Don't know what to think.

ctayus

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I hadn't been feeling good, made it to church today. The pastors wife plays the piano and when she gets up to commune with the pastor, they put a video on. Well all of a sudden people start clapping and singing with the song during communion. I didn't like it. I don't know what to think.:yikes:[SUB][/SUB]

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Clapping as if it's a campfire song? :D

I think that would have been a major distraction during an important part of the church service. I definitely would have a private talk with the pastor and voice my concerns! WHY would they need to change the focus of the service?

ctayus

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It was a major distraction and it won't do any good talking to the pastor either. If you voice a concern he turns everything around on you.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Wondering if perhaps it is a good thing to enter into the worship. Perhaps it shows that these people were caught up and worshiping God.

ctayus

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Growing up in a Lutheran church, they are not known for doing that kind of thing.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know I would have been put off by that, especially during communion.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
While I agree that communion is a sacred thing without knowing what went on and actually being there to be able to discern what was in opeeration I cannot pass judgement on it

Hebrews 11

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
3] For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

[24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

[25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

[26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

[27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

[28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

[29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I hadn't been feeling good, made it to church today. The pastors wife plays the piano and when she gets up to commune with the pastor, they put a video on. Well all of a sudden people start clapping and singing with the song during communion. I didn't like it. I don't know what to think.:yikes:[SUB][/SUB]

I would think they were doing it the way they did in Mark 14. Once they had taken the bread and the wine, they sung a song.

Mark 14:22 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.

23 And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.

24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

26 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

charis en excelcis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Give them a chance. If, after five weeks, you are uncomfortable, go and tell the pastor that you are not the right fit for this band of believers. One flock, many bands. This is not a doctrinal issue, but a mini-cultural issue.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
i think ts amazing they sang along ..( yeah i know its not really my thing either in regard to communion) but i have observed that .. relying on the electronic world using visuals and videos etc .. usually
detracts and distracts from worship of the heart,, people go into a non participation state and become amused instead .. :amused -from the latin to anti -think .
i dont find it conducive to worship at all .

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM for short) recommends singing (without musical accompaniment) a psalm or a suitable communion hymn when the faithful rise and walk to the font to receive communion but we are silent when the words of consecration are spoken and when the altar servers, priest, acolytes, and extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist receive communion. It makes for a very sacred and holy time of prayer and contemplation of the Lord's precious blood and broken body given for us.

So singing is okay, and I suppose some may want to clap (now sure that I'd want to), bit watching a video during communion? I cannot say I would be happy with that.

Top Bottom