Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I Thessalonians 4:16-18 says
16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Here is a picture of what many call the rapture. In it you see the "dead in Christ" rising first. Does this mean as some seventh day adventist teach that the soul is asleep until Christ returns? Is the soul with Jesus and the dead body simply resurrect at this time?

I've also heard some people say that we go somewhere that is a temporary location called Paradise as Jesus did when he died on the cross and that Paradise is different than heaven. What do you think happens to the soul when we die? Do we go immediately to Jesus and heaven? If so, why would the dead in Christ rise first mean much?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here is a picture of what many call the rapture. In it you see the "dead in Christ" rising first. Does this mean as some seventh day adventist teach that the soul is asleep until Christ returns? Is the soul with Jesus and the dead body simply resurrect at this time?
The latter view is what almost all Christian denominations teach. The SDA view, called "soul sleep" has been considered heretical or cultic.

I've also heard some people say that we go somewhere that is a temporary location called Paradise as Jesus did when he died on the cross and that Paradise is different than heaven.
It does appear that this is the case. Paradise is not supposed to be confused with Heaven, but it's all a bit beyond me, and I think we do well just to trust the Lord for our salvation and let what will be, be.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The latter view is what almost all Christian denominations teach. The SDA view, called "soul sleep" has been considered heretical or cultic.

It does appear that this is the case. Paradise is not supposed to be confused with Heaven, but it's all a bit beyond me, and I think we do well just to trust the Lord for our salvation and let what will be, be.

why would it be considered heretical?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

IACOBVS