Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.12%
      I read that the N.T. isnt as accurate as the O.T., but thats what you get w those heathens. In the O.T. different scrolls there was 8 things different or so. If they had one letter wrong they could bury the whole thing.

jsimms435 is offline Child of God
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      95.65%
      Quote Originally Posted by Imalive View Post
      I read that the N.T. isnt as accurate as the O.T., but thats what you get w those heathens. In the O.T. different scrolls there was 8 things different or so. If they had one letter wrong they could bury the whole thing.
      There are a lot more than 8.

Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      95.65%
      "The Bible is often attacked by critics, especially regarding books of Old Testament history, because of obvious discrepancies between numbers given in some Bible accounts as compared to parallel passages in other accounts. Several such instances could be considered, but we will focus on four that are representative of the group: (1) the number of arms-bearing men in Judah and Israel (cf. 2 Samuel 24:9 to 1 Chronicles 21:5); (2) the number of Syrian charioteers slain by David (cf. 2 Samuel 10:18 to 1 Chronicles 19:18); (3) the number of stalls in Solomon's stables (cf. 1 Kings 4:26 to 2 Chronicles 9:25); (4) the number of baths in the "molten sea" (cf. 1 Kings 7:23,26 to 2 Chronicles 4:5)."

https://www.gospelway.com/topics/bib...crepancies.php

I don't what to suggest by acknowledging these problems that I doubt that the Bible is God's Word because I don't. I believe fully and completely in God's living word. I believe if we understood everything as God does this mystery would be clear. I accept the Bible as God's Word by faith. But, I also acknowledge that I struggle to understand why these discrepanies are even there even as I acknowledge that they are. It doesn't take away from the truth of God's word or the validity of its teaching for my life.

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      73.53%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      "The Bible is often attacked by critics, especially regarding books of Old Testament history, because of obvious discrepancies between numbers given in some Bible accounts as compared to parallel passages in other accounts. Several such instances could be considered, but we will focus on four that are representative of the group: (1) the number of arms-bearing men in Judah and Israel (cf. 2 Samuel 24:9 to 1 Chronicles 21:5); (2) the number of Syrian charioteers slain by David (cf. 2 Samuel 10:18 to 1 Chronicles 19:18); (3) the number of stalls in Solomon's stables (cf. 1 Kings 4:26 to 2 Chronicles 9:25); (4) the number of baths in the "molten sea" (cf. 1 Kings 7:23,26 to 2 Chronicles 4:5)."

https://www.gospelway.com/topics/bib...crepancies.php

I don't what to suggest by acknowledging these problems that I doubt that the Bible is God's Word because I don't. I believe fully and completely in God's living word. I believe if we understood everything as God does this mystery would be clear. I accept the Bible as God's Word by faith. But, I also acknowledge that I struggle to understand why these discrepanies are even there even as I acknowledge that they are. It doesn't take away from the truth of God's word or the validity of its teaching for my life.
      The book I mentioned is a good Apologist to fight off the critics (or convert them) he was a former atheist.
      The reason I suggested it I guess was so you could use it's revelation to help in argument. We are to help convert if possible with sound testimony. But personal testimony is the best, the word is perfect for us but it usually takes a good kick in the butt (in rebuttals) to help direct these individuals.
      I remember believing my sins were the norm, thank God I have conviction now I just wish to help others consider the Gospel as truth, any good help is well... helpful

Edit. My apologies I resumed to another topic, (saw the title and was like "oops")
      Just consider it a type of ethereal leak my bad.
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 01-12-2018 at 04:14 PM.

MennoSota is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      92.06%
      Most scholars who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible qualify that with the phrase "in its original writing." This gives leeway for errors by scribes over time.

Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.12%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      There are a lot more than 8.
      Oh yes sorry, 9 letters.

The fact is, that after all the trials and tribulations, communal dislocations and persecutions, only the Yemenite Torah scrolls contain any difference from the rest of world Jewry. A total of nine letter-differences are found in their scrolls.

These are all spelling differences. In no case do they change the meaning of the word.

http://www.aish.com/h/sh/tat/48969731.html?mobile=yes

Wow that reminds me of: not one jot from the law will go away til all is finished.

Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      95.65%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      The book I mentioned is a good Apologist to fight off the critics (or convert them) he was a former atheist.
      The reason I suggested it I guess was so you could use it's revelation to help in argument. We are to help convert if possible with sound testimony. But personal testimony is the best, the word is perfect for us but it usually takes a good kick in the butt (in rebuttals) to help direct these individuals.
      I remember believing my sins were the norm, thank God I have conviction now I just wish to help others consider the Gospel as truth, any good help is well... helpful

Edit. My apologies I resumed to another topic, (saw the title and was like "oops")
      Just consider it a type of ethereal leak my bad.
      I don't know that we are to "help convert" as you put it. It is the Holy Spirit's job to convict people of their sin. I think what most people fail to realize is that until God does the job of convicted and bringing that person some insight you can argue clearly until your blue in the face and it won't do any good. For that reason, I think praying for God to do work in people's lives is more important than ever.

Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      95.65%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      Most scholars who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible qualify that with the phrase "in its original writing." This gives leeway for errors by scribes over time.
      which is an assumption since none of the originals exist anymore

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      20.28%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      The point, IMO, is enormously over-rated.

Yes, copy errors arose. However, these generally are easy to identify and correct - and they tend to not effect any doctrine. Just ONE of the very obvious supports of this even for the lay person is that NEVER - in all the many, many, often endless debates over theology - has there EVER been the point that it depends on which "variant reading" (which possible variant is original) one accepts. Yes, we can discuss whether the ending of the Lord's Prayer (.... for Thine is the.....) is original (it's not) or even the whole 16th Chapter of Mark (it probably is) but no theology is impacted. By the time of the Reformation, virtually all of these hundreds of variant readings had been resolved (which is why Luther's and the KJV are amazingly modern in terms of the Hebrew/Greek texts used). Haters of Christianity have TRIED to make some point out of not having the original signed documents, but it's a meaningless point. It comes up when we deal with how many fish Peter hauled in (that sort of thing) - with amazingly little debate (scholars are 99% sure they've determined the original) but it's a worthless point with Calvin trying to prove OSAS or the RCC trying to prove Transubstantiation or Papal Infallibility.

Back to the topic.

- Josiah

MennoSota is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      92.06%
      Josiah...OSAS is not a Calvinist claim...but keep on arguing via a denominational POV. Apparently that's how the Apostles made their arguments in scripture. /s