Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I use to go to a church where members smoked outside the education building before Sunday School. I know many church attenders probably smoke or use tobacco and don't see any problem with it. I don't want to be legalistic about it like it is going to jeopardize someone's salvation, but aren't we told in the Bible that our bodies are the temple of God. Doesn't that mean that we should be good stewards of our bodies and not do things like use tobacco which causes cancer and heart disease and other problems. I mean if you want tar go lick a road!

My grandfather was a smoker in the 70's, but it seems that not as much was widely known about the dangers of tobacco and smoking. He usually rolled his own cigarettes or smoked Camel cigarettes which were unfiltered. He died when I was 15 years old.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've never used any tobacco product of any kind....

I've never seen anyone at my church use such on church property, anyway.

Not that I know any who are sinless.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I use to go to a church where members smoked outside the education building before Sunday School. I know many church attenders probably smoke or use tobacco and don't see any problem with it. I don't want to be legalistic about it like it is going to jeopardize someone's salvation, but aren't we told in the Bible that our bodies are the temple of God. Doesn't that mean that we should be good stewards of our bodies and not do things like use tobacco which causes cancer and heart disease and other problems. I mean if you want tar go lick a road!

My grandfather was a smoker in the 70's, but it seems that not as much was widely known about the dangers of tobacco and smoking. He usually rolled his own cigarettes or smoked Camel cigarettes which were unfiltered. He died when I was 15 years old.

The whole "temple of God" thing is the kind of thing that seems like it opens a huge can of worms every time it gets brought up. Some take issue with smoking, others with drinking, others with eating too much in general and still others with anything that doesn't fit their specific concept of what a healthy diet should look like. Where the latter is concerned there's a whole mishmash of things that look like scientific advice but where one study contradicts another and where most of us can see anecdotal evidence around us that contradicts all of it.

Just for one example - some say that any alcohol is bad, others say that a small amount of red wine is good for you, others say that drinking in moderation in general is fine. Fish, depending on who you believe, is either very healthy because it's packed with omega-3 and omega-6 oils, or very unhealthy because they swim in the sea and the sea is full of mercury and other toxins.

Since there's not much dispute that smoking is generally very bad for us we might make a stronger case that we shouldn't be putting tobacco smoke into the temple of God but, given the growing evidence of the harm caused by vehicle exhausts, should we say that Christians shouldn't live by main roads or that Christians shouldn't drive cars?

I'm not a smoker and never have been, and frankly would rather someone smokes outside than brings their cigarette inside with them.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The whole "temple of God" thing is the kind of thing that seems like it opens a huge can of worms every time it gets brought up. Some take issue with smoking, others with drinking, others with eating too much in general and still others with anything that doesn't fit their specific concept of what a healthy diet should look like. Where the latter is concerned there's a whole mishmash of things that look like scientific advice but where one study contradicts another and where most of us can see anecdotal evidence around us that contradicts all of it.

Just for one example - some say that any alcohol is bad, others say that a small amount of red wine is good for you, others say that drinking in moderation in general is fine. Fish, depending on who you believe, is either very healthy because it's packed with omega-3 and omega-6 oils, or very unhealthy because they swim in the sea and the sea is full of mercury and other toxins.

Since there's not much dispute that smoking is generally very bad for us we might make a stronger case that we shouldn't be putting tobacco smoke into the temple of God but, given the growing evidence of the harm caused by vehicle exhausts, should we say that Christians shouldn't live by main roads or that Christians shouldn't drive cars?

I'm not a smoker and never have been, and frankly would rather someone smokes outside than brings their cigarette inside with them.
As far as unsanitary things going through the mouth (and no not a copout just bare with me, the context implies unsanitary/harmful things entering into the body, in this case by not washing hands)

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying? But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up. Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable. And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding? Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
Matthew 15:8-20
----------
Pharmakeia is where the word pharmacy comes from, medicine or the study of elements was forbidden and was considered witch craft yet today we are prone to premature death without them. Things have changed but yes cigarettes are bad bad bad for us. We are born with cancer, all of us, and our foods we eat even 'healthy' foods and 'seeds (gmo) are bad for us. Sugar is bad, too much meat is bad, the toxics we inhale 'fuel, gas, work environment poisons/dust our air is polluted. The love of money prevents cures for cancer and indeed radiation treatment is bad, sun exposure and those who work 16 hours a day in harsh conditions (not too long ago children were enslaved in the coal mines). Smoking used to be advertised as a health benefit, so was cocaine cola, heroin was legal and speed is legal to our children generically and opioids for people in constant pain. But most importantly our diet and pill intake (harsh on liver).
Smoking cannabis is scientifically proven to help seizures, but to be real, free will smoking sets off the dopamine receptors (the term Dope comes from Dopamine) which is a fleshy pleasure but getting a message on your phone sets off the same chemical.
We do want to prevent premature death and stay healthy and its best not to smoke or to drink heavily for these reasons (drunkenness is a sin and causes liver disease).
I got saved and quit a few days after, my friend told me that God told him that he wasnt expecting my to quit just then and to pray.... I wish he never said that, a few weeks later I though "well since God didn't expect me to quick perhaps I could have one here and there".... yeah, so now I smoke a lot less but its back none the less. I was doing really good but the flood hit and church was cancelled and my friend told me this and well, a few and I hide it from everybody. I made it a goal years back that no matter what I am definitely without a doubt quitting by the time I turn 35 because research shows that quitting at that age will heal your longa and you shouldn't have any complications in the long run.
I keep it between me and God and and even then I feel ashamed due to the stigma of it all, I do know that when I did quit I got major sugar cravings and diabetes runs in the family, so I got to fight that next. Trials and tribulation but my heart is set on stoping at 35 hopefully sooner.
I just cant let it kill my soul, and as far as my body being the temple, I take that to heart and think about that all the time.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I have to stop w nicotin chewing gum and my phone.
I took chewing gum to stop w smoking but now I still take that.
A preacher said if a baby cries we put something in their mouths for comfort and now we still do that w smoking, food, drugs, but we have the Comforter now.
There was one guy in church prayed for to get set free from harddrugs and he was also addicted to smoking but he had no money left and no cigs, so he asked me outside if I still smoked and I offered him my chewing gum which he was happy with and now I feel bad.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

Ahem.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have to stop w nicotin chewing gum and my phone.
I took chewing gum to stop w smoking but now I still take that.
A preacher said if a baby cries we put something in their mouths for comfort and now we still do that w smoking, food, drugs, but we have the Comforter now.
There was one guy in church prayed for to get set free from harddrugs and he was also addicted to smoking but he had no money left and no cigs, so he asked me outside if I still smoked and I offered him my chewing gum which he was happy with and now I feel bad.

Why would you feel bad about that?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Yes, it does open up a can of worms (as they say) and maybe it should. I think it comes down to stewardship. If common sense tells us that filling your lungs with poison and smoke is bad for you you don't need a label on the carton to tell you that's a bad idea. The idea of stewardship has implications for food, drink, what we eat and all sorts of things

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
As far as unsanitary things going through the mouth (and no not a copout just bare with me, the context implies unsanitary/harmful things entering into the body, in this case by not washing hands)

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying? But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up. Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable. And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding? Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
Matthew 15:8-20
----------
Pharmakeia is where the word pharmacy comes from, medicine or the study of elements was forbidden and was considered witch craft yet today we are prone to premature death without them. Things have changed but yes cigarettes are bad bad bad for us. We are born with cancer, all of us, and our foods we eat even 'healthy' foods and 'seeds (gmo) are bad for us. Sugar is bad, too much meat is bad, the toxics we inhale 'fuel, gas, work environment poisons/dust our air is polluted. The love of money prevents cures for cancer and indeed radiation treatment is bad, sun exposure and those who work 16 hours a day in harsh conditions (not too long ago children were enslaved in the coal mines). Smoking used to be advertised as a health benefit, so was cocaine cola, heroin was legal and speed is legal to our children generically and opioids for people in constant pain. But most importantly our diet and pill intake (harsh on liver).
Smoking cannabis is scientifically proven to help seizures, but to be real, free will smoking sets off the dopamine receptors (the term Dope comes from Dopamine) which is a fleshy pleasure but getting a message on your phone sets off the same chemical.
We do want to prevent premature death and stay healthy and its best not to smoke or to drink heavily for these reasons (drunkenness is a sin and causes liver disease).
I got saved and quit a few days after, my friend told me that God told him that he wasnt expecting my to quit just then and to pray.... I wish he never said that, a few weeks later I though "well since God didn't expect me to quick perhaps I could have one here and there".... yeah, so now I smoke a lot less but its back none the less. I was doing really good but the flood hit and church was cancelled and my friend told me this and well, a few and I hide it from everybody. I made it a goal years back that no matter what I am definitely without a doubt quitting by the time I turn 35 because research shows that quitting at that age will heal your longa and you shouldn't have any complications in the long run.
I keep it between me and God and and even then I feel ashamed due to the stigma of it all, I do know that when I did quit I got major sugar cravings and diabetes runs in the family, so I got to fight that next. Trials and tribulation but my heart is set on stoping at 35 hopefully sooner.
I just cant let it kill my soul, and as far as my body being the temple, I take that to heart and think about that all the time.

Hide it from everybody. Those ppl are so irritating. Why dont you just stop? Shut up. Sit there cosily w your wife and fine ministry, never smoked.
I started smoking after the divorce when they put me on medical drugs, to get normal from that. Guy in the nuthouse offered me cigars. Glad I couldnt stand pot.
I just see it as a demon and kicked it out but now I still use chewing gum. I used to go to the Holy Spirit when I felt bad. I changed the Holy Spirit w pills and now nicotine chewing gum. Stress? Go chew. Cause if I get mad I go to hell and that keeps me calm. Sometimes I try to take less but if I throw it away I go smoke again if something happens. Guy on cchat said God helped him get rid of it w chewing gum, but it's also addictive. Guess I should just soak more. I try change it w normal chewing gum.

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Hide it from everybody. Those ppl are so irritating. Why dont you just stop? Shut up. Sit there cosily w your wife and fine ministry, never smoked.
I started smoking after the divorce when they put me on medical drugs, to get normal from that. Guy in the nuthouse offered me cigars. Glad I couldnt stand pot.
I just see it as a demon and kicked it out but now I still use chewing gum. I used to go to the Holy Spirit when I felt bad. I changed the Holy Spirit w pills and now nicotine chewing gum. Stress? Go chew. Cause if I get mad I go to hell and that keeps me calm. Sometimes I try to take less but if I throw it away I go smoke again if something happens. Guy on cchat said God helped him get rid of it w chewing gum, but it's also addictive. Guess I should just soak more.
I smoked for 40 years and tried top quit multiple times and couldnt. I ws fiinally prescribed Chantix and have been quit for many years, that worked for me when nothing else did.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Whether it's truly a sin or not I cannot say. I never smoked. When I was diagnosed with my tongue cancer the first question asked every time by every doctor was "Do you smoke?" NO. My oncologist then asked, "Were you around second hand smoke?" Yes, for the first 20 years of my life.

Second hand smoke concerns the people around us...our neighbors who need our love. Blowing smoke that they're breathing in is not very loving, especially now that we know the dangers of second hand smoke. As a child I would hold my breath as long as I could in a car trapped with smokers. I get very mad if I see people doing that to children today!! It's endangerment and I feel THAT is a sin.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Whether it's truly a sin or not I cannot say. I never smoked. When I was diagnosed with my tongue cancer the first question asked every time by every doctor was "Do you smoke?" NO. My oncologist then asked, "Were you around second hand smoke?" Yes, for the first 20 years of my life.

Second hand smoke concerns the people around us...our neighbors who need our love. Blowing smoke that they're breathing in is not very loving, especially now that we know the dangers of second hand smoke. As a child I would hold my breath as long as I could in a car trapped with smokers. I get very mad if I see people doing that to children today!! It's endangerment and I feel THAT is a sin.

Almost noone does that anymore. Almost noone smokes anymore. I used to hang out w a group at work at the balcony cause one collegue smoked. First they just had an ash tray on their desk when I started to work there. Now there's a few ppl left who still smoke, out in the cold. Poor things. They get banned everywhere, so most stop.
I can't hang out w my brother cause he just smokes in the car. I never cared when I didnt smoke, but now that I started and stopped I walk away if someone smokes on the street or hold my nose in.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Sitting around a campfire: It's all good.
Enjoying the heat from a fireplace: No problem.
The wife burned the dinner: Oh well. It happens.
Living near industry that pumps out massive amounts of smoke every day: That's life.
Breathing in Carbon Monoxide from the hundreds of cars one may encounter every day living in the city: No worries.

Tobacco smoke: Holy Toledo Beavis! Do you want to give me Lung Cancer and Heart Disease? You horrible horrible inconsiderate meanie!

Now I'm not sure why God put tobacco on this Earth, to smoke or chew or whatever or for some other reason, but I'm reasonably sure the Devil would like everyone to know it's like, the only cause of suffering and disease in the realm we live in. As everyone living in modern society has come into contact with tobacco smoke at some time in their lives, it's as convenient as genes to blame everything on.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sitting around a campfire: It's all good.
Enjoying the heat from a fireplace: No problem.
The wife burned the dinner: Oh well. It happens.
Living near industry that pumps out massive amounts of smoke every day: That's life.
Breathing in Carbon Monoxide from the hundreds of cars one may encounter every day living in the city: No worries.

Tobacco smoke: Holy Toledo Beavis! Do you want to give me Lung Cancer and Heart Disease? You horrible horrible inconsiderate meanie!

Now I'm not sure why God put tobacco on this Earth, to smoke or chew or whatever or for some other reason, but I'm reasonably sure the Devil would like everyone to know it's like, the only cause of suffering and disease in the realm we live in. As everyone living in modern society has come into contact with tobacco smoke at some time in their lives, it's as convenient as genes to blame everything on.

Inhaling any type of smoke is not healthy for the body.

Not everyone who smokes will get cancer but there are health factors that improve once smoking ceases such as a normal heart rate and blood pressure, decline of carbon monoxide in the blood, improved circulation, less mucous/phlegm and improved lung function. Because cessation of smoking shows improvements, it's safe to say that smoking is a health hazard. It doesn't just cause cancer or heart disease, there are many other ways that it is harmful and affects nearly every organ of the body. COPD, bronchitis, cataracts, diabetes, osteorporosis, rheumatoid arthritis are just some of the other effects that tobacco use has on the body.

Cigarette companies have changed the ways they make their product and the effects of tobacco use has changed subsequently such as a decline in one type of cancer but increase in another. Cigarette companies purposely design their products so that they are addictive.

Now the bringing up of other elements that cause breathing problems, or similar health hazards, we do see a lot of people campaigning for environmental changes. It's just that it takes time for the government to jump in depending on how much money they can make off it. Emissions testing...free is some areas, costly in others.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I smoked for 40 years and tried top quit multiple times and couldnt. I ws fiinally prescribed Chantix and have been quit for many years, that worked for me when nothing else did.
It worked before but I tried again and it made me really nauseous and dizzy, I still have em, perhaps I can take some time off work to get used to it

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I used to smoke, but I quit the " old guy way." I reduced my cigarette intake over the course of six months and now I'm cigarette free and have been for years. I don't get sick as often as I used to and I have more money in my pocket. Stress? Sure. Prayers and writing in my journal help with that ( as does the occasional drink). I can't abide the smell of cigarette smoke now, but I grin and bear it, especially at work.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
It worked before but I tried again and it made me really nauseous and dizzy, I still have em, perhaps I can take some time off work to get used to it

I don't trust that stuff. All these pills make me crazy. Even from a cigarette I get high. My brother locks himself up for 3 weeks if he quits so he bothers noone w his mood lol.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I don't trust that stuff. All these pills make me crazy. Even from a cigarette I get high. My brother locks himself up for 3 weeks if he quits so he bothers noone w his mood lol.
I can keep a good mood when I quit, my problem is feeling sleepy and not falling asleep, also i get a major sugar tooth and its hard for me to relax (not stress i just have a oral fixations that bug me)
I have one maybe in the morning, one at lunch and one after dinner (not too often).
I quit and a few weeks later i will do it out of boredom and then more often and then i quit again. :(

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I can keep a good mood when I quit, my problem is feeling sleepy and not falling asleep, also i get a major sugar tooth and its hard for me to relax (not stress i just have a oral fixations that bug me)
I have one maybe in the morning, one at lunch and one after dinner (not too often).
I quit and a few weeks later i will do it out of boredom and then more often and then i quit again. :(

I smoked for only one year and stopped started stopped started stopped started stopped for lemme see 6 years. But then I'd buy one pack, smoke it all and not buy a new one the next day. I was like: if I fall for it one day I'm not immediately addicted again. Just said sorry again and stopped. What a rotten stuff it is.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Kissing a girl who smokes is like kissing an ash tray.

Top Bottom