• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bible Study - Thread: What Bible do you use and why?

DHoffmann is online now Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      35.23%

What Bible do you use and why?

I use the KJV because I find more room to interpret small data in the vast space of english evolution opposed to the more modern and more subjected-to-modern-human-error translations.
      I do however find myself reading particular passages on repeat -like Hebrews 6:1-8, that can be completely and dangerously taken out of context on first read.
      I used to be hung up on sticking to the King James solely but I must admit that seemingly against will -language does evolve/change/progress/proceed and that what I am looking at is nothing at all like the Wycliffe bible, and that even so- a bible published within the century would be quite unrecognizable now and.. well... here we are.
      The NIV seems to hold some weight when looking through the glass darkly (so to speak) but with so many modern translations it's very easy to 'cherry pick' when making a point, especially online, and so that I don't get completely 'lost in translation' I usually will juxtapose verses side by side with the KJV just to make sure I'm not exposing myself to any 'wishful thinking' God forbid.
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 12-23-2017 at 01:19 AM.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,372,125 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.9%
      I use the New King James as my regular go-to Bible, simply because that's what I ended up with. My physical Bible is a NKJV study Bible (I ended up with two copies of the exact same study Bible, due to a slightly strange combination of circumstances). Usually I read an electronic Bible because it lets me put several versions side by side and, on my laptop, lets me have one window with different translations in different tabs and another window with my commentaries in different tabs. It's nice to be able to work through Scripture, with my commentaries automatically keeping pace with where I am, and being able to flick between versions without having a dozen physical books open in front of me.

Sometimes I find it interesting to put the KJV, NKJV, NIV, NLT and The Message side by side.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

3. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      DHoffmann is online now Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      35.23%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      I use the New King James as my regular go-to Bible, simply because that's what I ended up with. My physical Bible is a NKJV study Bible (I ended up with two copies of the exact same study Bible, due to a slightly strange combination of circumstances). Usually I read an electronic Bible because it lets me put several versions side by side and, on my laptop, lets me have one window with different translations in different tabs and another window with my commentaries in different tabs. It's nice to be able to work through Scripture, with my commentaries automatically keeping pace with where I am, and being able to flick between versions without having a dozen physical books open in front of me.

Sometimes I find it interesting to put the KJV, NKJV, NIV, NLT and The Message side by side.
      Interesting, I need to buy myself a decent laptop again to help organize my studies. There is no decent net where I live and so I waved 'bye bye' to my computing long ago. I did have several programs that helped keep me from false self interpretations along with a good sense of concordance at one time, never thought of it before now - but in our time we really should use the current technology to our advantage in pursuit of the living word.
      So many self proclaimed amateur YouTube bible thumper channels throw in full-on ignorant interpretations -tossing many potentials into the pit -and with no decent concordance or commentary (nor church) other than themselves -they are grossly expressed as the modern form of 'anti-christ doctrinaire' heretics forewarned of and already in the days of the Apostles.
      These channels create algorithms that reflect unto the viewers/subscribers sub conscious all in the name of 'YouTube' Christianity (so to speak...) and without proper interpretation and translation of the bible they are treading in deep and dangerous water.
      I used to be one and it actually took divine intervention to bring me out because I had no one to guide me at all, I am one of the lucky ones. Also now my YouTube algorithm is rightly divided.
      ....sorry, didn't mean to bring the subject down to its knees, just wanted to get that off my chest, let us continue with the original question "boxers or briefs?"
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 12-23-2017 at 01:33 AM.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (105,434 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      98.67%
      What I use is what I have because I was given some bibles as a kid. I have KJV, ESV and NIV. I prefer to compare multiple translations though to be honest.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

6. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,372,125 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.9%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      Interesting, I need to buy myself a decent laptop again to help organize my studies. There is no decent net where I live and so I waved 'bye bye' to my computing long ago. I did have several programs that helped keep me from false self interpretations along with a good sense of concordance at one time, never thought of it before now - but in our time we really should use the current technology to our advantage in pursuit of the living word.
      So many self proclaimed amateur YouTube bible thumper channels throw in full-on ignorant interpretations -tossing many potentials into the pit -and with no decent concordance or commentary (nor church) other than themselves -they are grossly expressed as the modern form of 'anti-christ doctrinaire' heretics forewarned of and already in the days of the Apostles.
      These channels create algorithms that reflect unto the viewers/subscribers sub conscious all in the name of 'YouTube' Christianity (so to speak...) and without proper interpretation and translation of the bible they are treading in deep and dangerous water.
      I used to be one and it actually took divine intervention to bring me out because I had no one to guide me at all, I am one of the lucky ones. Also now my YouTube algorithm is rightly divided.
      ....sorry, didn't mean to bring the subject down to its knees, just wanted to get that off my chest, let us continue with the original question "boxers or briefs?"
      This is just one problem with people who claim grand things like "the Holy Spirit is my teacher" because they get to push all sorts of utterly bizarre theologies while also being totally closed to even the possibility they are wrong. How can they be wrong, if the Holy Spirit is their teacher? If all someone has to go on is that "the Spirit revealed this to me" then there's a very significant chance what it means is "this feels right to me and I'm not interested in any alternative interpretations". For bonus points you can claim that the Spirit revealed the exact opposite to you, so you and they get to argue over who is listening to which spirit.

It's good to have a few commentaries as well so you can read what other people have concluded from their readings of Scripture. You might argue that my opinion is no more and no less valid than the writer of an commentary and to an extent you would be correct, in that the commentaries are not part of Scripture and therefore should not be considered divinely inspired. That said, the person who has spent decades studying Scripture is probably going to have a deeper understanding of the message as a whole than the person who has been attending church for three weeks. If I come up with an interpretation that's totally different from every single other commentary out there it's possible that I'm right and they are all wrong but it would certainly be sound practise to very seriously consider the possibility that I am wrong and they are right.

Back to the topic of using a computer to read the Bible. You don't actually need a powerful computer. If you want to do things like detailed searches, or maintaining 73 open tabs that all sync with each other, it can be helpful to have more processing power, and you may want a good chunk of disk space if you're planning on accumulating a large collection of resources (my library takes up a little over 1.3GB on my tablet, no idea what it is on my computer). That said disk space is so cheap these days it's not funny.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

8. Pray DHoffmann prayed
      jsimms435 is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      1.22%
      I use NASV most of the time. I bought one for myself back in 1984 and have continued to use it over the last 33 years. Every once in a while I will look at the NIV.

10. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      Albion is online now Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      32.11%
      Actually, I use a bunch of them. It's good to compare the translations because that usually makes the meaning clear. But if I could have only one, I'd take the KJV.

12. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      Tigger is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Piratey

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      73.69%
      When I travel, like this weekend, I take my ultra thin KJV. I use to take a big fat study bible but the TSA at the airport always wanted to go through my luggage to get a better look at it.

psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,071,671 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      79.75%
      KJV for me as well
      Isaiah 40:31

Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.78%
      nbg51 cause it's readable. They say the Statenvertaling is better but the language is way too old, so you have no idea what they're even saying.
      English I always read NKJV.