First President a Lutheran?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
" Forcing," indeed. The spread of Lutheranism was remarkably successful in the face of Catholic opposition and if a couple of kings and dukes saw that the teachings of the Confessions were advantageous to their populations, so much the better. John the Steadfast, King Carl Gustavus of Sweden ( the " Lion of the North") and other heroes of the faith suffered greatly and ( as in the case of Carl Gustavus) sacrificed their lives on the battlefield for the sake of true, Confessional Lutheran Christianity.
The kings and princes saw a political advantage in siding with Luther. No freedom was ever extended to their subjects in regard to personal faith.
Not until the formation of the United States do you find clear, documented, separation of church and state. Even in the US it took a strong Baptist presence to push it forward by insisting on the Bill of Rights before the Constitution would/could be ratified. Before that, religious oppression was a norm.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The kings and princes saw a political advantage in siding with Luther. No freedom was ever extended to their subjects in regard to personal faith.
Not until the formation of the United States do you find clear, documented, separation of church and state. Even in the US it took a strong Baptist presence to push it forward by insisting on the Bill of Rights before the Constitution would/could be ratified. Before that, religious oppression was a norm.

Thats because of the good Dutch tolerant influence on the pilgrims who first fled to Leiden.
Obama is a far nephew from Bush btw.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Makes me think of the Endtimes one world religion scenario prophesied about, though its funny, sometimes it seems almost fully in play already, and other times it seems so far out as to be impossible that millions or billions would all go for it.
Not to go off topic, but maybe thats why a pre-trib rapture HAS to be the right view?

ja
and dont go so off topic snerfs

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Thats because of the good Dutch tolerant influence on the pilgrims who first fled to Leiden.
Obama is a far nephew from Bush btw.
All aristocracy is related...[emoji6]

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
" Forcing," indeed. The spread of Lutheranism was remarkably successful in the face of Catholic opposition and if a couple of kings and dukes saw that the teachings of the Confessions were advantageous to their populations, so much the better. John the Steadfast, King Carl Gustavus of Sweden ( the " Lion of the North") and other heroes of the faith suffered greatly and ( as in the case of Carl Gustavus) sacrificed their lives on the battlefield for the sake of true, Confessional Lutheran Christianity.

Anyway, if the topic is supposed to be about John Hanson, here's a link to the career of the man http://www.thefullwiki.org/John_Hanson. This link offers the view that Hanson's family was English rather than Swedish, but whatever.

English rather than Swedish? It makes sense because isn't Hanson more of an English name anyway?

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
English rather than Swedish? It makes sense because isn't Hanson more of an English name anyway?

I think Hanson might be like Nelson, sort of an " either- or" deal. With the Viking raids on England during the late Middle Ages, it shouldn't perhaps be such a surprise that one can find such names on both sides of the North Sea.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
So did I. :) I also made it a point to go beyond what they were teaching in history class and learned little things like the leadership of John Hanson and the fact that when the Revolution started, it was largely a scheme of the upper class to keep their wealth and they used excellent propaganda to keep the rank and file in line. My social studies were decent, but a lot of it centered around Virginia's history.

Yup. All Canadians know that the US War of Independence was fought under false pretenses. Hence, we stayed out of it and loyal to His Majesty the King.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Unfortunately, my father's maternal side is the side of the family that I happen to know the least about. I know that Granny and Granddad Gooding were both raised as Methodists, but that's it. My father's paternal side, I know a little more about. In fact, the New Jerusalem Lutheran Church in Lovettsville was where my 3X great grandmother, Frances Steinbrenner, was christened and raised. Unfortunately, that particular church today is run by the ELCA.

Ah, the ELCA ... the wonderful sister church to the ELCIC which I attend. God bless it and its stance against fundamentalist oppression.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There has only been one Vice President who was Lutheran and that was Hubert Humphrey. He was Lutheran but attended a Methodist church since there was no nearby Lutheran one.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
There has only been one Vice President who was Lutheran and that was Hubert Humphrey. He was Lutheran but attended a Methodist church since there was no nearby Lutheran one.

It begins to make sense why CFW Walther warned constantly in his work Law and Gospel against the pietistic influences of the Methodists. Apparently, by sheer numbers alone, the Lutherans were in danger of being swamped.

Top Bottom