• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Results 41 to 50 of 59

    News Center - Thread: Oprah 2020

    1. #41
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is online now Child of God
      Moderator
      50
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      1,632
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      9,113
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,315
      Level
      28
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      94.21%
      Rep Power
      270
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      Oprah doesn't stand a chance. We all know total outsiders have no chance of getting elected.

      Oh, wait....
      doesn't the fact that they now do have a chance speak about how unhappy the American people are with the current set of leaders in Congress?

    2. #42
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      1,418
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,000
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,971
      Level
      29
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      78.7%
      Rep Power
      306
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      doesn't the fact that they now do have a chance speak about how unhappy the American people are with the current set of leaders in Congress?
      I can't imagine how it might be that Oprah alone makes that possible.

    3. #43
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      69
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      11,289
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      500,324
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (996,518 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      40,362
      Level
      52
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      64.98%
      Rep Power
      411
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      I can't imagine how it might be that Oprah alone makes that possible.
      Oprah doesnt but our current representation in congress does and has for quite some time now
      Isaiah 40:31

    4. #44
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      1,418
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,000
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,971
      Level
      29
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      78.7%
      Rep Power
      306
      I agree to the "Oprah doesn't" part of that anaysis.

    5. #45
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is online now Child of God
      Moderator
      50
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      1,632
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      9,113
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,315
      Level
      28
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      94.21%
      Rep Power
      270
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      I can't imagine how it might be that Oprah alone makes that possible.
      No, of course not. I didn't say that she did. People have been unhappy with Congress for years, so they seem to be looking for leadership in other places. People like successful business leaders or others

    6. #46
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      1,418
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,000
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,971
      Level
      29
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      78.7%
      Rep Power
      306
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      No, of course not. I didn't say that she did. People have been unhappy with Congress for years, so they seem to be looking for leadership in other places. People like successful business leaders or others
      OK, but the title of the thread is "Oprah 2020. "

    7. #47
      tango's Avatar
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...
       
      Mood:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Sometimes here, mostly there
      Posts
      5,292
      CH Cash
      1,608
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,118,195 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      22,438
      Level
      41
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.08%
      Rep Power
      538
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      doesn't the fact that they now do have a chance speak about how unhappy the American people are with the current set of leaders in Congress?
      Very true, although Hillary Clinton seemed to be disliked across party lines the fact that the people voted for a total outsider does seem like little more than taking the chance to finally kick the establishment in the teeth. It's just remarkable that a billionaire ended up representing "anti-establishment" values.

      I can't help thinking a candidate who promised to introduce term limits across Congress and the Senate would get a surge of support. Although technically there are term limits (usually called "elections") it would be a very bold stance to elect a candidate from The Other Side just because the guy from your side was standing for re-election yet again and you thought it was time he wasn't there any more.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

      "If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

      The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

    8. #48
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      1,418
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,000
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,971
      Level
      29
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      78.7%
      Rep Power
      306
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      I can't help thinking a candidate who promised to introduce term limits across Congress and the Senate would get a surge of support. Although technically there are term limits (usually called "elections") it would be a very bold stance to elect a candidate from The Other Side just because the guy from your side was standing for re-election yet again and you thought it was time he wasn't there any more.
      This was a hot topic nationally and in the various states a few years back, but it fizzled, partly because in some states the existing legislators killed it, and partly because in others where some measure of term limits did get passed, it turned out that the new legislators were as bad as the former ones.

      And there was always that one way of sidestepping the limitation. I'm referring to a State Representative reaching his limit so he runs for the State Senate or Governor, and then something else like that afterwards. In other words, there turned out to be little chance of retiring the guy, term limits or no term limits!

    9. #49
      tango's Avatar
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...
       
      Mood:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Sometimes here, mostly there
      Posts
      5,292
      CH Cash
      1,608
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,118,195 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      22,438
      Level
      41
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.08%
      Rep Power
      538
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      This was a hot topic nationally and in the various states a few years back, but it fizzled, partly because in some states the existing legislators killed it, and partly because in others where some measure of term limits did get passed, it turned out that the new legislators were as bad as the former ones.

      And there was always that one way of sidestepping the limitation. I'm referring to a State Representative reaching his limit so he runs for the State Senate or Governor, and then something else like that afterwards. In other words, there turned out to be little chance of retiring the guy, term limits or no term limits!
      There would need to be a clear concept of having served a certain time and then having to step out completely for a substantial period, maybe two complete electoral cycles.

      Maybe something to allow two sessions at State Congress level (either Congress or Senate, if a state has both), then an opportunity to run for Governor (for two terms maximum), then no less than two terms' worth out of office completely. So someone could be in office for four electoral terms maximum, then has to step away for at least two terms. If people start crying out for them to return, in two electoral terms they can come back. But get rid of the concept of the career politician who hands down edicts on businesses when they never had to make payroll, who determines that someone can live on $250/week when it's been years since they had to live on less than $250/day and so on.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

      "If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

      The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

    10. #50
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      1,418
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,000
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,971
      Level
      29
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      78.7%
      Rep Power
      306
      Well, you are right that it probably would have to be put on the ballot as a proposal that spelled out all the particulars. Any loopholes in the wording and the existing legislature will find a way to weaken the effect.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •