't have? Or is the point that we'd "lose" the percentage of it that we had achieved?

I'd agree we CAN kill our faith, and thus lose our salvation ("commit spiritual suicide) but that's because I believe when God gives it, we have it. We don't accomplish it slowly, gradually.... I believe it is the Gift of God, and accomplished by Christ (not imperfectly but completely). Thus it IS ours (fully). But I agree with Methodist (and not hyper-Calvinists) that while we can do NOTHING to accomplish our conversion/justification/regeneration, we can kill our faith and thus our spiritual life/justification/conversion. I can't give myself physical life.... I can terminate it.

That's how I see it.....

- Josiah

I grew up Methodist. I can only say it led to always feeling unsure if God was pleased with you or not and doubting salvation. I never felt that sinless perfection was possible or even a goal this side of heaven.

Sent from my H710VL using Tapatalk

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I grew up Methodist. I can only say it led to always feeling unsure if God was pleased with you or not and doubting salvation. I never felt that sinless perfection was possible or even a goal this side of heaven.

How does Jesus fit in with all that is what I'd be asking. If we could be all that God wants, Jesus would never had had to die on the cross for our sins. I didn't realize that all Methodists believe that they can be sinless. Is that a normal doctrine of theirs or only in some of their churches?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How does Jesus fit in with all that is what I'd be asking. If we could be all that God wants, Jesus would never had had to die on the cross for our sins. I didn't realize that all Methodists believe that they can be sinless. Is that a normal doctrine of theirs or only in some of their churches?
It is a standard belief, and it comes from the original Methodist, John Wesley. However, his belief was really nuanced IMO so to say " everybody can achieve" ... or " be sinless" ...or something like that is, I think, incorrect. It is nothing that is taught like " everybody ought to be about doing this" , however.

As for how many members understand and believe it, I couldn't say. I have met some who do and yet I never have heard a sermon in a Methodist church that referred to it.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

I find the term weird. A guy on cf continually preached on that, he had real good stuff, but he could also be quite judgemental. I once made a thread there: Yay! It worked! I don't sin anymore!
I threw the kids out of the house.
It was Pauls goal, but to know Him was his goal. And then you're perfect in Love and like Him. But sinless perfection sounds like perfectionism and that it's never good enough and doing it yourself. If you would really have to not sin in any way always, also in speach, itd be best to pluck your tongue out, cut your fingers off and live alone and dont meet anyone. And then you're not perfect, cause you dont care about ppl at all and are only fixed on yourself and 'not sinning'.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

NOT thinking specifically of Methodist, I think ANYTIME the Gospel is mingled with the Law..... ANYTIME Jesus is not the Savior (but rather possibility-maker, enabler, helper, offerer) ... when justification is entangled with sanctification.... whether such is done intentionally/thoughtfully or otherwise...... then one of two things MUST results: 1) Little self-righteous Pharisees with an ever smaller sense of "Law" so that it becomes something they can and do achieve (but all others don't) what many of the Jews in Jesus' day did OR 2) a "terror of the conscience" as Luther put it, never sure if God loves you, never sure if you are forgiven, never sure if you are saved, never sure if heaven is your home (In God we can trust..... but if I'm involved even 0.00000000001% then I'm SCARED TO DEATH!!!"). Luther lived with the second and almost killed himself with fasting and such; he knew that "terror" and "fear" very well..... and it's why he SO rejoiced when he learned the Gospel. Law and Gospel are both true - they just aren't the same thing; justification and sanctification are both important - they are just not the same thing. Jesus saves. We respond. God gives live. We are to live. It's really not complicated. But it seems sinful man SURE can make it so.

Thanks for the important thread.

- Josiah

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I stated my beliefs and that is that as I will not be shaken or moved by words any more than you will be and I think this has been talked to death in other threads so why rehash it here, there must be a couple hunmdred pages of it already and I still do not accept the Lutheran position and cant as I believe it to be erronious. So pleae continue on and bash yet another denoms beliefs.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I removed my post

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
NOT thinking specifically of Methodist, I think ANYTIME the Gospel is mingled with the Law..... ANYTIME Jesus is not the Savior (but rather possibility-maker, enabler, helper, offerer) ... when justification is entangled with sanctification.... whether such is done intentionally/thoughtfully or otherwise...... then one of two things MUST results: 1) Little self-righteous Pharisees with an ever smaller sense of "Law" so that it becomes something they can and do achieve (but all others don't) what many of the Jews in Jesus' day did OR 2) a "terror of the conscience" as Luther put it, never sure if God loves you, never sure if you are forgiven, never sure if you are saved, never sure if heaven is your home (In God we can trust..... but if I'm involved even 0.00000000001% then I'm SCARED TO DEATH!!!"). Luther lived with the second and almost killed himself with fasting and such; he knew that "terror" and "fear" very well..... and it's why he SO rejoiced when he learned the Gospel. Law and Gospel are both true - they just aren't the same thing; justification and sanctification are both important - they are just not the same thing. Jesus saves. We respond. God gives live. We are to live. It's really not complicated. But it seems sinful man SURE can make it so.

Thanks for the important thread.

- Josiah

The problem with introducing the law at all is that Paul said if you broke one law you are guilty of all. So, in that sense, I was guilty before I even realized I was sinning. And if one sin is enough to send a person to hell that there was no hope for me from the very beginning.
That is why Paul said the law was our tutor to lead us to Christ. I use to say to people that if following the law and killing animals in the temple cleansed someone my hands would be bloody always and every sheep would be nervous. I wouldn't even make it out of the temple and have to turn around and go kill another animal. Eventually it becomes a bloody mess and you realize that if God is going to forgive you at all it is going to have to be because of Jesus and his grace and not because you earned it.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The problem with introducing the law at all is that Paul said if you broke one law you are guilty of all. So, in that sense, I was guilty before I even realized I was sinning. And if one sin is enough to send a person to hell that there was no hope for me from the very beginning.
That is why Paul said the law was our tutor to lead us to Christ. I use to say to people that if following the law and killing animals in the temple cleansed someone my hands would be bloody always and every sheep would be nervous. I wouldn't even make it out of the temple and have to turn around and go kill another animal. Eventually it becomes a bloody mess and you realize that if God is going to forgive you at all it is going to have to be because of Jesus and his grace and not because you earned it.

I agree....

Lutherans speak of the Law having two primary purposes:

+ In JUSTIFICATION, it kills, it crushes, it destroys, it forces us to our knees in the acknowledgement that we have fallen short (and can only fall short). "It is my fault, my grievest fault." "Have MERCY on ME, THE sinner." We come to realize that NOTHING of worth do I bring - I stand worthy of only one thing: eternal death. When the Law is watered down or mixed with God's grace, then we have rendered it impotent to do its job. In this sense, the Law must precede the Gospel since we must realize we are DEAD, we merit only hell, we desperately NEED to be saved. Like the Tax Collector in Jesus' parable, we must beat our chest and cry, "have mercy on me, the sinner." THEN we will listen to the Gospel - and welcome it. Until then, pride causes us to think we don't need no mercy (although maybe a little help now and then).

+ In SANCTIFICATION, it guides. It shows us what is the will of God; it serves as a "steering wheel" for our growth in Christ. We'll NEVER keep it perfectly (and since we aren't relying upon it for our salvation but rather CHRIST'S keeping it perfectly), that's not the issue. "This pleases God" and so it pleases us. Not that we are already perfect, but I press on to make it my own BECAUSE CHRIST HAS MADE ME HIS OWN." Both parts are important - we ARE to press on toward the goal - but not so that we may be saved (making self the Savior, not Christ) but BECAUSE we are saved. We love BECAUSE God first loved us, not SO THAT God will love us. As the Gospel shows us the heart of God and what He has done for us, so for the saved, the Law shows us the will of God and what we are called to do for Him through others. When the Law is watered down in sanctification, we become like a ship without a rudder or a car without a steering wheel.... love needs focus and direction.

- Josiah

Last edited:
Top Bottom