... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The president has said that he needs such a direct line to the American people since the media are, for the most part, determined to ignore anything he does that's positive, invent negative things, and exaggerate anything that can be made to seem indicative of a presidency that is confused.

Given that this is obviously a correct view of the media's actions, I don't think we can fault him for tweeting.

I'm not so concerned about him trying to communicate directly as whether Twitter is really a good way to be doing it. I'm sure he could host a blog and post thoughts in more useful ways than condensing everything into tweets.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As I said, the content of his tweets is open to question. I was mainly dealing with the fact that he DOES rely to a large degree upon them, which is something we haven't seen in earlier presidents.

But since you made your point above, I do believe that it should be said that many, probably most, of the president's tweets are not "childish." The ones that are questionable, such as the 'big button' one, are rehashed and rehashed while five others posted by him the same morning are all but ignored--by the media, that is, which is why people like you and I talk about the one and not the many.

... which is perhaps another reason why it would be more useful for him to write a blog containing more reasoned statements than quick one-liners.

If he sends 29 sensible tweets and one silly one, and the media screen-captures the silly one and uses it as "proof" that he is deranged, there's little to fight back with because it's clearly a screen capture of something he sent. If they want to quote a blog post out of context they either have to avoid posting a link, or let people see that the context has been tortured.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
... which is perhaps another reason why it would be more useful for him to write a blog containing more reasoned statements than quick one-liners.
Well, you know that more people are addicted to Twitter than to any blogsite, and the president's intention obviously is to have as wide an exposure for his messages as possible.

If he sends 29 sensible tweets and one silly one, and the media screen-captures the silly one and uses it as "proof" that he is deranged, there's little to fight back with because it's clearly a screen capture of something he sent.
What a charming way of looking at it. The truth is that the media can take anything he writes--or nothing at all--and be pushing the Democrat Party's latest agenda item in the campaign to find some way to leverage him out of office. The "He's nuts" crusade is completely an artificial issue and doesn't really depend on anything in his tweets, if truth be told.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A point to remember....

I didn't vote for Trump (I didn't vote for anyone at the top of the ticket) but I think a LOT of people voted for him because he seemed "real" and not the phony political actors that have taken over American politics (and so much else); right or wrong, he speaks genuinely and not in the two-faced, phony, tricky, ploy ways that to many seems so much a part of politics. Ironic that this billionaire celebrity would be the one voters could find that seemed real.... It's part of what is known as "popularism" in American politics - it elected the likes of Andrew Jackson and Teddy Roosevelt, it propelled many others (including Ross Perot).

Yes, the liberals (and that includes the American Press which is its puppet) not only HATED Trump but also believed it was IMPOSSIBLE he'd actually get elected; I think ALL liberals (including Hillary) simply believed until late Election night that it was IMPOSSIBLE that a person like Trump could win. But.... Now, they are OBSESSED with destroying him and undoing the 2016 election (not even happy to wait for 2020). They want him removed or force him to resign in humiliation and in a way that hopefully will mortally wound the Republican Party. ONE of their polys is to rebuke him for being a popularist, for saying what he's thinking. I think they don't get it: They are just promoting one of the main reasons he was elected! They constant rebuke that he doesn't look, smell or talk like the PC liberal actors and con artists that politicians tend to be (in the opinion of MANY Americans) is just helping Trump. Trump INSISTS he is NOT like those.... and millions of Americans love him for it. I think it's more thing that shows how "out of synch" liberals are with the American people.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
If I were him I'd wear that T-shirt from Sheldon Cooper.

b9103c3672a9636ad028c0781b370411--big-bang-theory-funny-memes.jpg

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A point to remember....

I didn't vote for Trump (I didn't vote for anyone at the top of the ticket) but I think a LOT of people voted for him because he seemed "real" and not the phony political actors that have taken over American politics (and so much else); right or wrong, he speaks genuinely and not in the two-faced, phony, tricky, ploy ways that to many seems so much a part of politics. Ironic that this billionaire celebrity would be the one voters could find that seemed real.... It's part of what is known as "popularism" in American politics - it elected the likes of Andrew Jackson and Teddy Roosevelt, it propelled many others (including Ross Perot).

One thing I find surprising is the way so many on the left express surprise that people at the bottom end of the economic spectrum might vote for Trump - they obviously think that Obama was very good for them and Hillary would continue to be good for them. In fact the so-called Affordable Care Act (better named the Unaffordable Votes Act) represents a hammer blow to the aspirations of the people at the bottom of the economic scale, particularly if they tend to need a lot of health care. Fiddling with figures on the official web site, a couple making $24,000 and expecting medical bills of $2-3000 each over the course of the year, who subsequently increased their income to $27,500, would face an effective marginal tax rate on that increase of around 80%. Most of that is in the reduction in financial help with deductibles and copays, some is in the form of reduced tax credits, and then of course there is the combination of federal and state income taxes.

A lot of the time when things get really bad the people will elect anyone who promises to change it, even if change is unlikely to be achievable.

Yes, the liberals (and that includes the American Press which is its puppet) not only HATED Trump but also believed it was IMPOSSIBLE he'd actually get elected; I think ALL liberals (including Hillary) simply believed until late Election night that it was IMPOSSIBLE that a person like Trump could win. But.... Now, they are OBSESSED with destroying him and undoing the 2016 election (not even happy to wait for 2020). They want him removed or force him to resign in humiliation and in a way that hopefully will mortally wound the Republican Party. ONE of their polys is to rebuke him for being a popularist, for saying what he's thinking. I think they don't get it: They are just promoting one of the main reasons he was elected! They constant rebuke that he doesn't look, smell or talk like the PC liberal actors and con artists that politicians tend to be (in the opinion of MANY Americans) is just helping Trump. Trump INSISTS he is NOT like those.... and millions of Americans love him for it. I think it's more thing that shows how "out of synch" liberals are with the American people.

Discussion about the election in the run-up to the actual election seemed to be more about whether Hillary would win by a good margin or a huge margin, only to then shift to whether she would win by a nose or a good margin, to the shock at the realisation that she'd managed to lose to a complete outsider. Even so, it shouldn't have been a huge surprise because eight years previously she lost the nomination to an all-but unheard of Senator Obama.

It is sad when so much of what is said seems to be doing little more than trying to undermine someone. Someone mentioned further up in the thread about how Trump lacks experience of the process of getting things through Congress. To an extent it seems reasonable that legislation should be a matter of thrashing through issues and potentially reaching compromises but the concept of incorporating things into a piece of legislation to effectively throw a few bones to one of your own guys seems like part of the whole "drain the swamp" issue that Trump promised to address.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not so concerned about him trying to communicate directly as whether Twitter is really a good way to be doing it. I'm sure he could host a blog and post thoughts in more useful ways than condensing everything into tweets.

I doubt most people would read a long blog of policy issues. People like things short and sweet and to the point which Twitter is made to do. Even on this forum if you post a long post most people won't read it all.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I doubt most people would read a long blog of policy issues. People like things short and sweet and to the point which Twitter is made to do. Even on this forum if you post a long post most people won't read it all.

It doesn't need to be a long post - there's a big expanse between reading through endless pages of legalese, and condensing something into bite-size chunks. If nothing else a little context usually goes a long way.

Top Bottom