Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I think the point is something along the lines of "Lutheranism kicks butt, because American presidents kick butt, and the first one especially kicks butt, but you didn't know it or realize it because you do not know the glory and honor of what it is to be a Lutheran"

Not at all, not in the least. Just a little-known curosity of American history.

Odd some would try to turn this into some debate (and not about whether Hanson should be regarded as America's first president... or even whether he was Lutheran.... and thus having NOTHING to do with the thread).

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Not at all, not in the least. Just a little-known curosity of American history.

Odd some would try to turn this into some debate (and not about whether Hanson should be regarded as America's first president... or even whether he was Lutheran.... and thus having NOTHING to do with the thread).

I'm not turning it into a debate. I'm having fun and being amused at what I see as unspoken and unacknowledged undercurrents of certain members dealing with the sometimes difficult positions of others who share the same faith but differ in various areas (denominational differences getting heated elsewhere).

This is not one of those "difficult positions" - this thread I mean. But don't lie and think you can't be seen for certain things. Would you have started such a thread if you were a super proud Anglican who escaped the clutches of a misguided Lutheran faith? I think not, sir. lol

Now, carry on. And God bless, and only bless, the USA :p

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of course Josiah's a Lutheran and may have noted the history involved when others might not have, but the post itself still presented the information as a potentially interesting bit of trivia, nothing more.

It's wrong to pull out either the conspiracy or the "lie" cards on this one.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Of course Josiah's a Lutheran, but the post itself still presented the information as a potentially interesting bit of trivia, nothing more.

It's wrong to pull out either the conspiracy or the "lie" cards on this one.

I know the members here much better than you. And le *sigh*....I will withdraw the word "lie" if the wrath of unrelenting accusers (for whatever motive) can be abated.

Now, yankee boy. Please ignore me and fight for the subject of the thread. :)

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know the members here much better than you.
Could be, but you don't know Josiah better than I do.

Anyway, when commenting on anyone's post, I always am guided by what is actually written. That was the case with the OP in this thread, too. It seems a fairer way.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Anyway, when commenting on anyone's post, I always am guided by what is actually written. That was the case with the OP in this thread, too. It seems a fairer way.

That sounds noble. And kind. And even fair.

My comment on motive wasn't even brought up in the OP, so it's outside the scope of "what was written".

Lest frustrated Lutherans get increasingly annoyed that we are straying off subject, I suggest you give me the last word. Because I'm right and I'm going to have it tonight, mate. LOL

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This thread is meant to discuss John Hanson. Very well. Here are some links regarding the man and his life for those who are interested.
http://www.marshallhall.org/hanson.html

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-hanson-so-called-first-president-dies

http://www.johnhanson.org/

http://www.johnhanson.net/

In point of fact, John Hanson was apparently the third person to serve in the executive office of the United States in Congress Assembled ( USCA). He was a Lutheran and his family was instrumental in the founding of New Sweden. If we want a serious discussion, let's have a serious discussion ( including the many myths that have arisen in the last 241 years about the various Founding Fathers).

You have really done your research! Great job :) I appreciate the attempt to get the thread back on track.

I like the information from the first thread that has this:

Six other presidents were elected after him - Elias Boudinot (1783), Thomas Mifflin (1784), Richard Henry Lee (1785), Nathan Gorman (1786), Arthur St. Clair (1787), and Cyrus Griffin (1788) - all prior to Washington taking office. Why don't we ever hear about the first seven Presidents of the United States? It's quite simple - The Articles of Confederation didn't work well. The individual states had too much power and nothing could be agreed upon. A new doctrine needed to be written - something we know as the Constitution.

George Washington was definitely not the first President of the United States. He was the first President of the United States under the Constitution we follow today. And the first seven Presidents are forgotten in history.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Who cares? The 8th was a Dutch guy. Now thats highly important.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

English was also his second language. He was Dutch Reformed...was that the only Church at the time there? Not here. Sorry for the confusion.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It's a little known fact that John Hanson was the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence, but the better known Hancock took the pen away before "son" could be written onto Hanson's last name. People who study cursive writing note that there were definitely two different hands writing in the word Hancock. It should be noted that Hancock was a Deist who detested Luther. (Should this be here or in the little white lies thread? [emoji23])

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John Hanson was Swedish and even though he wasn't a German Lutheran, there are a lot of Scandinavian Lutherans!

There was also a postal card and stamp to commemorate him!

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I think my point has been proven. Like "Luther's birthday" and "I just read this confession by Luther and/or book on Lutheranism" this thread is just another "isn't Lutheranism great" thread.

Btw, Deists created the USA. How many threads have I started on this subject? 0.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
John Hanson was Swedish and even though he wasn't a German Lutheran, there are a lot of Scandinavian Lutherans!

There was also a postal card and stamp to commemorate him!

It is rather amazing at how successful Lutheranism was in Northern Europe, from Scandinavia to Germany to Finland and the Baltic states. In point of trivia, John Hanson died in the same town my grandmother, Elna Thorne Gooding, was born in: Oxon Hill, Maryland! Here's a link to the man's biography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is rather amazing at how successful Lutheranism was in Northern Europe, from Scandinavia to Germany to Finland and the Baltic states. In point of trivia, John Hanson died in the same town my grandmother, Elna Thorne Gooding, was born in: Oxon Hill, Maryland! Here's a link to the man's biography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson.

Were any of your other relatives born in that town of Oxon Hill that might have been alive around the time of his death?

The problem with a lot of European Lutheranism is that it doesn't resemble Lutheran beliefs very much since it's state run. I was on a Yahoo Group many years ago where some Lutherans were encouraging Decision Theology and I pretty much told them Luther would roll over in his grave. They kicked me out of the group after I started showing them how their beliefs weren't Lutheran.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Were any of your other relatives born in that town of Oxon Hill that might have been alive around the time of his death?

The problem with a lot of European Lutheranism is that it doesn't resemble Lutheran beliefs very much since it's state run. I was on a Yahoo Group many years ago where some Lutherans were encouraging Decision Theology and I pretty much told them Luther would roll over in his grave. They kicked me out of the group after I started showing them how their beliefs weren't Lutheran.

Unfortunately, my father's maternal side is the side of the family that I happen to know the least about. I know that Granny and Granddad Gooding were both raised as Methodists, but that's it. My father's paternal side, I know a little more about. In fact, the New Jerusalem Lutheran Church in Lovettsville was where my 3X great grandmother, Frances Steinbrenner, was christened and raised. Unfortunately, that particular church today is run by the ELCA.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Forcing State religions upon a society can generate amazing success for that religious group. I hardly consider it amazing as much as I consider it power politics.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Forcing State religions upon a society can generate amazing success for that religious group. I hardly consider it amazing as much as I consider it power politics.

Makes me think of the Endtimes one world religion scenario prophesied about, though its funny, sometimes it seems almost fully in play already, and other times it seems so far out as to be impossible that millions or billions would all go for it.
Not to go off topic, but maybe thats why a pre-trib rapture HAS to be the right view?

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

" Forcing," indeed. The spread of Lutheranism was remarkably successful in the face of Catholic opposition and if a couple of kings and dukes saw that the teachings of the Confessions were advantageous to their populations, so much the better. John the Steadfast, King Carl Gustavus of Sweden ( the " Lion of the North") and other heroes of the faith suffered greatly and ( as in the case of Carl Gustavus) sacrificed their lives on the battlefield for the sake of true, Confessional Lutheran Christianity.

Anyway, if the topic is supposed to be about John Hanson, here's a link to the career of the man http://www.thefullwiki.org/John_Hanson. This link offers the view that Hanson's family was English rather than Swedish, but whatever.

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Makes me think of the Endtimes one world religion scenario prophesied about, though its funny, sometimes it seems almost fully in play already, and other times it seems so far out as to be impossible that millions or billions would all go for it.
Not to go off topic, but maybe thats why a pre-trib rapture HAS to be the right view?
You're way off topic. I won't answer end-time opinions here.

Top Bottom