Finding Jesus in the Old Testament

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
In John 5 and Luke 24 we hear Jesus saying that the scripture points to him, though the people did not see it. Even his followers did not see it and it took him teaching them on the road to Emmaus for them to get it.
It seems we still struggle to see Jesus in the Old Testament. This is a place for you to share a passage where Jesus is found in the Old Testament.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Since it's nearly Christmas, I share this familiar passage.
Isaiah 9:1-7
[1]Nevertheless, that time of darkness and despair will not go on forever. The land of Zebulun and Naphtali will be humbled, but there will be a time in the future when Galilee of the Gentiles, which lies along the road that runs between the Jordan and the sea, will be filled with glory.
[2]The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine.
[3]You will enlarge the nation of Israel, and its people will rejoice. They will rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest and like warriors dividing the plunder.
[4]For you will break the yoke of their slavery and lift the heavy burden from their shoulders. You will break the oppressor’s rod, just as you did when you destroyed the army of Midian.
[5]The boots of the warrior and the uniforms bloodstained by war will all be burned. They will be fuel for the fire.
[6]For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
[7]His government and its peace will never end. He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of his ancestor David for all eternity. The passionate commitment of the lord of Heaven’s Armies will make this happen!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It starts in Genesis and continues all through

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
In Habakkuk 3:13 we read literally from the original Hebrew: Thou wentest forth with the YESHA [variant of ESHUA-Jesus] of [or for] thy people; with YESHUA thy MESSIAH [thine Anointed One: i.e., with Jesus thy Anointed] thou woundest the head of the house of the wicked one [Satan].

http://www.menorah.org/yeshname.html

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Genesis 3:15 NIV And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”

The offspring (Hebrew singular) of the woman is Jesus, who was struck (wounded) by the 'serpent' (Satan) and crushed his head (all power and authority).
Jesus had a human mother, but no human father. All just like GOD said it would be back in the garden of Eden.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
In Habakkuk 3:13 we read literally from the original Hebrew: Thou wentest forth with the YESHA [variant of ESHUA-Jesus] of [or for] thy people; with YESHUA thy MESSIAH [thine Anointed One: i.e., with Jesus thy Anointed] thou woundest the head of the house of the wicked one [Satan].

http://www.menorah.org/yeshname.html
Habakkuk 3:8-18
[8]Was it in anger, lord, that you struck the rivers and parted the sea? Were you displeased with them? No, you were sending your chariots of salvation!
[9]You brandished your bow and your quiver of arrows. You split open the earth with flowing rivers.
[10]The mountains watched and trembled. Onward swept the raging waters. The mighty deep cried out, lifting its hands in submission.
[11]The sun and moon stood still in the sky as your brilliant arrows flew and your glittering spear flashed.
[12]You marched across the land in anger and trampled the nations in your fury.
[13]You went out to rescue your chosen people, to save your anointed ones. You crushed the heads of the wicked and stripped their bones from head to toe.
[14]With his own weapons, you destroyed the chief of those who rushed out like a whirlwind, thinking Israel would be easy prey.
[15]You trampled the sea with your horses, and the mighty waters piled high.
[16]I trembled inside when I heard this; my lips quivered with fear. My legs gave way beneath me, and I shook in terror. I will wait quietly for the coming day when disaster will strike the people who invade us.
[17]Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty,
[18]yet I will rejoice in the lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My brother is very good at showing me "types and shadows" all throughout the OT, I will try to get back with some verses he has if I can reach him this week.
Its good to note that in the OT when they prophesied the Messiah they knew nothing about the cross or roman crucifixion at all. Yet every detail from the messiah riding on the donkey, being betrayed and rejected and "dying" is in full favor of the NT.
I can only think up psalms and Isaiah right now but my brother has showed me some things from the OT that absolutely blew my mind and I hope to share them soon.

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
Psalm 22:1

For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Psalm 22:16

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus is symbolized throughout the Old Testament in a variety of ways. The whole Bible really is about him. The Passover lamb is a symbol of what Jesus would do perfectly for us on the cross. 1 Corinthians 5:7 tells us that.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Job 19:25-27
[25]“But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last.
[26]And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God!
[27]I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes. I am overwhelmed at the thought!

https://youtu.be/XRW-jr_PnbQ

Last edited:

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
In John 5 and Luke 24 we hear Jesus saying that the scripture points to him, though the people did not see it. Even his followers did not see it and it took him teaching them on the road to Emmaus for them to get it.
It seems we still struggle to see Jesus in the Old Testament. This is a place for you to share a passage where Jesus is found in the Old Testament.

One of my favorites is from Moses.

“Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distill as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass.
3 Because I will proclaim the name of the Lord, ascribe ye greatness unto our God.
4 “He is the Rock, His work is perfect; for all His ways are judgment, a God of truth and without iniquity; just and right is He.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 32:1-47
[1]“Listen, O heavens, and I will speak! Hear, O earth, the words that I say!
[2]Let my teaching fall on you like rain; let my speech settle like dew. Let my words fall like rain on tender grass, like gentle showers on young plants.
[3]I will proclaim the name of the lord; how glorious is our God!
[4]He is the Rock; his deeds are perfect. Everything he does is just and fair. He is a faithful God who does no wrong; how just and upright he is!
[5]“But they have acted corruptly toward him; when they act so perversely, are they really his children? They are a deceitful and twisted generation.
[6]Is this the way you repay the lord, you foolish and senseless people? Isn’t he your Father who created you? Has he not made you and established you?
[7]Remember the days of long ago; think about the generations past. Ask your father, and he will inform you. Inquire of your elders, and they will tell you.
[8]When the Most High assigned lands to the nations, when he divided up the human race, he established the boundaries of the peoples according to the number in his heavenly court.
[9]“For the people of Israel belong to the lord; Jacob is his special possession.
[10]He found them in a desert land, in an empty, howling wasteland. He surrounded them and watched over them; he guarded them as he would guard his own eyes.
[11]Like an eagle that rouses her chicks and hovers over her young, so he spread his wings to take them up and carried them safely on his pinions.
[12]The lord alone guided them; they followed no foreign gods.
[13]He let them ride over the highlands and feast on the crops of the fields. He nourished them with honey from the rock and olive oil from the stony ground.
[14]He fed them yogurt from the herd and milk from the flock, together with the fat of lambs. He gave them choice rams from Bashan, and goats, together with the choicest wheat. You drank the finest wine, made from the juice of grapes.
[15]“But Israel soon became fat and unruly; the people grew heavy, plump, and stuffed! Then they abandoned the God who had made them; they made light of the Rock of their salvation.
[16]They stirred up his jealousy by worshiping foreign gods; they provoked his fury with detestable deeds.
[17]They offered sacrifices to demons, which are not God, to gods they had not known before, to new gods only recently arrived, to gods their ancestors had never feared.
[18]You neglected the Rock who had fathered you; you forgot the God who had given you birth.
[19]“The lord saw this and drew back, provoked to anger by his own sons and daughters.
[20]He said, ‘I will abandon them; then see what becomes of them. For they are a twisted generation, children without integrity.
[21]They have roused my jealousy by worshiping things that are not God; they have provoked my anger with their useless idols. Now I will rouse their jealousy through people who are not even a people; I will provoke their anger through the foolish Gentiles.
[22]For my anger blazes forth like fire and burns to the depths of the grave. It devours the earth and all its crops and ignites the foundations of the mountains.
[23]I will heap disasters upon them and shoot them down with my arrows.
[24]I will weaken them with famine, burning fever, and deadly disease. I will send the fangs of wild beasts and poisonous snakes that glide in the dust.
[25]Outside, the sword will bring death, and inside, terror will strike both young men and young women, both infants and the aged.
[26]I would have annihilated them, wiping out even the memory of them.
[27]But I feared the taunt of Israel’s enemy, who might misunderstand and say, “Our own power has triumphed! The lord had nothing to do with this!”’
[28]“But Israel is a senseless nation; the people are foolish, without understanding.
[29]Oh, that they were wise and could understand this! Oh, that they might know their fate!
[30]How could one person chase a thousand of them, and two people put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the lord had given them up?
[31]But the rock of our enemies is not like our Rock, as even they recognize.
[32]Their vine grows from the vine of Sodom, from the vineyards of Gomorrah. Their grapes are poison, and their clusters are bitter.
[33]Their wine is the venom of serpents, the deadly poison of cobras.
[34]“The lord says, ‘Am I not storing up these things, sealing them away in my treasury?
[35]I will take revenge; I will pay them back. In due time their feet will slip. Their day of disaster will arrive, and their destiny will overtake them.’
[36]“Indeed, the lord will give justice to his people, and he will change his mind about his servants, when he sees their strength is gone and no one is left, slave or free.
[37]Then he will ask, ‘Where are their gods, the rocks they fled to for refuge?
[38]Where now are those gods, who ate the fat of their sacrifices and drank the wine of their offerings? Let those gods arise and help you! Let them provide you with shelter!
[39]Look now; I myself am he! There is no other god but me! I am the one who kills and gives life; I am the one who wounds and heals; no one can be rescued from my powerful hand!
[40]Now I raise my hand to heaven and declare, “As surely as I live,
[41]when I sharpen my flashing sword and begin to carry out justice, I will take revenge on my enemies and repay those who reject me.
[42]I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword will devour flesh— the blood of the slaughtered and the captives, and the heads of the enemy leaders.”’
[43]“Rejoice with him, you heavens, and let all of God’s angels worship him. Rejoice with his people, you Gentiles, and let all the angels be strengthened in him. For he will avenge the blood of his children; he will take revenge against his enemies. He will repay those who hate him and cleanse his people’s land.”
[44]So Moses came with Joshua son of Nun and recited all the words of this song to the people.
[45]When Moses had finished reciting all these words to the people of Israel,
[46]he added: “Take to heart all the words of warning I have given you today. Pass them on as a command to your children so they will obey every word of these instructions.
[47]These instructions are not empty words—they are your life! By obeying them you will enjoy a long life in the land you will occupy when you cross the Jordan River.”

Top Bottom