MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Look for a Lutheran church :D

What I have found is that non-liturgical churches see the service as being only what they do to "worship" God. Liturgical churches view it differently in that it's not just about us worshiping but us being fed by God. It's His service to us. Just as God tells us that we should be servants to our neighbors, He is that greatest example by serving us, His children.
I'd go, but only if I can participate in communion without having to be a member of the denomination. God's chosen children are not bound up in one denomination.
Plus, around here there are some flaming liberal Lutheran churches that preach a social gospel while denying the deity of Christ. It's sad and Luther would be mortified.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I'd go, but only if I can participate in communion without having to be a member of the denomination. God's chosen children are not bound up in one denomination.
Plus, around here there are some flaming liberal Lutheran churches that preach a social gospel while denying the deity of Christ. It's sad and Luther would be mortified.

Then those are the ones that would welcome you to the Communion rail!

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Then those are the ones that would welcome you to the Communion rail!
Wait, what!? You have to go up to the bar to have communion at a Lutheran Church? No wonder Lutherans drink so much. [emoji41]

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You can always find some other church, lets say... Catholic? Oh wait, no MC? smh... he would always open his church out to the needy. :(
My church canceled thanksgiving/ Wednesdays service because too many people would be absent but the few that attend all have keys to enter in anyways lol

Around Christmas however it should be an exception (not to cancel for a minute holiday other than Christmas!) but for Christmas a church should be holding services, several even... but like I said, take the moment as a means to visit another church in Christ in celebration, even for one day :)

There are four services planned during Christmas weekend. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday. They asked us to RSVP so they would know how many are coming. I RSVP'd and now I forgot which service I said I was going to. You don't have to have a ticket or anything to get in they are just trying to get a head count of who is coming.
To be honest, a lot of times I just watch online. two of the Sunday services are live online. they have three services every weekend for a total of about 4,500 people at all three sites and online. I get to know people by attending a small group weekdays. WE were meeting on MOnday but they are switching that to Wednesday now

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
There are four services planned during Christmas weekend. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday. They asked us to RSVP so they would know how many are coming. I RSVP'd and now I forgot which service I said I was going to. You don't have to have a ticket or anything to get in they are just trying to get a head count of who is coming.
To be honest, a lot of times I just watch online. two of the Sunday services are live online. they have three services every weekend for a total of about 4,500 people at all three sites and online. I get to know people by attending a small group weekdays. WE were meeting on MOnday but they are switching that to Wednesday now
You attending one of those Calvary Chapels or something akin? I attended Willow Creek in Schaumburg for a few months back in the early 90s. It was slick, but ultimately void of any depth and fellowship. They had people controlling traffic for parking and exiting. Not really my thing.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

4 services. My goodness. No wonder they want a break. Watch an old service that weekend.

Last edited:

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
You attending one of those Calvary Chapels or something akin? I attended Willow Creek in Schaumburg for a few months back in the early 90s. It was slick, but ultimately void of any depth and fellowship. They had people controlling traffic for parking and exiting. Not really my thing.

LOL. Pastors wife parking only.
They had that in Canada.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
To be honest, a lot of times I just watch online. two of the Sunday services are live online. they have three services every weekend for a total of about 4,500 people at all three sites and online.

Given that this is not a small congregation, the last possible justification for cancelling next Sunday's services just went phffft.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It is tailored for a younger generation, but it isn't called Calvary Chapel. They do have people standing out in the parking lot, but I usually ignore them and park where I want. There is also a cop at the entrance to help control traffic in and out, which is nice because otherwise it would take forever to get out of the parking lot. The music is modern. The thing is, that I jumped around a lot to different churches before I started going to this one. I have found that most churches the sermons are weak. I study and read a lot on my own, so I am not depending on the pastor for all of my spiritual nourishment. I also don't want to give up on the church just because I disagree that they shouldn't cancel services the New Years weekend. Though I am not happy about it at all.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It is tailored for a younger generation, but it isn't called Calvary Chapel. They do have people standing out in the parking lot, but I usually ignore them and park where I want. There is also a cop at the entrance to help control traffic in and out, which is nice because otherwise it would take forever to get out of the parking lot. The music is modern. The thing is, that I jumped around a lot to different churches before I started going to this one. I have found that most churches the sermons are weak. I study and read a lot on my own, so I am not depending on the pastor for all of my spiritual nourishment. I also don't want to give up on the church just because I disagree that they shouldn't cancel services the New Years weekend. Though I am not happy about it at all.
We do what we believe God desires us to do. I hope you are a light in the church and an encouragement to others. Enjoy fellowship wherever it may be.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My pastor answered my email and said that canceling the last Sunday services of the year has been a tradition of the church for the last decade as a way of thanking the hundreds of volunteers who help serve throughout the year and to give them time with their families.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
-

Last edited:

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
My pastor answered my email and said that canceling the last Sunday services of the year has been a tradition of the church for the last decade as a way of thanking the hundreds of volunteers who help serve throughout the year and to give them time with their families.

What if a new person comes? Our church got cancelled 2 weeks ago because ppl called they weren't coming because of the snow. Then she came for nothing. Noone expected her. Ex prayed he'd get a second chance. Today she gave her heart to the Lord. He said: even if you cancel a service you always have to be there.
Best Christmas service ever. Every year we have a food party. This year noone showed up from the group, no fancy food, but a girl got saved.

Last edited:

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Well, Praise the Lord and Merry Christmas!
That IS the party! :cheer: :party2: Praying for the new girl to know she's OSAS. :happybirthday2:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

So if it's always done that way then it's not really a canceled service but a day that they don't have services it sounds more like. They should just put that on the we page ;)

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
A service cancelled out is bad enough ...
Being a person cancelled out hurts like nothing else.
New Years Eve?
It's Christmas Eve right now, and I'm alone.
No wife, no kids, no girlfriend.
I believe in Jesus, but christianity I don't understand at all.

https://youtu.be/wSFB2ytWJLQ

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I know it is no consolation for family but you are never truly alone as Jesus is always with you. Talk to Him as you would any friend, He will be with you and if you let Him He will be a comforter, give you peace and give you joy

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, I was thinking about what about people who don't have a family and the church is their family?

I went to the morning service at 10 am and nobody was there. They must have canceled that also and not updated the web page. So, I went to another church that was having services. I don't think I need to be going to a church that cancels services. I think I will move on to the church i visited today.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you do leave that church be sure to let them know (eventually) why. Pastors often see people leaving and don't know the reason or maybe don't understand the reason.
[MENTION=333]Snerfle[/MENTION], you have friends :) I know it's not exactly the same but you aren't completely alone when you're online!

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you do leave that church be sure to let them know (eventually) why. Pastors often see people leaving and don't know the reason or maybe don't understand the reason.
[MENTION=333]Snerfle[/MENTION], you have friends :) I know it's not exactly the same but you aren't completely alone when you're online!

I did send him and my group leader a email to let them know I don't plan on coming back. If worship isn't a priority then I don't want to be there

Top Bottom