Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Oprah doesn't stand a chance. We all know total outsiders have no chance of getting elected.

Oh, wait....

doesn't the fact that they now do have a chance speak about how unhappy the American people are with the current set of leaders in Congress?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
doesn't the fact that they now do have a chance speak about how unhappy the American people are with the current set of leaders in Congress?
I can't imagine how it might be that Oprah alone makes that possible.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Oprah doesnt but our current representation in congress does and has for quite some time now

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I agree to the "Oprah doesn't" part of that anaysis.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

No, of course not. I didn't say that she did. People have been unhappy with Congress for years, so they seem to be looking for leadership in other places. People like successful business leaders or others

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, of course not. I didn't say that she did. People have been unhappy with Congress for years, so they seem to be looking for leadership in other places. People like successful business leaders or others
OK, but the title of the thread is "Oprah 2020. "

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Very true, although Hillary Clinton seemed to be disliked across party lines the fact that the people voted for a total outsider does seem like little more than taking the chance to finally kick the establishment in the teeth. It's just remarkable that a billionaire ended up representing "anti-establishment" values.

I can't help thinking a candidate who promised to introduce term limits across Congress and the Senate would get a surge of support. Although technically there are term limits (usually called "elections") it would be a very bold stance to elect a candidate from The Other Side just because the guy from your side was standing for re-election yet again and you thought it was time he wasn't there any more.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can't help thinking a candidate who promised to introduce term limits across Congress and the Senate would get a surge of support. Although technically there are term limits (usually called "elections") it would be a very bold stance to elect a candidate from The Other Side just because the guy from your side was standing for re-election yet again and you thought it was time he wasn't there any more.
This was a hot topic nationally and in the various states a few years back, but it fizzled, partly because in some states the existing legislators killed it, and partly because in others where some measure of term limits did get passed, it turned out that the new legislators were as bad as the former ones.

And there was always that one way of sidestepping the limitation. I'm referring to a State Representative reaching his limit so he runs for the State Senate or Governor, and then something else like that afterwards. In other words, there turned out to be little chance of retiring the guy, term limits or no term limits!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This was a hot topic nationally and in the various states a few years back, but it fizzled, partly because in some states the existing legislators killed it, and partly because in others where some measure of term limits did get passed, it turned out that the new legislators were as bad as the former ones.

And there was always that one way of sidestepping the limitation. I'm referring to a State Representative reaching his limit so he runs for the State Senate or Governor, and then something else like that afterwards. In other words, there turned out to be little chance of retiring the guy, term limits or no term limits!

There would need to be a clear concept of having served a certain time and then having to step out completely for a substantial period, maybe two complete electoral cycles.

Maybe something to allow two sessions at State Congress level (either Congress or Senate, if a state has both), then an opportunity to run for Governor (for two terms maximum), then no less than two terms' worth out of office completely. So someone could be in office for four electoral terms maximum, then has to step away for at least two terms. If people start crying out for them to return, in two electoral terms they can come back. But get rid of the concept of the career politician who hands down edicts on businesses when they never had to make payroll, who determines that someone can live on $250/week when it's been years since they had to live on less than $250/day and so on.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, you are right that it probably would have to be put on the ballot as a proposal that spelled out all the particulars. Any loopholes in the wording and the existing legislature will find a way to weaken the effect.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, you are right that it probably would have to be put on the ballot as a proposal that spelled out all the particulars. Any loopholes in the wording and the existing legislature will find a way to weaken the effect.

Yes, and getting career politicians to vote to end their own gravy train would probably be akin to getting turkeys to vote for Thanksgiving :)

JPPT1974

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Very scary IMHO. And really if she does run, people think she would beat Trump in a heartbeat! But hope it never comes to that IMHO!

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Not to worry. There are many examples of people who were thought to be the certain winner of an upcoming election--thought of as such two or three years ahead of the real action, that is---who were all but forgotten by the time that the nominating conventions rolled around.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Very scary IMHO. And really if she does run, people think she would beat Trump in a heartbeat! But hope it never comes to that IMHO!

Yes, just like Hillary was guaranteed to beat Trump until it didn't happen. And just like Hillary was assured to beat the then all-but unknown Senator Obama for the Democrat nomination in 2008.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I can see whoopie goldberg as her vice president. If that ever happened America will end.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can see whoopie goldberg as her vice president. If that ever happened America will end.

Wasn't Whoopie one of those declaring she'd leave the country if Trump was elected President? LOL

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Wasn't Whoopie one of those declaring she'd leave the country if Trump was elected President? LOL
I think so, was Oprah one too? lol
It doesn't matter to me if they stayed or left because it's not like I ever run into them on a daily basis, it was for gaining support and it was also all a bluff.
Besides the face is only an image, the president is right smack in the middle of the operating government, there are many above and many below the spokesman who's opinions are simply just that- at best, the government as a whole (and lobbyist) make the decisions but in all actuality, they are not as powerful as the people (the actual government of the USA) although they do a heck of a job convincing them otherwise.
Religion has much to do with the way people react to government but there is always an unsung connection between government and Christianity, Jesus is our government and it reflects deeply in the 'eye' of America's governing laws, local, national and international.
I do see campaign signs in the midst that say "Oprah? Nope-brah!"

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I'm waiting....and hoping....

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm waiting....and hoping....