• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Christian Theology - Thread: Why Does Evil Exist?

meluckycharms is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      83.82%

Why Does Evil Exist?

The problem of evil is not just simply that evil exists. Rather, it is the compatibility between both God and evil that drives the conundrum. Many theologians have variations to the problem of evil. However, simply stated, "If God is able (omnipotent), He could stop evil. If God is willing (onmibenevolent), He will desire to stop evil. Furthermore, if God is all knowing (omniscient), He would have been aware that evil would exist and could have prevented it. Thus, if God is both willing and able to stop and prevent evil, why does evil exist?

I am bringing up this issue to encourage conversation. I have my own conclusion. However, I would like to hear other points of view. Particularly that of the Reformed "Calvinist" variety.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      79.78%
      Quote Originally Posted by meluckycharms View Post
      The problem of evil is not just simply that evil exists. Rather, it is the compatibility between both God and evil that drives the conundrum. Many theologians have variations to the problem of evil. However, simply stated, "If God is able (omnipotent), He could stop evil. If God is willing (onmibenevolent), He will desire to stop evil. Furthermore, if God is all knowing (omniscient), He would have been aware that evil would exist and could have prevented it. Thus, if God is both willing and able to stop and prevent evil, why does evil exist?

I am bringing up this issue to encourage conversation. I have my own conclusion. However, I would like to hear other points of view. Particularly that of the Reformed "Calvinist" variety.

My opinion:
      Evil exists by God's sovereign ordination as a means of expressing his goodness and grace.
      Evil is the absence of good. God is good. Humans were good, only in that they remained in God. When the absence of good was allowed, evil was established.
      God could have crushed Satan and ended rebellion, but God chose not to do so. Why? Why allow evil to exist and indeed thrive? God does not reveal His will on this, except to reveal his redemptive work in the person of God the Son. From the beginning of Genesis God tells us he has a Messiah who will crush the serpents head. God's grace is revealed in the presence of corruption/evil. Grace is an amazing goodness given as a gift to whom God wills. It brings back good to that which was corrupt.
      But, why? Why did God choose all this? Why such corruption within His good creation? The answer: Because God...

Personally, I find this exercise boring and a futile attempt by finite, corrupt, humans to try pin blame on the Almighty and Sovereign God. I suspect the OP has a hard time accepting that s/he is below God and is subject under God's Sovereign authority. The OP is looking for an excuse.

Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      83.82%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post

Personally, I find this exercise boring and a futile attempt by finite, corrupt, humans to try pin blame on the Almighty and Sovereign God. I suspect the OP has a hard time accepting that s/he is below God and is subject under God's Sovereign authority. The OP is looking for an excuse.
      I am in agreement with most of what you posted. However, I am not quite sure why you felt it necessary to include this. The problem of evil is a real issue that many people struggle with and I don't think they are in any way trying to "pin blame on the Almighty." When a father is watching their young child slowing dying of some terminal illness, why shouldn't they blame God? This issue is the single greatest problem that has led to apostasy.

4. Likes Imalive liked this post
      Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.75%

Because free will, ego that always has to obey God/ good or else you get evil. It's like you have to obey your conscience or it goes wrong. Satan had free will as an angel. Because we're not babies or animals.

God wanted to make friends and we're created to overcome evil and become perfect and be like Him. God uses satan and suffering to perfect us.
      God could have locked satan up before creation I think. But then man would have sinned sooner or later anyway.

MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      79.78%
      I am in agreement with most of what you posted. However, I am not quite sure why you felt it necessary to include this. The problem of evil is a real issue that many people struggle with and I don't think they are in any way trying to "pin blame on the Almighty." When a father is watching their young child slowing dying of some terminal illness, why shouldn't they blame God? This issue is the single greatest problem that has led to apostasy.

The problem of sinful rebellion is a real issue. It is why God brings reconciliation through God the Son.
      Perhaps you are unaware that my brother and his wife watched all three of their children die of terminal illness. I was by their side. We don't blame a Sovereign God who gifted three persons, even though it be for a short while, and ordained that their lives end earlier than others. The joy of those few years is amazing and the sorrow of such grief is cleansing by removing the foolishness of this world. Like Job, we recognize that God brings the good and the bad for glorious purposes beyond our comprehension. We are left with the gift of faith.
      It seems that you are advocating like Job's wife. That's a shame and an evidence of poor theology.

Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.75%

Yes. I backslid but I never thought God was doing this to me. Thats why I came back. I thought He simply couldn't do anything about it. Turned out later I was sinning but I didnt know and He just didnt answer me cause my sins made the heaven from copper. But then I was back w. Him anyway and I understood that.
      I talked to people who left Him who still believe calvinism btw although they don't believe He exists. They got mad cause they were taught He was able to do everything and did nothing.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      77.94%
      I can't (or won't) theorize. It just does. IMO, the important question is not "how come?' but "what now?"

Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      83.82%
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      I can't (or won't) theorize. It just does. IMO, the important question is not "how come?' but "what now?"
      That is a respectable position to have. I believe that unserstanding the "how come?" will help you deal with the "what now?"

Snerfle is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Geeky

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      82.97%
      Who told you .....? Have you ppl been eating of 'that tree' again?!
      ~Deliberate ignorance
      is anti-christian~

Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      83.82%
      Quote Originally Posted by Imalive View Post
      Because free will, ego that always has to obey God/ good or else you get evil. It's like you have to obey your conscience or it goes wrong. Satan had free will as an angel. Because we're not babies or animals.

God wanted to make friends and we're created to overcome evil and become perfect and be like Him. God uses satan and suffering to perfect us.
      God could have locked satan up before creation I think. But then man would have sinned sooner or later anyway.
      Where did evil come from? If God is a perfect being, wouldn't it be impossible for Him to create anything with imperfections. Yet humans are imperfect creatures who cause evil. Does this mean that no such God exists?

Note: this question is intended to drive the conversation and encourage a thought. I am not suggesting that God does not exist.