CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.5%

going to a new church

On another thread I mentioned that our church didn't have services on New Years weekend because the pastor and leadership wanted to give the volunteers a chance to spend time with their families. I objected to this and sent a message to the pastor letting him know my feelings. They didn't have services and the pastor was unapologetic about this saying they have been doing it for ten years now.

So, I had convinced myself to keep going anyway. I turned the online services on at 10 am this morning and the first song the praise team does to start the new year is a secular song. After watching for 20 seconds I decided I probably was right to look somewhere else to go to church. Secular music in a worship service? How is that Christ centered?

So, I am not sure where to go. I went to a large Baptist church this morning. What type of church do you think I should try? Some of my doctrinal beliefs
      I don't believe in infant baptism.
      I believe the Lord's Supper is done in remembrance of Christ and his death on the cross
      I believe that while being born again is an event it is also a process. We are called to walk in Christlikeness and that means surrendering our will to HIs daily
      I would like to do communion at least monthly if not weekly
      I like a service with a strong biblical sermon

I grew up Methodist, but also spent the last 33 years as Baptist

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (6,074,338 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      43.86%
      My first question would be whether the beliefs you have listed are all important enough to be showstoppers if a church were to do them. Would you refuse to attend a church if they baptised infants, for example?

My previous church did communion once a month. My current church does communion twice a year. I'd like to do communion more regularly but my current church makes much more of an event out of communion, such that it wouldn't really work to do it every week. If communion at least monthly were of particular importance to me I wouldn't be attending my current church, which would mean I'd miss out on its good points.

Hard to know what to suggest without knowing what's available in your area and how they work. I would suggest staying well away from anything even remotely associated with the New Apostolic Reformation because the chances are sooner or later you'll come across some really bizarre theology.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.5%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      My first question would be whether the beliefs you have listed are all important enough to be showstoppers if a church were to do them. Would you refuse to attend a church if they baptised infants, for example?

My previous church did communion once a month. My current church does communion twice a year. I'd like to do communion more regularly but my current church makes much more of an event out of communion, such that it wouldn't really work to do it every week. If communion at least monthly were of particular importance to me I wouldn't be attending my current church, which would mean I'd miss out on its good points.

Hard to know what to suggest without knowing what's available in your area and how they work. I would suggest staying well away from anything even remotely associated with the New Apostolic Reformation because the chances are sooner or later you'll come across some really bizarre theology.
      Infant baptism would be a no go for me. I don't believe in it and wouldn't support it. How often communion occurs is a preference and not something that would make the decision for me. The church I visited today is very large and I feel a little lost in it, but doctrinally it is solid. It is Southern Baptist. As far as in my area, there is several large communities within easy driving distance of me so there are literally hundreds of churches in this area of all sorts of varieties

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      98.48%
      Hi, jsimms.

I would say that, judging by your list, the "right" church for you would be a Church of Christ congregation or, perhaps, a congregation of their more ecumenical and liberal cousins, the Disciples of Christ. I really doubt that any other denomination (or even the typical non-denominational congregation) would come closer.

Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.5%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      Hi, jsimms.

I would say that, judging by your list, the "right" church for you would be a Church of Christ congregation or, perhaps, a congregation of their more ecumenical and liberal cousins, the Disciples of Christ. I really doubt that any other denomination (or even the typical non-denominational congregation) would come closer.
      Okay, I'll look them up and see if there is one close by

Tigger is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Piratey

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      80.72%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      On another thread I mentioned that our church didn't have services on New Years weekend because the pastor and leadership wanted to give the volunteers a chance to spend time with their families. I objected to this and sent a message to the pastor letting him know my feelings. They didn't have services and the pastor was unapologetic about this saying they have been doing it for ten years now.

So, I had convinced myself to keep going anyway. I turned the online services on at 10 am this morning and the first song the praise team does to start the new year is a secular song. After watching for 20 seconds I decided I probably was right to look somewhere else to go to church. Secular music in a worship service? How is that Christ centered?

So, I am not sure where to go. I went to a large Baptist church this morning. What type of church do you think I should try? Some of my doctrinal beliefs
      I don't believe in infant baptism.
      I believe the Lord's Supper is done in remembrance of Christ and his death on the cross
      I believe that while being born again is an event it is also a process. We are called to walk in Christlikeness and that means surrendering our will to HIs daily
      I would like to do communion at least monthly if not weekly
      I like a service with a strong biblical sermon

I grew up Methodist, but also spent the last 33 years as Baptist
      So now I’m curious as to what song they were playing

faramir.pete is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      UK
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      93.8%
      Shakes his head sadly,

JS I think you really need to examine your motives here, you have been upset by your last church when they refuse to change their plans for worship service at New Year, and because the worship group play a secular song. Then you set out your beliefs and ask for help to find a new church.

All churches wherever you go will disappoint you, some will preach wrong, some will play the wrong music, others will support women priests, others will support gay marriage and any number of other issues. So why exactly are you swapping one disappointing church for another? If you follow your obviously intelligent line of thought to it's obvious conclusion- all churches will disappoint and they only solution is to give up attending church and seek God's guidance for how He wants you to be His follower.

Pete from Peterborough UK

Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.5%
      Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
      So now I’m curious as to what song they were playing

Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.5%
      Quote Originally Posted by faramir.pete View Post
      Shakes his head sadly,

JS I think you really need to examine your motives here, you have been upset by your last church when they refuse to change their plans for worship service at New Year, and because the worship group play a secular song. Then you set out your beliefs and ask for help to find a new church.

All churches wherever you go will disappoint you, some will preach wrong, some will play the wrong music, others will support women priests, others will support gay marriage and any number of other issues. So why exactly are you swapping one disappointing church for another? If you follow your obviously intelligent line of thought to it's obvious conclusion- all churches will disappoint and they only solution is to give up attending church and seek God's guidance for how He wants you to be His follower.

I guess you don't know me if you think I haven't done some soul searching about this and considered my motives. I have. The sad thing is that this kind of garbage happens in the church and nobody says anything like it is okay.

faramir.pete is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      UK
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      93.8%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      I guess you don't know me if you think I haven't done some soul searching about this and considered my motives. I have. The sad thing is that this kind of garbage happens in the church and nobody says anything like it is okay.
      You are right, I do not know you, but if you believe moving to another church for the reasons you quote will resolve your issues, then you will be disappointed again and again.

You do not need a different church, you need to listen to God's will for your life. That may mean staying in your existing church and finding a way to forgive them for not doing as you expect, or it may mean moving or it may mean many other things. But be sure that your reason for whatever you do is that you are following His guidance not mine nor any other human, except Jesus!