Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
My wife and I are expecting a son in February and have begun that discussion of .... circumcision.

The issue isn't religious (http://www.biblemeanings.info/Words/Body/Circumcision.htm) since neither of us give it any religious or theological significance; we both view that this is neither required or forbidden but is purely a matter of "adiaphora" and with no religious significance (thus this thread is in the health forum).

And we both recognize this is a HIGHLY cultural issue, much more common in some places (like the USA) than in others. In some places, it's almost automatic and in others almost unthinkable. Cultural.

And that the health benefits are debatable.

I'm in favor. Perhaps just for "like father, like son." But it's absolutely no big deal to me.

My wife leans against. She's concerned about the pain issue and raised the "mutilation" issue. But it's not a passionate issue with her, either.

There are lots of web sites (mostly against) that are amazingly passionate.

WE will agree on this..... together......

What is your feeling on the matter?
I don't mean this to be advise to us (it's our decision to make) but just YOUR view in this regard.....

- Josiah

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have no comment on this...but hey, do you want me to make this a poll so you can show your wife the results? LOL I'm really kidding!

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
'Like father like son' may have been a little bit TMI, brother, but I'd say do it for a number of reasons, plus, yes, you might avoid some awkward questions in a few years if he 'notices a diff' between you two.

One piece of advice...try to find a better surgeon than the 'moyle' (?) in Seinfeld, lol! :scared: :pray:
(Just a tip) :popworm: :wink:

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My wife who is originally from Colombia, wouldn't think of having her three boys circumcised, even though she had them here in the U.S. due to her cultural norm. She just mentions that you have to teach them proper hygiene for that area and there isn't usually any problems throughout their lives.

Now my daughter and her husband just had their first baby and wanted him circumcised at the hospital before leaving but the baby had jaundice and the hospital wouldn't perform the procedure until the baby had a clean bill of health. So they ended up having the procedure done two weeks later, the day before we flew up to see the new tike and he was a bit sore and red around the area but he came through fine.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In the UK it's not done as a matter of course. Some parents might have it done for their own reasons (the Jews being an obvious example) but it's not expected that boys will be cut.

Maybe there is a case to be made that, in an area where it is routinely done, your son might be the "odd one out" in the showers when he is older. Whether that is a potential concern or not is something only you can decide.

Personally I don't see much point in having it done, unless for specific health or religious reasons. But that's just me.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I had my son circumcised before leaving the hospital (like father, like son). He cried for 20 minutes and it was a little tender for a few days, but we faced the wrath of almost every new mother on the mat ward, not to mention all the nurses. My son is no worse for the wear.

My son's father and I had friends at the time who had not circumcised either of their boys, and both of them had chronic yeast infections. It was not from poor hygiene; they were meticulous about cleanliness - the whole family. Anyway, due to the chronic infections, the boys had to be circumcised at age 6 and 8. Those boys suffered terribly for weeks.

Personally, I think it's cleaner. Just preference, though.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
If I had a son I would absolutely make sure to get him circumcised.

I don't see this as a necessarily Jewish thing, as the practice and the significance predates Judaism. Anyway, religious reasons are related and you've already stated those aren't a consideration for you.

As for the physical, I think much ado is made of it that amounts to mostly hot air. I'm circumcised, and I certainly don't remember having it done nor consider it some major traumatic event that so many people seem to make it out to be.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No way I'd let my ex do that to my sons. Glad he's Dutch. They only do that here in rare cases for medical reasons or if they're Jewish of course.
My ex once wanted to have my sons throat things cut. I saw one pic on internet. Nope. That was the first time I stood up against him. You're not gonna mutalize my kid. Doctors gave me a few months. They needed my signature. They thought it was necessary. I just prayed and it wasn't anymore.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
All I can say is good luck with that. :)

Top Bottom