Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I use the KJV because I find more room to interpret small data in the vast space of english evolution opposed to the more modern and more subjected-to-modern-human-error translations.
I do however find myself reading particular passages on repeat -like Hebrews 6:1-8, that can be completely and dangerously taken out of context on first read.
I used to be hung up on sticking to the King James solely but I must admit that seemingly against will -language does evolve/change/progress/proceed and that what I am looking at is nothing at all like the Wycliffe bible, and that even so- a bible published within the century would be quite unrecognizable now and.. well... here we are.
The NIV seems to hold some weight when looking through the glass darkly (so to speak) but with so many modern translations it's very easy to 'cherry pick' when making a point, especially online, and so that I don't get completely 'lost in translation' I usually will juxtapose verses side by side with the KJV just to make sure I'm not exposing myself to any 'wishful thinking' God forbid.

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I use the New King James as my regular go-to Bible, simply because that's what I ended up with. My physical Bible is a NKJV study Bible (I ended up with two copies of the exact same study Bible, due to a slightly strange combination of circumstances). Usually I read an electronic Bible because it lets me put several versions side by side and, on my laptop, lets me have one window with different translations in different tabs and another window with my commentaries in different tabs. It's nice to be able to work through Scripture, with my commentaries automatically keeping pace with where I am, and being able to flick between versions without having a dozen physical books open in front of me.

Sometimes I find it interesting to put the KJV, NKJV, NIV, NLT and The Message side by side.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I use the New King James as my regular go-to Bible, simply because that's what I ended up with. My physical Bible is a NKJV study Bible (I ended up with two copies of the exact same study Bible, due to a slightly strange combination of circumstances). Usually I read an electronic Bible because it lets me put several versions side by side and, on my laptop, lets me have one window with different translations in different tabs and another window with my commentaries in different tabs. It's nice to be able to work through Scripture, with my commentaries automatically keeping pace with where I am, and being able to flick between versions without having a dozen physical books open in front of me.

Sometimes I find it interesting to put the KJV, NKJV, NIV, NLT and The Message side by side.
Interesting, I need to buy myself a decent laptop again to help organize my studies. There is no decent net where I live and so I waved 'bye bye' to my computing long ago. I did have several programs that helped keep me from false self interpretations along with a good sense of concordance at one time, never thought of it before now - but in our time we really should use the current technology to our advantage in pursuit of the living word.
So many self proclaimed amateur YouTube bible thumper channels throw in full-on ignorant interpretations -tossing many potentials into the pit -and with no decent concordance or commentary (nor church) other than themselves -they are grossly expressed as the modern form of 'anti-christ doctrinaire' heretics forewarned of and already in the days of the Apostles.
These channels create algorithms that reflect unto the viewers/subscribers sub conscious all in the name of 'YouTube' Christianity (so to speak...) and without proper interpretation and translation of the bible they are treading in deep and dangerous water.
I used to be one and it actually took divine intervention to bring me out because I had no one to guide me at all, I am one of the lucky ones. Also now my YouTube algorithm is rightly divided.
....sorry, didn't mean to bring the subject down to its knees, just wanted to get that off my chest, let us continue with the original question "boxers or briefs?" [emoji39]

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What I use is what I have because I was given some bibles as a kid. I have KJV, ESV and NIV. I prefer to compare multiple translations though to be honest.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Interesting, I need to buy myself a decent laptop again to help organize my studies. There is no decent net where I live and so I waved 'bye bye' to my computing long ago. I did have several programs that helped keep me from false self interpretations along with a good sense of concordance at one time, never thought of it before now - but in our time we really should use the current technology to our advantage in pursuit of the living word.
So many self proclaimed amateur YouTube bible thumper channels throw in full-on ignorant interpretations -tossing many potentials into the pit -and with no decent concordance or commentary (nor church) other than themselves -they are grossly expressed as the modern form of 'anti-christ doctrinaire' heretics forewarned of and already in the days of the Apostles.
These channels create algorithms that reflect unto the viewers/subscribers sub conscious all in the name of 'YouTube' Christianity (so to speak...) and without proper interpretation and translation of the bible they are treading in deep and dangerous water.
I used to be one and it actually took divine intervention to bring me out because I had no one to guide me at all, I am one of the lucky ones. Also now my YouTube algorithm is rightly divided.
....sorry, didn't mean to bring the subject down to its knees, just wanted to get that off my chest, let us continue with the original question "boxers or briefs?" [emoji39]

This is just one problem with people who claim grand things like "the Holy Spirit is my teacher" because they get to push all sorts of utterly bizarre theologies while also being totally closed to even the possibility they are wrong. How can they be wrong, if the Holy Spirit is their teacher? If all someone has to go on is that "the Spirit revealed this to me" then there's a very significant chance what it means is "this feels right to me and I'm not interested in any alternative interpretations". For bonus points you can claim that the Spirit revealed the exact opposite to you, so you and they get to argue over who is listening to which spirit.

It's good to have a few commentaries as well so you can read what other people have concluded from their readings of Scripture. You might argue that my opinion is no more and no less valid than the writer of an commentary and to an extent you would be correct, in that the commentaries are not part of Scripture and therefore should not be considered divinely inspired. That said, the person who has spent decades studying Scripture is probably going to have a deeper understanding of the message as a whole than the person who has been attending church for three weeks. If I come up with an interpretation that's totally different from every single other commentary out there it's possible that I'm right and they are all wrong but it would certainly be sound practise to very seriously consider the possibility that I am wrong and they are right.

Back to the topic of using a computer to read the Bible. You don't actually need a powerful computer. If you want to do things like detailed searches, or maintaining 73 open tabs that all sync with each other, it can be helpful to have more processing power, and you may want a good chunk of disk space if you're planning on accumulating a large collection of resources (my library takes up a little over 1.3GB on my tablet, no idea what it is on my computer). That said disk space is so cheap these days it's not funny.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I use NASV most of the time. I bought one for myself back in 1984 and have continued to use it over the last 33 years. Every once in a while I will look at the NIV.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Actually, I use a bunch of them. It's good to compare the translations because that usually makes the meaning clear. But if I could have only one, I'd take the KJV.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I travel, like this weekend, I take my ultra thin KJV. I use to take a big fat study bible but the TSA at the airport always wanted to go through my luggage to get a better look at it.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
KJV for me as well

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
nbg51 cause it's readable. They say the Statenvertaling is better but the language is way too old, so you have no idea what they're even saying.
English I always read NKJV.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I travel, like this weekend, I take my ultra thin KJV. I use to take a big fat study bible but the TSA at the airport always wanted to go through my luggage to get a better look at it.

The last time I flew they thumbed through my Bible. Not sure what they were looking for.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The last time I flew they thumbed through my Bible. Not sure what they were looking for.

I was actually surprised she didn’t flip through it to see if the pages had been hollowed out to hid something in. Being the Bible was the cause for further inspection.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I use the KJV because I find more room to interpret small data in the vast space of english evolution opposed to the more modern and more subjected-to-modern-human-error translations.
I do however find myself reading particular passages on repeat -like Hebrews 6:1-8, that can be completely and dangerously taken out of context on first read.
I used to be hung up on sticking to the King James solely but I must admit that seemingly against will -language does evolve/change/progress/proceed and that what I am looking at is nothing at all like the Wycliffe bible, and that even so- a bible published within the century would be quite unrecognizable now and.. well... here we are.
The NIV seems to hold some weight when looking through the glass darkly (so to speak) but with so many modern translations it's very easy to 'cherry pick' when making a point, especially online, and so that I don't get completely 'lost in translation' I usually will juxtapose verses side by side with the KJV just to make sure I'm not exposing myself to any 'wishful thinking' God forbid.

I use the the NRSV as my regular Bible for reading, because it is used by the church that I attend for its service readings, and it's a relatively good, liberal translation. I use the Authorised Version for study as it works best with Strong's, and it is the most honest translation when it comes to where the translators have added or changed words ... the italics. I avoid the the fundamentalist translations/paraphrases (NIV, NASB, NKJV, etc.) like the plague, because they cater to only one, heretical, doctrinal viewpoint in their biases.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship

I'm going to have to tell my Muslim friends that trick ... thin copies of the Quran ... because big, thick copies of sacred scriptures raise suspicions of radical fundamentalism.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have a very tiny...about an inch in size...New Testament bible that hangs on my Christmas tree :) Yes, it's the full new testament. Let me see if I can find a pic here.

85d035dd4dac32c88b4be25cac5ab143--gift-shops-teacher-gifts.jpg

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Wow that’s cool! Never saw one of those before.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have a very tiny...about an inch in size...New Testament bible that hangs on my Christmas tree :) Yes, it's the full new testament. Let me see if I can find a pic here.

85d035dd4dac32c88b4be25cac5ab143--gift-shops-teacher-gifts.jpg
Me too! lol, except mine has excerpts from both the OT and NT, even tiny pics too... need a magnifying glass to read. I really wanted just an NT, used to have one but I can't find it anywhere it was a tiny pocket bible that was actually readable... so awesome. This ones a keychain but the chain already broke off, you have to baby it.
22f60c1f0fc971cf7a127206d266a8df.jpg

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Maybe they had been arguing over just what happened to King Hezekiah, or some such :)

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

One time when I was flying I had a really bolshy checkin assistant. I was allowed two 50lb pieces of luggage (this was long enough ago when luggage allowance was standard). She wanted to charge me overweight fees because one bag was about 52lb even though the other was less than 30lb. So I repacked right there in front of her. She seemed surprised when I lifted my study Bible out of the heavier bag and the weight dropped by nearly 5lb as she watched.

She said she'd never seen a book weigh that much. I just said "that's the word of God, dear" and she shut up. She didn't give me any more grief after that though, which was good :)

Top Bottom