• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 11 to 20 of 30

    News Center - Thread: Trump defends his sanity

    1. #11
      Imalive's Avatar
      Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,315
      Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      497,906
      CH Challenge
      0
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      10,578
      Level
      30
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.95%
      Rep Power
      268
      Insane that he has to defend his sanity.

    2. #12
      tango's Avatar
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...
       
      Mood:
      Bemused
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Elsewhere
      Posts
      6,472
      CH Cash
      3,663
      CH Challenge
      32
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (6,044,117 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      29,307
      Level
      46
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      43.21%
      Rep Power
      728
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      His lack of experience is a big concern. Things such as how to get laws passed in Congress. His temper tantrums that often come across as childish is a big concern also. Not everything needs to be said on Twitter.
      I often wonder what previous presidents would have said on Twitter, had they used it as frequently as Trump. It's easy to look at the things he tweets and think he's unhinged when we have no idea what a stream of tweets from Obama, Bush, Clinton etc would have looked like. The fact he does tweet so frequently appears to be particularly unhelpful in a sense but it may be little more than an outlet where previous presidents thought equally daft things but had the sense (or suffered the lack of technology, depending) to not dump an unfiltered stream of consciousness on the global public.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

      "If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

      The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

    3. Likes jsimms435 liked this post
    4. #13
      tango's Avatar
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...
       
      Mood:
      Bemused
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Elsewhere
      Posts
      6,472
      CH Cash
      3,663
      CH Challenge
      32
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (6,044,117 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      29,307
      Level
      46
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      43.21%
      Rep Power
      728
      Quote Originally Posted by JRT View Post
      Some on the right regard those on the left as a bunch of simpering idiots. On the other hand, some on the left regard those of the right as a collection of uneducated bumpkins. Both sides are partly correct in that there are a few on each side that fit the description. But mostly they are wrong because the vast majority on both sides are actually intelligent, patriotic citizens who just happen to have different but perfectly valid political philosophies. Politics is in danger, real danger, of becoming the new racism.
      The increasing polarisation is definitely cause for concern but I often wonder whether either side is inherently better or worse than the other as far as that is concerned.

      To some on the left, if you see any merit at all in Donald Trump as a president then you're obviously lacking in intelligence and there's a good chance you're looking at your sister and thinking she's kinda cute. And there probably are a few folks out there just like that who do vote Republican, and a few of them would vote for a turnip if it had the red rosette on it. Likewise to some on the right if you see any merit at all in Hillary Clinton as a presidential candidate then you're probably just waiting for good old fashioned communism to take over the country, and already have your own hammer and sickle flag to raise in celebration. And there probably are a few folks out there just like that who do vote Democrat, and a few of them would vote for a turnip if it had a blue rosette on it.

      One major problem is simply the use of the letters R and D after just about everything in politics. I forget which pieces of legislation were used, but I remember reading a study a while back about people who were asked whether they agreed with the provisions of pieces of legislation - some with a description of what the law was aiming to do and others with the name of the act or the affiliation of the politicians pushing it. I remember being surprised at just how much difference there was in support for an act when people didn't know which side was pushing it, but apparently people were far more likely to support an act if their side supported it and far more likely to reject an act if the other side supported it, than if they were just told the general basis for the law and what it was trying to achieve. It's hard to find common ground in a two-party system, particularly when that system becomes tribal, and it's pretty much assumed that anything the other side does is bad while anything our side does is good.

      The most obvious example of this seems to be the whole issue of the so-called Affordable Care Act. The loudest voices on the right called for repeal and replacement even though there seems to be precious little idea of just what would replace it, or how to provide meaningful health care to those that such repeal and replace would leave behind. The loudest voices on the left insist it should not only stay exactly as is but potentially be enhanced, even though it leaves swathes of people without affordable health care and produces truly punitive effective marginal tax rates on people (particularly unhealthy people) at the lower end of the income scale.

      I'd just love to see what might happen if the two sides were to actually work together for the good of the country rather than their own political advantage. I'd also really like to see what might happen if Congress were required to obey every law that they imposed on everyone else. Imagine how good the provisions of the ACA might be if Congress had to buy their own healthcare plans on an exchange.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

      "If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

      The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

    5. #14
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is online now Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      2,750
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      13,990
      CH Challenge
      298
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      18,957
      Level
      38
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      94.3%
      Rep Power
      570
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      I often wonder what previous presidents would have said on Twitter, had they used it as frequently as Trump. It's easy to look at the things he tweets and think he's unhinged when we have no idea what a stream of tweets from Obama, Bush, Clinton etc would have looked like. The fact he does tweet so frequently appears to be particularly unhelpful in a sense but it may be little more than an outlet where previous presidents thought equally daft things but had the sense (or suffered the lack of technology, depending) to not dump an unfiltered stream of consciousness on the global public.
      The president has said that he needs such a direct line to the American people since the media are, for the most part, determined to ignore anything he does that's positive, invent negative things, and exaggerate anything that can be made to seem indicative of a presidency that is confused.

      Given that this is obviously a correct view of the media's actions, I don't think we can fault him for tweeting.

    6. #15
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,906
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      5,299
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,709
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.11%
      Rep Power
      438
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      The president has said that he needs such a direct line to the American people since the media are, for the most part, determined to ignore anything he does that's positive, invent negative things, and exaggerate anything that can be made to seem indicative of a presidency that is confused.

      Given that this is obviously a correct view of the media's actions, I don't think we can fault him for tweeting.
      And if all he did was use it to communicate I could get behind that. But, he uses it to attack people in a very childish way. As President, you have to know that people are going to be critical of what you do. You have to be prepared for that as part of the job. But, this President takes it personally whenever anyone disagrees with him.

    7. #16
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is online now Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      2,750
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      13,990
      CH Challenge
      298
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      18,957
      Level
      38
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      94.3%
      Rep Power
      570
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      And if all he did was use it to communicate I could get behind that. But, he uses it to attack people in a very childish way. As President, you have to know that people are going to be critical of what you do. You have to be prepared for that as part of the job. But, this President takes it personally whenever anyone disagrees with him.
      Well, I was responding mainly to what Tango had said, which was basically about whether or not Trump tweeting is a good idea--and whether prior presidents would have done it differently if Twitter were available to them.

      If you or anyone takes exception to what he says in some of them, I am not disputing that.

      Your other point--is he behaving in an unpresidential way--I can appreciate. However, there is another side to that. Some other political leaders have chosen to keep their dignity and their tongues in the face of relentless ridicule and defamation that came from their partisan adversaries and, what happened to them? They wound up being thought by the low-information voter to be exactly what the critics said of them. And they looked weak for taking it. A decent case can be made that Trump has successfully countered many of the lies directed at and about him by fighting back.
      Last edited by Albion; 01-07-2018 at 03:28 PM.

    8. #17
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      69
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      12,972
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      2,752
      CH Challenge
      89
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,065,543 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      57,052
      Level
      60
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      7.54%
      Rep Power
      593
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      Well, I was responding mainly to what Tango had said, which was basically about whether or not Trump tweeting is a good idea--and whether prior presidents would have done it differently if Twitter were available to them.

      If you or anyone takes exception to what he says in some of them, I am not disputing that.

      Your other point--is he behaving in an unpresidential way--I can appreciate. However, there is another side to that. Some other political leaders have chosen to keep their dignity and their tongues in the face of relentless ridicule and defamation that came from their partisan adversaries and, what happened to them? They wound up being thought by the low-information voter to be exactly what the critics said of them. And they looked weak for taking it. A decent case can be made that Trump has successfully countered many of the lies directed at and about him by fighting back.
      There are ways to fight back and then there is childishness
      Isaiah 40:31

    9. #18
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is online now Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      2,750
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      13,990
      CH Challenge
      298
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      18,957
      Level
      38
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      94.3%
      Rep Power
      570
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      There are ways to fight back and then there is childishness
      As I said, the content of his tweets is open to question. I was mainly dealing with the fact that he DOES rely to a large degree upon them, which is something we haven't seen in earlier presidents.

      But since you made your point above, I do believe that it should be said that many, probably most, of the president's tweets are not "childish." The ones that are questionable, such as the 'big button' one, are rehashed and rehashed while five others posted by him the same morning are all but ignored--by the media, that is, which is why people like you and I talk about the one and not the many.

    10. #19
      Ruth's Avatar
      Ruth is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Midwest
      Posts
      4,318
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      10,684
      CH Challenge
      8
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (18,195 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      17,418
      Level
      37
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      60.78%
      Rep Power
      386
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      If je isnt a little off then he is a very stupid person with some of the things he has said and done. Personally I do think he is unhinged and dangerous for this country
      Time will tell just how dangerous he is. I, too, think he is not right in the head.
      Judge tenderly, if you must. There is usually a side you have not heard, a story you know nothing about, and a battle waged that you are not having to fight.Hidden Content

    11. #20
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is online now Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      2,750
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      13,990
      CH Challenge
      298
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      18,957
      Level
      38
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      94.3%
      Rep Power
      570
      Because he talks like half the people we know rather than in the stilted manner that Obama, for example, did?

    12. Likes Josiah liked this post

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •