Help me understand 'Elf'

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Is this film supposed to be funny, charming, what...?
It's Will Ferrell dressed up as a giant elf, doing the childish slap-stick that Will Ferrell does.
Help me understand.
Thanks

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Elf is silliness for adults :D I think I've watched it 7 times this season already!

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I did like the early parts with him at the North Pole. I love Bob Newhart. Really well cast

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I'm planning on watching 'Trading Places' tonight after church (Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy). That's my holiday favorite :) - a little more crude, though. Funny that my mom was always okay taking me to see such movies when I was younger
'A Christmas Story' is another favorite

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
The thing about Will Ferrell is that I've seen him play a somewhat serious role (Stranger Than Fiction) where he genuinely showed his true acting skills, and was very funny in the film without having it seem as if it was at his own expense. Jim Carrey is the same way with a role he played (The Truman Show). I sometimes wonder why, then, they don't play more roles like that. I'd like to see the 'Anchorman' movies, though, and might watch them soon. The character was based on a news anchor from Detroit that I watched for years.

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i like smiling. Smilings my favorite.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
i like smiling. Smilings my favorite.
:hearts:

Elf has a signifigant meaning for me on this site, though I've never actually sat and watched the movie (was kinda waiting for that) ..... :friends:

Funny, but 1 year ago, I spent some time in a 'live video chat' while in church with someone (an Elf fan) who I was just growing to love and was pretty 'over the top' about at that moment, for the first time thinking maybe God really had brought us together, maybe there was someone for me and I could be for her, and we were a couple of ppl that He maybe gave a second (millionth?) chance to to share some love and happiness by His grace together.

Anyway, I was pretty nuts about her, (ppl who knew me knew it, and they also thought I was nuts, bc it would seem near impossible to work out, for many reasons), but even though I knew it would take time, I believed w God all things were possible, and if it's His will, it will be done, so keeping faith hope and love alive was key and I tried, but I'm a knucklehead with no experience and Im not very good at these sorts of things, and I guess I blew it big time.

Anyway, shortly thereafter I joined this site, and was on and off for a number of months, but then I stopped coming on it thru a 'virtual' self-ban or mod queue, whatever they call it ...

Then we both decided being on all chatforums in general was getting too addicting and distracting ... We needed to focus more on Jesus and each other, plus I had tons of work to do to prepare for a very exciting, if uncertain future.

But she chose another 'direction', lets say, and came back here in August...I found out about it a month later, and in September, figured oh well, I'll come back, too, but I could see the inevitable happening, she made it pretty clear she had other interests which didnt include me.

(Anyway, we didnt make it a year, and Christmas Eve this year was ... well, quite diff than last year, :( to say the least, and if it werent for Jesus .......)

Anyway, her favorite movie (at least one of them, that didnt have Doris Day, lol) was Elf, and since I didnt know what to pick as a nickname here, I thought Id tie it in with another favorite 'nickname' and pick Renself, but I thought that was too 'obvious, and too soon', so I switched it to Elfrens, but that seemed LOTR-ish, and I didnt know if she'd like that, so I reversed it to Snerfle.

Unfortunately (for me, anyway) it didnt make it a year, but here's this thread about Elf started on Christmas Eve, so thats some irony, huh?
I was holding off writing this in the other thread about choosing nicknames, but there it is.

It's funny, too, but sometimes life can be as cold and hard as the ice on the lake that hotrhymez skates on, and just as cruel as a weak spot of vulnerability if you 'fall in'...

But God is good all the time, today is Christmas Day, amazing grace, Jesus saves and heals and binds up the broken-hearted, (and wow do I need Him today) He says, 'I'll never leave you or forsake you', (O S A S is true), and the Lord still works miracles everyday and it's still true with God all things are possible...He can save anyone, even a wretch like me.
Merry Christmas, everyone ... Jesus loves you.
The peace and joy and love of Christ be with you.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Merry Christmas brother

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
my wife loves this movie. I think she has watched it twice this week.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is this film supposed to be funny, charming, what...?
It's Will Ferrell dressed up as a giant elf, doing the childish slap-stick that Will Ferrell does.
Help me understand.
Thanks

That's it in a nutshell.

This film was made when Will Farrell was hot stuff, and the film was probably expected not to have a popularity extending across the decades--like "Ernest saves Christmas." But I think people found something charming about the misfit elf that gave this film "legs."

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
I DO still love her, and miss her very much this Christmas.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
THE ORIGINS OF "SNERFLE"!
God bless you, brother, and Merry Christmas :)

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I did watch 'Anchorman' last night. That one was pretty good.
I'll have to say that I die laughing every time I watch the 'more cowbell' skit, though :D

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
nm

Last edited:
Top Bottom