CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.26%

Ephesians 4:22-24 Put on the new self

22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24 ESV

It almost sounds like putting on or taking off a piece of clothing. The word "and to be renewed" is the transliterated word ananeoo which means to renew in the mind. That says to me we have to renew our thinking. The old self is corrupt (which is being corrupted) is phtheiro which means to be destroyed, perish, corrupt. The new self is "in the likeness of God" and has been created in righteousness and holiness of truth.

The deeds of the old man or the flesh are written in Galatians 5:19-21 things like immorality, impurity, sensuality, anger, disputes, strife and jealousy. Paul says these who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

My prayer is that all who read this will be renewed in the new man by God's Spirit and bear fruit for Him. Just as it is my prayer for myself as well

2. Likes Imalive, psalms 91 liked this post
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,792,130 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      76.72%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24 ESV

It almost sounds like putting on or taking off a piece of clothing. The word "and to be renewed" is the transliterated word ananeoo which means to renew in the mind. That says to me we have to renew our thinking. The old self is corrupt (which is being corrupted) is phtheiro which means to be destroyed, perish, corrupt. The new self is "in the likeness of God" and has been created in righteousness and holiness of truth.

The deeds of the old man or the flesh are written in Galatians 5:19-21 things like immorality, impurity, sensuality, anger, disputes, strife and jealousy. Paul says these who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

My prayer is that all who read this will be renewed in the new man by God's Spirit and bear fruit for Him. Just as it is my prayer for myself as well
      Amen
      Isaiah 40:31

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (140,102 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.06%
      The two verses above these give more insight..

Ephesians 4:15-16 But practicing the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Christ, who is the head. 16 From him the whole body grows, fitted and held together through every supporting ligament. As each one does its part, the body grows in love.

We see that it's God growing us into our new selves. I like how Ephesians is showing that man shouldn't be man-centered but God-centered. How encouraging it is for Paul to address the people as he sat in prison and sharing with the Gentiles the truth found only in Christ.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.26%
      One of the things you notice about the letter to the Ephesians is that Paul repeats the phrase "in Christ" numerous times.

6. Likes Lämmchen liked this post
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (140,102 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.06%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      One of the things you notice about the letter to the Ephesians is that Paul repeats the phrase "in Christ" numerous times.
      I love that because it's about our identity
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus