• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Denomination & Faith Movement Discussions - Thread: canceling New Years services

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.5%

canceling New Years services

The weekend of New Years the church I attend decided to cancel Sunday services for that weekend. When I asked why they said they wanted to give the hundreds of volunteers who help out a break to spend time with their families. I think this is a horrible decision and has upset me. I wonder what you all thoughts are?

IACOBVS is offline Junior Member
      Mood:
      Sad

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.58%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      The weekend of New Years the church I attend decided to cancel Sunday services for that weekend. When I asked why they said they wanted to give the hundreds of volunteers who help out a break to spend time with their families. I think this is a horrible decision and has upset me. I wonder what you all thoughts are?
      I don't know, especially if there wasn't going to be a Eucharist. Just about everything else that one does in church can generally be done licitly alone or with a few friends. I wouldn't fret too much over it. Some things aren't worth the stress.

MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.62%
      Did they provide alternative small group gatherings in houses or did they leave it completely empty?
      I would not be thrilled with that decision if there were no alternatives.
      I once attended a service where the pastor and my family made it due to a blizzard (we were close to the church). There was never a Sunday the church wasn't open for worship.
      Yeah, I'd be bummed. Perhaps you can offer to preach and the congregation can sing acapella. (Old Mennonite still worship with no instruments but their voices. Melody and harmony. It's very beautiful.)

4. Likes IACOBVS liked this post
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.5%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      Did they provide alternative small group gatherings in houses or did they leave it completely empty?
      I would not be thrilled with that decision if there were no alternatives.
      I once attended a service where the pastor and my family made it due to a blizzard (we were close to the church). There was never a Sunday the church wasn't open for worship.
      Yeah, I'd be bummed. Perhaps you can offer to preach and the congregation can sing acapella. (Old Mennonite still worship with no instruments but their voices. Melody and harmony. It's very beautiful.)
      The church doesn't have a traditional Sunday School hour, but has small groups that meet during the week. The thing is, that the small groups all discuss the pastor's sermon and if there is no sermon then they probably won't meet either. The group I attend isn't meeting again until January 10. I was just planning on picking another church near me and going as a visitor that weekend

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      98.48%
      I side with JSimms on this one. For any church to cancel worship on the Lord's Day in the absence of an emergency is, well, shocking. That's the #1 function of the church.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (6,074,338 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      43.86%
      I typically wouldn't be thrilled at a service being cancelled just because, although a lot would depend on the exact nature of the church.

One church I attended for a time only had four musicians, who worked together as a kinda-sorta-band, and if they wanted a day off playing there was little else to use so the church played either Youtube videos or some drivel from IHOP for an hour. If a church has plenty of people to call on it's less likely that such a thing will happen.

At this time of year it seems a shame to cancel services but when Sunday falls on a day that people are likely to be away with their families and the church is likely to be too short-staffed to function effectively it doesn't seem like such a big issue to accept people aren't there. It certainly beats cancelling services over Christmas.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.5%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      I typically wouldn't be thrilled at a service being cancelled just because, although a lot would depend on the exact nature of the church.

One church I attended for a time only had four musicians, who worked together as a kinda-sorta-band, and if they wanted a day off playing there was little else to use so the church played either Youtube videos or some drivel from IHOP for an hour. If a church has plenty of people to call on it's less likely that such a thing will happen.

At this time of year it seems a shame to cancel services but when Sunday falls on a day that people are likely to be away with their families and the church is likely to be too short-staffed to function effectively it doesn't seem like such a big issue to accept people aren't there. It certainly beats cancelling services over Christmas.
      When I was preaching on Sundays I would preach whether I was sick or well. I remember one lady going to get a glass of water and gave it to me while I was speaking she could tell I was not feeling well. We didn't have but about 50 attenders and there wasn't anyone else who could speak on short notice. So, you do what you have to do.

9. Likes Tigger liked this post
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.62%
      Perhaps the thing that strikes me about the decision is just how worldly it is.
      Somehow there has entered an idea that the church serves as an entertainment center and thus the paid entertainers need a week off. How does that mentality enter a church? How do the shepherds of the flock get to that position of thinking they are merely entertainers who need a break? How do the sheep get to such a condition where they just shrug and move on?
      Somewhere this leads to a much bigger issue that requires the body to understand what is the function of church? What biblical lessons can be culled from scripture in order to understand what meeting together means and what Christ expects?
      I might ask the shepherds to consider this in light of the decision that is being made.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (6,074,338 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      43.86%
      When I was preaching on Sundays I would preach whether I was sick or well. I remember one lady going to get a glass of water and gave it to me while I was speaking she could tell I was not feeling well. We didn't have but about 50 attenders and there wasn't anyone else who could speak on short notice. So, you do what you have to do.
      You do what you believe needs to be done, but at the same time others will do what they believe needs to be done. If enough people are planning to be away that there isn't a large enough group of staff on hand to make a service work there isn't a whole lot of option. Truth be told I think if my church started stipulating that I wasn't allowed to spend time with family over the holidays because of church I'd be finding another church.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Tigger is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Piratey

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      80.72%
      After reading the title to this thread I checked our service schedule and there are four services on Christmas eve 5pm, 7pm, 9pm & 11pm. And two services on Christmas day 8am & 10am. Normally there are three services on a normal Sunday morning. I’ve always thought that four services on Christmas eve was a lot but we’ve only ever attended the 7pm service which is packed full even after extra chairs are set up in the sanctuary.