The Priest is trying to steal your pearls!

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Just curious if anyone has experienced this.

You take some time, considerable time, studying a biblical subject. For the point of this thread and discussion, the actual subject is irrelevant - just that you have spent time in study/prayer trying to understand something in the bible. You have looked at the passage or passages in question. You have considered the context of the surrounding passages and story if there is one.

Finally, after years, months or even days, what was obscure becomes crystal clear to you. But you want to make sure this understanding is without falsehood, so you test. You've examined the surrounding context of the passage(s) in question. You look to see if the same understanding is applied elsewhere in the bible, also testing those other passages against context.

You are sure now of the understanding of something you were once unsure of. This is like a pearl of wisdom to you.

Now here is the problem. You attend church or listen to sermons online. On the subject in question, your pastor or favorite spiritual guru has chosen the passage you were once unclear about.
The problem comes in that this practitioner of priest craft doesn't care about the meaning of the passage, in it's context, compared to other Scriptures to test. No, it's simply the basis for his or her "feel good sermon". The text is cherry picked off the tree, cut up in to pieces, mixed with other things and then presented to you as a finished product - whatever that may be.

Now if this is just some person online spreading his "understanding" in such a way, no big deal, as you can just quietly reject it, and move on. In a church setting, however, often the preacher is asking for "Amens" and some other form of acknowledgement that ties the amalgamation of Scriptures he just butchered and mis-combined into some semblance of "spiritual understanding"

- an understanding you reject, because you have done your study while he just wanted some passages to underscore his message for that day.

Does this bother you? Do you speak up? Remain silent? Forget about it?

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
I would have to say that this is one of two things and you are being called to return to your study in both of them.

The first is the enemy sending you a message to confuse you and knock your understanding. But you said that this is a priest you value and trust and so it is likely you would not want to believe the enemy is able to use him. So you need to review your study and then speak to him and see if you can convince him of your understanding.

The second is that God is sending you a clear message that your new understanding is in fact flawed and therefore you need to review your understanding and perhaps speak with this godly priest, share your understanding and see why you are flawed.

Neither of these options are easy, but the truth is when you test scripture on your own it is possible to be misled and believe what you want to see, and it is necessary to test your revelations with God and he often uses other trusted people to do this.

Pete from Peterborough UK

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

You take some time, considerable time, studying a biblical subject. For the point of this thread and discussion, the actual subject is irrelevant - just that you have spent time in study/prayer trying to understand something in the bible. You have looked at the passage or passages in question. You have considered the context of the surrounding passages and story if there is one.

Finally, after years, months or even days, what was obscure becomes crystal clear to you. But you want to make sure this understanding is without falsehood, so you test. You've examined the surrounding context of the passage(s) in question. You look to see if the same understanding is applied elsewhere in the bible, also testing those other passages against context.

You are sure now of the understanding of something you were once unsure of. This is like a pearl of wisdom to you.

Now here is the problem. You attend church or listen to sermons online. On the subject in question, your pastor or favorite spiritual guru has chosen the passage you were once unclear about.
The problem comes in that this practitioner of priest craft doesn't care about the meaning of the passage, in it's context, compared to other Scriptures to test. No, it's simply the basis for his or her "feel good sermon". The text is cherry picked off the tree, cut up in to pieces, mixed with other things and then presented to you as a finished product - whatever that may be.

Now if this is just some person online spreading his "understanding" in such a way, no big deal, as you can just quietly reject it, and move on. In a church setting, however, often the preacher is asking for "Amens" and some other form of acknowledgement that ties the amalgamation of Scriptures he just butchered and mis-combined into some semblance of "spiritual understanding"

- an understanding you reject, because you have done your study while he just wanted some passages to underscore his message for that day.

I pray that God shows him and speak up, depending on the person. I have to be absolutely sure and it has to be a really important thing.

Last edited:

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I would have to say that this is one of two things and you are being called to return to your study in both of them.

The first is the enemy sending you a message to confuse you and knock your understanding. But you said that this is a priest you value and trust and so it is likely you would not want to believe the enemy is able to use him. So you need to review your study and then speak to him and see if you can convince him of your understanding.

The second is that God is sending you a clear message that your new understanding is in fact flawed and therefore you need to review your understanding and perhaps speak with this godly priest, share your understanding and see why you are flawed.

Neither of these options are easy, but the truth is when you test scripture on your own it is possible to be misled and believe what you want to see, and it is necessary to test your revelations with God and he often uses other trusted people to do this.

Hi Pete. I think your response is indicative of something you yourself would do, although in the form of advice to me, but nevertheless answers my question - which is directed to anyone who has found themselves in this scenario.

I do not have a pastor or priest. Nor is there any single man or woman I trust with certain questions regarding various biblical passages. Perhaps my sarcasm was not evident enough. I am a former church attendee and know from experience that interpretation varies from pastor to pastor, and to choose one over the other on blind trust that he or she is "Godly" or "spirit led" is just as bad or worse than interpreting something *because I want it to be true* when it doesn't fit.

Thanks for replying.

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
Stravinsk, you are welcome and yes this is how I would approach your situation. However just as you have suggested that I do not understand your situation it seems you do not understand mine, I too have given up attending church for a number of reasons, not least because I believe they tend to be self serving rather than serving the community in which they reside, but as you clearly attended this church and heard this priest speak then it seems to me that the message, whether welcome or not, was aimed at you. Your job is to to understand why and to revisit the study and have it verified as to whether your interpretation is in line with God's. I would advise you to not miss this opportunity, because if it is God trying to change your mind and you ignore it, He will ratchet up the heat, so to speak, and the next indicator may be less gentle.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I avoid churches that feature the pastor calling for "Amens" from the congregation. So the problem, if cast that way, doesn't occur.

However, if we concentrate on the idea of the preacher giving a "soft" sermon on a topic that I've puzzled over and researched extensively, I let it pass. After all, he's talking to everyone who's hearing his voice, not to one person who has made almost a career of studying that particular passage.

And I will always remember one pastor (a new hire) who preached on something that I thought I understood very well. He gave what I thought was a 'dead wrong' interpretation. But it caused me to go back to the books and--guess what?--he was right.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Lol that reminds me of a preacher who told us the most terrific stuff and everyone was like Woooow Ameeen. They had found the Ark of the covt w the blood of Jesus and the chariot wheels. Then I came home, looked it up, lol the guy who said that was not 100 percent. Oh well. We had a nice wooooow ameeeeen moment.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

I don't always expect to agree with whoever is preaching or teaching. If it is a minor point I would just ignore it and move on. If it is a big point such of doctrine then I would speak up either by email or in person or phone and confront the person. Most people I doubt would talk to their pastor about points of disagreement. I just doubt that most people feel comfortable enough with their convictions to voice their concerns. But, I am pretty opinionated and have no trouble telling someone what I think

Top Bottom