Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24 ESV

It almost sounds like putting on or taking off a piece of clothing. The word "and to be renewed" is the transliterated word ananeoo which means to renew in the mind. That says to me we have to renew our thinking. The old self is corrupt (which is being corrupted) is phtheiro which means to be destroyed, perish, corrupt. The new self is "in the likeness of God" and has been created in righteousness and holiness of truth.

The deeds of the old man or the flesh are written in Galatians 5:19-21 things like immorality, impurity, sensuality, anger, disputes, strife and jealousy. Paul says these who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

My prayer is that all who read this will be renewed in the new man by God's Spirit and bear fruit for Him. Just as it is my prayer for myself as well

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24 ESV

It almost sounds like putting on or taking off a piece of clothing. The word "and to be renewed" is the transliterated word ananeoo which means to renew in the mind. That says to me we have to renew our thinking. The old self is corrupt (which is being corrupted) is phtheiro which means to be destroyed, perish, corrupt. The new self is "in the likeness of God" and has been created in righteousness and holiness of truth.

The deeds of the old man or the flesh are written in Galatians 5:19-21 things like immorality, impurity, sensuality, anger, disputes, strife and jealousy. Paul says these who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

My prayer is that all who read this will be renewed in the new man by God's Spirit and bear fruit for Him. Just as it is my prayer for myself as well

Amen

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The two verses above these give more insight..

Ephesians 4:15-16 But practicing the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Christ, who is the head. 16 From him the whole body grows, fitted and held together through every supporting ligament. As each one does its part, the body grows in love.

We see that it's God growing us into our new selves. I like how Ephesians is showing that man shouldn't be man-centered but God-centered. How encouraging it is for Paul to address the people as he sat in prison and sharing with the Gentiles the truth found only in Christ.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One of the things you notice about the letter to the Ephesians is that Paul repeats the phrase "in Christ" numerous times.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One of the things you notice about the letter to the Ephesians is that Paul repeats the phrase "in Christ" numerous times.

I love that because it's about our identity :)

Top Bottom