Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

A lot of Americans falsely believe that our current Constitution and Government took effect on July 5, 1776. Not so..... It would be over 11 years before that would happen.

Yes, as we all learned in school, George Washington was the first President in our CURRENT government, under our CURRENT Constitution. And yes, he was an Anglican. But he took office 11 years after the USA began.

Many regard the first actual president of the USA to be John Hanson…that's right. And you've probably never heard of him. And he's not on any American currency. And his birthday has never been celebrated in our country. And school children have never heard of him.

Oh, and by the way, he was a Lutheran. Yeah, no president under our current constitution has ever been a Lutheran. But Lutherans can claim the first US President! Well, sort of.

Prior to the Constitution, which established our system of government, there was a document called the Articles of Confederation. Although a flawed document, it was the first official "constitution". As with any political document, it took some time to hammer out the details. In 1781, after 4 years of negotiating, the last state to holdout- Maryland- ratified the document. The signer, a Lutheran named John Hanson, was then asked to serve as the president of the now official congress.

Here’s where the controversy begins. Some claim this makes John Hanson -not George Washington- the first President of the United States. However, since the Articles of Confederation did not officially establish an executive branch, it might be said Hanson was more the first President of Congress rather than President of the USA (and even then he was more a secretary than a leader). In any case, he served his one year term competently but without much flair (although he's the one who designed the current seal of the president).

The United States has yet to see a Lutheran president. Hubert H. Humphrey, who served as Vice President under Lyndon Johnson from 1965-1970 and was the Democrat Nominee for president in 1968, is the closest a Lutheran has come to being president, but he of course lost to the second Quaker president: Richard Nixon.

- Josiah

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Many regard the first actual president of the USA to be John Hanson…that's right. And you've probably never heard of him.
If hardly anyone has heard of John Hanson (as you suggested), we can't very well say "Many regard (him to be the first president)" ;)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If hardly anyone has heard of John Hanson (as you suggested), we can't very well say "Many regard (him to be the first president)" ;)

I've heard of him :)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the Articles of Confederation gave the federal government about as much power as a kindergarten student in a high school classroom, I suppose Lutherans can pat themselves on the back. Well done you Lutherans! Huzzah!!! [emoji56]

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
what was your point?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As have I, but are we really unbiased sources? :cool:

I was taught about him in elementary social studies class and jr high history class. I don't think I'm biased because I went to public school :)

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was taught about him in elementary social studies class and jr high history class. I don't think I'm biased because I went to public school :)
The Catholics must of found out that it was being taught in public schools, had the funding pulled and the documentations erased from the text books! :birgits_giggle:

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
[size=+2]HUMOR ALERT
NO REPORTING ALLOWED[/size]
I've heard of him :)

As have I, but are we really unbiased sources? :cool:

Of COURSE you know him ... ALL Lutherans must know ALL OTHER Lutherans.
It's written in the By-Laws, Article 3 Section C under the Subtitle:

"We IS The Only REAL Presence Tense Christians''

The Catholics must of found out that it was being taught in public schools, had the funding pulled and the documentations erased from the text books! :birgits_giggle:
Too funny, Tigger :chairfall:
Glad I didnt say it, lol :bolt:

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

So did I. :) I also made it a point to go beyond what they were teaching in history class and learned little things like the leadership of John Hanson and the fact that when the Revolution started, it was largely a scheme of the upper class to keep their wealth and they used excellent propaganda to keep the rank and file in line. My social studies were decent, but a lot of it centered around Virginia's history.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
[size=+2]HUMOR ALERT

Ach, die Englischer hast caught on!

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
[size=+2]HUMOR ALERT

I'm pretty sure John Hanson is mentioned in the book of Concord...[emoji56]

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
I'm pretty sure John Hanson is mentioned in the book of Concord...[emoji56]
Mentioned?
Thought he was headlined.

Anyway, you nailed it...
→↓Here's proof ↓←

So did I. :) I also made it a point to go beyond what they were teaching in history class and learned little things like the leadership of John Hanson and the fact that when the Revolution started, it was largely a scheme of the upper class to keep their wealth and they used excellent propaganda to keep the rank and file in line. My social studies were decent, but a lot of it centered around Virginia's history.
:glasses: :union-jack:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And yet another serious thread gone down the tubes of ridiculousness.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
what was your point?

I think the point is something along the lines of "Lutheranism kicks butt, because American presidents kick butt, and the first one especially kicks butt, but you didn't know it or realize it because you do not know the glory and honor of what it is to be a Lutheran" :p

And yet another serious thread gone down the tubes of ridiculousness.

Admit it. If the premise was that first president was something other than a Lutheran you'd not be pouting. :p

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Admit it. If the premise was that first president was something other than a Lutheran you'd not be pouting. :p

No, and I've mentioned in a few other threads that you probably haven't read that recently so many are getting off topic and replies are ridiculous.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No, and I've mentioned in a few other threads that you probably haven't read that recently so many are getting off topic and replies are ridiculous.

There's nothing really that off topic that I can see, and your pouting because the premise of the thread is not being taken serious.

Because it's about Lutheranism. And people are treating it with levity. And that doesn't sit right with someone who thinks everyone should treat the subject with more seriousness.

Because it's about Lutheranism.

Admit it. :)

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
This thread is meant to discuss John Hanson. Very well. Here are some links regarding the man and his life for those who are interested.
http://www.marshallhall.org/hanson.html

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-hanson-so-called-first-president-dies

http://www.johnhanson.org/

http://www.johnhanson.net/

In point of fact, John Hanson was apparently the third person to serve in the executive office of the United States in Congress Assembled ( USCA). He was a Lutheran and his family was instrumental in the founding of New Sweden. If we want a serious discussion, let's have a serious discussion ( including the many myths that have arisen in the last 241 years about the various Founding Fathers).

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes