What does God's Sovereignty mean?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The Sovereignty of God is the biblical teaching that all things are under God's rule and control, and that nothing happens without His direction or permission. God works not just some things but all things according to the counsel of His own will (see Eph. 1:11). His purposes are all-inclusive and never thwarted (see Isa. 46:11); nothing takes Him by surprise. The sovereignty of God is not merely that God has the power and right to govern all things, but that He does so, always and without exception. In other words, God is not merely sovereign de jure (in principle), but sovereign de facto (in practice).

"What do we mean by [the sovereignty of God]? We mean the supremacy of God, the kingship of God, the god-hood of God. To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that God is God. To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that He is the Most High, doing according to His will in the army of Heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth, so that none can stay His hand or say unto Him what doest Thou? (Dan. 4:35). To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that He is the Almighty, the Possessor of all power in Heaven and earth, so that none can defeat His counsels, thwart His purpose, or resist His will (Psa. 115:3). To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that He is "The Governor among the nations" (Psa. 22:28), setting up kingdoms, overthrowing empires, and determining the course of dynasties as pleaseth Him best. To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that He is the "Only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords" (1 Tim. 6:15). Such is the God of the Bible." A. W. Pink, The Sovereignty of God, chapter 1.

God's sovereignty in salvation means that He saves whom He will, and those whom He saves owe nothing to anything in or of themselves. They are saved because God graciously chose them in eternity and regenerated and called them in history. They cannot even take credit for their faith because it is the gift that He Himself sovereignly bestows.
https://www.theopedia.com/sovereignty-of-god

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The Sovereignty of God is the biblical teaching that all things are under God's rule and control, and that nothing happens without His direction or permission. God works not just some things but all things according to the counsel of His own will (see Eph. 1:11). His purposes are all-inclusive and never thwarted (see Isa. 46:11); nothing takes Him by surprise. The sovereignty of God is not merely that God has the power and right to govern all things, but that He does so, always and without exception. In other words, God is not merely sovereign de jure (in principle), but sovereign de facto (in practice).

"What do we mean by [the sovereignty of God]? We mean the supremacy of God, the kingship of God, the god-hood of God. To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that God is God. To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that He is the Most High, doing according to His will in the army of Heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth, so that none can stay His hand or say unto Him what doest Thou? (Dan. 4:35). To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that He is the Almighty, the Possessor of all power in Heaven and earth, so that none can defeat His counsels, thwart His purpose, or resist His will (Psa. 115:3). To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that He is "The Governor among the nations" (Psa. 22:28), setting up kingdoms, overthrowing empires, and determining the course of dynasties as pleaseth Him best. To say that God is Sovereign is to declare that He is the "Only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords" (1 Tim. 6:15). Such is the God of the Bible." A. W. Pink, The Sovereignty of God, chapter 1.

God's sovereignty in salvation means that He saves whom He will, and those whom He saves owe nothing to anything in or of themselves. They are saved because God graciously chose them in eternity and regenerated and called them in history. They cannot even take credit for their faith because it is the gift that He Himself sovereignly bestows.
The problem you run into is the problem of pain. Some would say why then would God permit the cancer that a 2 year old has to kill her or for a little girl to get raped by her father or an elderly couple murdered for 2 dollars. If God is sovereign like you described why would he allow that and not stop it

Sent from my H710VL using Tapatalk

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The problem you run into is the problem of pain. Some would say why then would God permit the cancer that a 2 year old has to kill her or for a little girl to get raped by her father or an elderly couple murdered for 2 dollars. If God is sovereign like you described why would he allow that and not stop it

Because of two things.
First, God is not obligated to stop evil humans from rebelling. You may hate God for letting humans act in evil ways. I trust that even in very evil actions, God is working for good. My example is the book of Habakkuk. You really need to read it.
Second, God uses evil to accomplish good. This is hard to fathom, but the rebellion of humanity is a part of God's good weaving of grace and mercy. God has told us that we will face many trials and sorrows. He tells us to trust him. We have two options. We can be like Jobs wife and curse God or we can be like Job and acknowledge that God brings both the good and the bad for reasons that bring glory to his name.
What will you do when God brings such sorrow to your life? Your faith will be tested. But, take heart, Yeshua has overcome.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Because of two things.
First, God is not obligated to stop evil humans from rebelling. You may hate God for letting humans act in evil ways. I trust that even in very evil actions, God is working for good. My example is the book of Habakkuk. You really need to read it.
Second, God uses evil to accomplish good. This is hard to fathom, but the rebellion of humanity is a part of God's good weaving of grace and mercy. God has told us that we will face many trials and sorrows. He tells us to trust him. We have two options. We can be like Jobs wife and curse God or we can be like Job and acknowledge that God brings both the good and the bad for reasons that bring glory to his name.
What will you do when God brings such sorrow to your life? Your faith will be tested. But, take heart, Yeshua has overcome.
I don't believe that even in very evil actions God is bringing about good. Romans 8:28 doesn't promise that. Sometimes evil things happen and nothing redemptive comes out of it. It part of living in a fallen, depraved society.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that even in very evil actions God is bringing about good. Romans 8:28 doesn't promise that. Sometimes evil things happen and nothing redemptive comes out of it. It part of living in a fallen, depraved society.

Did you read Habakkuk chapter 1?
Have you read Job where God ordains Job's suffering under Satan's design? Satan could not touch Job except by God's approval.
God gives approval to every evil action by rebels against rebels. He gives approval when saints suffer evil things as well.
God could easily extinguish all evil and establish paradise, but that is not his will at this time. We are left with a response to God's ordination. We can curse God because he has ordained pain and suffering in our lives or we can trust that the dark threads he weaves will result in a glorious tapestry that reveals the image of God in our lives.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It has been a while since I have read those sections of scripture but I have. One thing that I'm saying is that some things about God can only be understood fully in the next life. Now we see through a mirror dimly. I don't understand it but I trust God anyway

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Well...it looks like you have found your answer on theopedia. So why ask the question herem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Well...it looks like you have found your answer on theopedia. So why ask the question herem

I have shared one answer from one website. Is that the answer?

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have shared one answer from one website. Is that the answer?
It is an answer. But there are other possibilities.

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Did you read Habakkuk chapter 1?
Have you read Job where God ordains Job's suffering under Satan's design? Satan could not touch Job except by God's approval.
God gives approval to every evil action by rebels against rebels. He gives approval when saints suffer evil things as well.
God could easily extinguish all evil and establish paradise, but that is not his will at this time. We are left with a response to God's ordination. We can curse God because he has ordained pain and suffering in our lives or we can trust that the dark threads he weaves will result in a glorious tapestry that reveals the image of God in our lives.
This of course assumes that "the satan" described in Job is in fact Lucifer (aka Satan) which is also debated.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
This of course assumes that "the satan" described in Job is in fact Lucifer (aka Satan) which is also debated.

It accepts God's word as truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It accepts God's word as truth. Sadly, you seem bent on twisting a pretzel to make yourself king of your pond. I believe Dr Seuss wrote about you. [emoji41]
Hebrew word "satan" is used as both a noun and verb.
•The verb means "to be or act as an adversary" (see Ps. 38:20; 71:13; 109:4, 20, 21, 29; Zc 3:1).
•The noun "satan" can mean "adversary" in general (personal or national) (see Nu 22:22, 32; 1 Sam 29:4; 2 Sam 19:22 1 Kgs 5:4; 11:14, 23, 25; Ps 109:6).

CEB Numbers 22:22 Then God became angry because he went. So while he was riding on his donkey accompanied by his two servants, the LORD's messenger stood in the road as his adversary.

CEB Numbers 22:32 The LORD's messenger said to him, "Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I've come out here as an adversary, because you took the road recklessly in front of me.

NRS 1 Samuel 29:4 But the commanders of the Philistines were angry with him; and the commanders of the Philistines said to him, "Send the man back, so that he may return to the place that you have assigned to him; he shall not go down with us to battle, or else he may become an adversary to us in the battle. For how could this fellow reconcile himself to his lord? Would it not be with the heads of the men here?

NRS 2 Samuel 19:22 But David said, "What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah, that you should today become an adversary to me? Shall anyone be put to death in Israel this day? For do I not know that I am this day king over Israel?"

NRS 1 Kings 5:4 But now the LORD my God has given me rest on every side; there is neither adversary nor misfortune.

NRS 1 Kings 11:14 Then the LORD raised up an adversary against Solomon, Hadad the Edomite; he was of the royal house in Edom.

NRS 1 Kings 11:23 God raised up another adversary against Solomon, Rezon son of Eliada, who had fled from his master, King Hadadezer of Zobah.

NRS 1 Kings 11:25 He was an adversary of Israel all the days of Solomon, making trouble as Hadad did; he despised Israel and reigned over Aram.

NRS Psalm 109:6 They say, "Appoint a wicked man against him; let an accuser stand on his right.

•The noun "satan" can also mean a "superhuman adversary," referring to a supernatural being
(see Jb 1:6-9, 12, 2:1-4, 2:6-7; Zech. 3:2; 1 Chron 21:1). In most of these verses the Hebrew text says "the Satan." That is, the definite article ("the") is attached to the noun indicating that the word "Satan" is likely a title, not a proper name. (The use of the word "satan" in 1 Chronicles 21:1 is the only instance where the definite article is not present and there is disagreement whether this verse refers to a title or a proper name.)
"In English, when we refer to someone by means of a proper name, we do not use a
definite article (e.g. "Sarah," not "the Sarah"). In this practice Hebrew behaves identically. Therefore we must conclude that the individual in Job 1-2 and Zechariah 3:1-2 should be identified as "the accuser" (description of function) rather than as "Satan" (proper name)..."1

Source : J. H. Walton, "Satan," in Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings

Note how these two translations have chosen to render the Hebrew word "the-Satan" in Job:

CEB Job 1:6 One day the divine beings came to present themselves before the LORD, and the Adversary also came among them.

NIV Job 1:6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them.

Walton makes these points about profile of "the satan" in Job:2:

1) He has access to the heavenly throne and is likely counted among the members of the divine council (see Ps 89:5-8)

2) He doesn't initiate the discussion about Job

3) His role may be like that of a "parliamentarian" who identifies policies that are out of order

4) There is no emotion or "diabolical chuckle" associated with his comments and nothing intrinsically evil is described about the accuser. "Certainly what he does has negative consequences for Job, a righteous man, but the text makes it clear that God is at least equally responsible for what happens to Job, thus freeing the actions from being implicitly evil ... There is no tempting, corrupting, depraving or possessing."

Walton concludes, "...we are not in a position to claim that the satan in the book of Job should be identified with Satan as we know him in the NT on the premise that they act the same way. In fact, there is little if any overlap between their two profiles. This does not prove that they are not the same individual; it merely reduces (if not eliminates) the basis for claiming that they must be equated. The profile of the Hebrew satan in the book of Job does not answer to the same description as the Christian view of Satan in the NT."

So please stop with the insults.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Hebrew word "satan" is used as both a noun and verb.
•The verb means "to be or act as an adversary" (see Ps. 38:20; 71:13; 109:4, 20, 21, 29; Zc 3:1).
•The noun "satan" can mean "adversary" in general (personal or national) (see Nu 22:22, 32; 1 Sam 29:4; 2 Sam 19:22 1 Kgs 5:4; 11:14, 23, 25; Ps 109:6).

CEB Numbers 22:22 Then God became angry because he went. So while he was riding on his donkey accompanied by his two servants, the LORD's messenger stood in the road as his adversary.

CEB Numbers 22:32 The LORD's messenger said to him, "Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I've come out here as an adversary, because you took the road recklessly in front of me.

NRS 1 Samuel 29:4 But the commanders of the Philistines were angry with him; and the commanders of the Philistines said to him, "Send the man back, so that he may return to the place that you have assigned to him; he shall not go down with us to battle, or else he may become an adversary to us in the battle. For how could this fellow reconcile himself to his lord? Would it not be with the heads of the men here?

NRS 2 Samuel 19:22 But David said, "What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah, that you should today become an adversary to me? Shall anyone be put to death in Israel this day? For do I not know that I am this day king over Israel?"

NRS 1 Kings 5:4 But now the LORD my God has given me rest on every side; there is neither adversary nor misfortune.

NRS 1 Kings 11:14 Then the LORD raised up an adversary against Solomon, Hadad the Edomite; he was of the royal house in Edom.

NRS 1 Kings 11:23 God raised up another adversary against Solomon, Rezon son of Eliada, who had fled from his master, King Hadadezer of Zobah.

NRS 1 Kings 11:25 He was an adversary of Israel all the days of Solomon, making trouble as Hadad did; he despised Israel and reigned over Aram.

NRS Psalm 109:6 They say, "Appoint a wicked man against him; let an accuser stand on his right.

•The noun "satan" can also mean a "superhuman adversary," referring to a supernatural being
(see Jb 1:6-9, 12, 2:1-4, 2:6-7; Zech. 3:2; 1 Chron 21:1). In most of these verses the Hebrew text says "the Satan." That is, the definite article ("the") is attached to the noun indicating that the word "Satan" is likely a title, not a proper name. (The use of the word "satan" in 1 Chronicles 21:1 is the only instance where the definite article is not present and there is disagreement whether this verse refers to a title or a proper name.)
"In English, when we refer to someone by means of a proper name, we do not use a
definite article (e.g. "Sarah," not "the Sarah"). In this practice Hebrew behaves identically. Therefore we must conclude that the individual in Job 1-2 and Zechariah 3:1-2 should be identified as "the accuser" (description of function) rather than as "Satan" (proper name)..."1

Source : J. H. Walton, "Satan," in Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings

Note how these two translations have chosen to render the Hebrew word "the-Satan" in Job:

CEB Job 1:6 One day the divine beings came to present themselves before the LORD, and the Adversary also came among them.

NIV Job 1:6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them.

Walton makes these points about profile of "the satan" in Job:2:

1) He has access to the heavenly throne and is likely counted among the members of the divine council (see Ps 89:5-8)

2) He doesn't initiate the discussion about Job

3) His role may be like that of a "parliamentarian" who identifies policies that are out of order

4) There is no emotion or "diabolical chuckle" associated with his comments and nothing intrinsically evil is described about the accuser. "Certainly what he does has negative consequences for Job, a righteous man, but the text makes it clear that God is at least equally responsible for what happens to Job, thus freeing the actions from being implicitly evil ... There is no tempting, corrupting, depraving or possessing."

Walton concludes, "...we are not in a position to claim that the satan in the book of Job should be identified with Satan as we know him in the NT on the premise that they act the same way. In fact, there is little if any overlap between their two profiles. This does not prove that they are not the same individual; it merely reduces (if not eliminates) the basis for claiming that they must be equated. The profile of the Hebrew satan in the book of Job does not answer to the same description as the Christian view of Satan in the NT."

So please stop with the insults.

You are looking for ways to get around God's sovereign authority over your life. Looking for ways to ignore Satan's existence (though Jesus never ignores the reality of Satan). Why is that? What has happened that you disdain God's authority over every part of your existence? I find liberalism fascinating. Continue please...

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You are looking for ways to get around God's sovereign authority over your life. Looking for ways to ignore Satan's existence (though Jesus never ignores the reality of Satan). Why is that? What has happened that you disdain God's authority over every part of your existence? I find liberalism fascinating. Continue please...
I am not ignoring Satan's existence. I am only providing reasonable evidence to support the position that "the satan" mentioned in Job may not necessarily be Satan (Lucifer). Nothing more, nothing less. Why do you assume that I am "trying to get around God's sovereign authority"? I made no such claim.

Do you treat everyone who disagrees with your theological views with insults and accusations? That is not very charitable. I would greatly appreciate it if you change your tone and be more civil.

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Did God send Lucifer to confront Balam (Numbers 22:22)? So why do you assume that Lucifer is "the satan" described in Job?

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Could you please address the evidence I generously provided? It appears as though you cannot argue with the evidence supporting my claim. Insults and accusations does not change the facts presented to you.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I am not ignoring Satan's existence. I am only providing reasonable evidence to support the position that "the satan" mentioned in Job may not necessarily be Satan (Lucifer). Nothing more, nothing less. Why do you assume that I am "trying to get around God's sovereign authority"? I made no such claim.

Do you treat everyone who disagrees with your theological views with insults and accusations? That is not very charitable. I would greatly appreciate it if you change your tone and be more civil.

You strike me as one who isn't forthright. I would appreciate you sharing your theology as you come off as a person with a liberal theology. I am a forthright person. You know where I stand. Show some courage and speak your mind.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Did God send Lucifer to confront Balam (Numbers 22:22)? So why do you assume that Lucifer is "the satan" described in Job?

Do you always change subjects? Notice how far off topic you have gone.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Could you please address the evidence I generously provided? It appears as though you cannot argue with the evidence supporting my claim. Insults and accusations does not change the facts presented to you.

What evidence about God's Sovereignty have you provided?

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You strike me as one who isn't forthright. I would appreciate you sharing your theology as you come off as a person with a liberal theology. I am a forthright person. You know where I stand. Show some courage and speak your mind.
So now I am not "forthright". Btw, I am not a "liberal theologan". Yet another baseless accusation. Are you ever going to address the evidence I provided?

Top Bottom