Using Profanity -- Please read

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think we need to be a little more careful when we say that certain words are profanity. Often, what is flagged as profanity on US-based websites is profanity only in the US, and to a lesser extent, in Canada. The noted "ass", for example is not profanity anywhere else in the English-speaking world, even when someone is being called one. It doesn't mean "buttocks" anywhere else. There is a slightly different word for that, which is used even here in Canada, and even then, it's not necessarily considered to be profanity. It depends on the context. Judgmental, US-centric rules aren't helpful on a website that is used by the international community. Puritan heritage is still much stronger in the US than what many might think.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Did he say that he was leaving?? After a career of bashing Protestants, his feelings were hurt when some of them stopped taking it from him, but I dont remember any sign-off statement.
A statement is not required but I saw his last post as "dusting off his feet"... also "career" is poor word use, we should love our enemies and not stoop to their level with exchanging insults if that is the case. Its insulting ones relationship with Christ and I think we all can learn from this example. I am guilty as well and I thought he would take it as kidding around, but it adds up you know

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I think we need to be a little more careful when we say that certain words are profanity. Often, what is flagged as profanity on US-based websites is profanity only in the US, and to a lesser extent, in Canada. The noted "ass", for example is not profanity anywhere else in the English-speaking world, even when someone is being called one. It doesn't mean "buttocks" anywhere else. There is a slightly different word for that, which is used even here in Canada, and even then, it's not necessarily considered to be profanity. It depends on the context. Judgmental, US-centric rules aren't helpful on a website that is used by the international community. Puritan heritage is still much stronger in the US than what many might think.
Profanity here is filtered automatically, but using asterisks to imply cuss words is abuse to why the system is there in the first place.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Profanity here is filtered automatically, but using asterisks to imply cuss words is abuse to why the system is there in the first place.

I cannot even explain it cause he asterikses everything away. My goodness even the urban dictionary says its a scared cat. Can i help it they get filthy ideas by that word. we just use the gross word for that filth and the other we yell over the street if the cat is lost.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Once on cchat i posted what i thought was a cute pic but they explained that it was utterly vulgar and gross in the US. They knew I had no idea so they laughed their socks off and I reported my own post if they could please remove it.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I cannot even explain it cause he asterikses everything away. My goodness even the urban dictionary says its a scared cat. Can i help it they get filthy ideas by that word. we just use the gross word for that filth and the other we yell over the street if the cat is lost.
lol

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
We all come back... did MC leave?
Anyway I had multiple PM that made me just want to leave but it gave me some time to reflect if what I was doing really was hurting the brethren, the forum reflects a bigger picture of where we are at in the Christian world today. So if it effects a few members here (and we are a few using the forum in general) just think about how it may offend many more.

I was given the impression that MC was going on a sabbatical. Maybe he'd be away for a short time, maybe a long time. I'd never heard him say anything about leaving and never returning.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

As Christians we wouldn't want to offend...so if we learn that a word is offensive to someone in another country we should want to not use that word. I won't use words that would offend you so please don't use words that offend me. Isn't that fair?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
As Christians we wouldn't want to offend...so if we learn that a word is offensive to someone in another country we should want to not use that word. I won't use words that would offend you so please don't use words that offend me. Isn't that fair?

Yes of course but you implied I did it on purpose. Now I wont use it anymore just like another word Snerf taught me.

Wife is a normal word in English. Weib in German, the woman you're married to. Holland: wijf is a nasty word to put a woman down.
Lol so we had this preacher from Switserland who tried to talk Dutch and talked in the preaching about his wijf who had a kop. German: kopf, head. Dutch: kop is for an animal or if you're really rude to someone. My brother had a good laugh. He told him afterwards.
If I look it up in the Dutch English translation book they give what I said as a normal and the only translation for what we call cotton whool. Blame them. They taught us in school that it was a normal English word. Maybe it's normal in British.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes of course but you implied I did it on purpose. Now I wont use it anymore just like another word Snerf taught me.

I implied you did it on purpose? Where?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
The irony about the stated reason for this is that it's almost always about appearances, rather than true profanity. There is more spiritually vile presence in a murderous sentiment expressed as an "acceptable word or words" than someone using the "F bomb" upon being startled after hitting a crack in the road.

I also think this kind of thing can get out of hand - and used as an excuse to get to people. "Ass" is a good example. It's not considered "profanity" here in Australia. When I use 'BS' I mean bullstuff which to me is the same as the "profane" word. Would it be more acceptable to use scientific words and less offensive? "I think what you expressed there is the creamy fecal matter of a sick bull". LOL!

But, if you want a message board where everyone is tippy toeing around in what they post (or link to) lest it offend someone's pseudo spirituality then, that's up to ya'll. The profanity filter was used by certain people on CF to get to me (either by users or staff themselves) to cherry pick some of my postings to give me infractions. I knew this was the case because when I started there I could link videos with a mild warning that it contained some profanity (lest anyone's "virgin ears" be penetrated by an F bomb or something similar) - but later, everything I posted or linked to was combed through with a fine brush to see if it contained something that could be construed as an infraction (while others who did the exact same things were passed over)

It's one of the things I found super frustrating and is one of the reasons I trolled that board in certain ways. Double standards were often employed by the Xians.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The irony about the stated reason for this is that it's almost always about appearances, rather than true profanity. There is more spiritually vile presence in a murderous sentiment expressed as an "acceptable word or words" than someone using the "F bomb" upon being startled after hitting a crack in the road.

I also think this kind of thing can get out of hand - and used as an excuse to get to people. "Ass" is a good example. It's not considered "profanity" here in Australia. When I use 'BS' I mean bullstuff which to me is the same as the "profane" word. Would it be more acceptable to use scientific words and less offensive? "I think what you expressed there is the creamy fecal matter of a sick bull". LOL!

But, if you want a message board where everyone is tippy toeing around in what they post (or link to) lest it offend someone's pseudo spirituality then, that's up to ya'll. The profanity filter was used by certain people on CF to get to me (either by users or staff themselves) to cherry pick some of my postings to give me infractions. I knew this was the case because when I started there I could link videos with a mild warning that it contained some profanity (lest anyone's "virgin ears" be penetrated by an F bomb or something similar) - but later, everything I posted or linked to was combed through with a fine brush to see if it contained something that could be construed as an infraction (while others who did the exact same things were passed over)

It's one of the things I found super frustrating and is one of the reasons I trolled that board in certain ways. Double standards were often employed by the Xians.

There's nothing wrong with staff wanting members to control their tongues (so to speak) on this site. And you know that if we wanted you banned for any reason we would have done it by now. You probably realize we're some of the most merciful staffers around compared to the other sites you've been on.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship

I'm not sure if that's fair. To me, it has the feeling of a person attempting to force his or her own view of morality on someone who has a different view. I could take the position that those who are more conservative should learn to show more grace to those who aren't as conservative. :p But you're the boss here. :)

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
There's nothing wrong with staff wanting members to control their tongues (so to speak) on this site. And you know that if we wanted you banned for any reason we would have done it by now. You probably realize we're some of the most merciful staffers around compared to the other sites you've been on.

I didn't say anything about the staff here. I think the points I have made speak for themselves, and I referenced a site where the rule was abused. Btw, that site cannot ban me, only my name. I can still get around their "ban" and post, but I have chosen to uphold my word and not do so. :)

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I implied you did it on purpose? Where?

You asked me what I said. I explained it. Then theres a staff talk and i get jsimms telling me its bad. i explain it again. still bad. fine. who cares. then theres a thread about putting stars there on purpose. if you act normal you just ask if you dont understand. thats what irritates me.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

That was the reason I believed they were atheist trolls. I thought these ppl cant be serious. They put me on a break for posting mr bean w his middle finger. well guess my country is filthy and rude. so be it. lol.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You asked me what I said. I explained it. Then theres a staff talk and i get jsimms telling me its bad. i explain it again. still bad. fine. who cares. then theres a thread about putting stars there on purpose. if you act normal you just ask if you dont understand. thats what irritates me.

This thread was not started to single you out. It was started because staff have a concern that profanity was taking place and seemed to be increasing and we wanted to address it. I'm sorry that you are upset or offended. I do value your input in the forum and would be sorry if you were gone. I want you to know that. I value your involvement here. The thread is just a reminder for people to watch their words.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
That was the reason I believed they were atheist trolls. I thought these ppl cant be serious. They put me on a break for posting mr bean w his middle finger. well guess my country is filthy and rude. so be it. lol.

Wow.. that was a strong reaction ( you being suspended, I mean). The United States does have a strong Puritan influence ( that is apparently trans- denominational. I don't think Martin Luther would have taken such a strong stance against the use of profanity when the occasion called for it, but we Lutherans certainly do) that influences our social relationships. I haven't visited the Netherlands ( or Europe in general), so I don't know how they relate to each other, but simply by virtue of being another country, there would be socio- cultural differences we all might do well to be sensitive towards. I'll mind my manners, yes, of course, but being mindful that the internet is an international phenomenon, I'll also be aware that some folks' manners will differ from my own.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Catho LIC?
Bashing?? come onnn...
Really now...a little honesty is in order, yes no?

How many times does it have to be pointed out that exposing some of the false DOCTRINE and PRACTICE that comes out of the RC (or any other) denomination is not a 'bashing' (boo-hoo), of CathoLICS, let alone mcoffee.

catholi-CISM vs catho-LIC
Theres a difference, and the false accusations really need to stop (do we need a reminder who our God says is a false accuser of the brethren? Thats more 'unchristian' than 'bashing' a denominations doctrine, isnt it?)

There's a biblical duty to contend for the faith, expose false teachING, and if its persisted in, call out the false teachERS.
Meanwhile, you can find scores of threads started (and even individual posts) that were of an apparently antagonistic nature or for personal goading or 'bashing' of other denominations by our resident 'Saint' that seemed to be deliberately (however covertly) inflammatory in nature.

(Its like the old 'throw some live bait in the water, then sit back and smirk, while watching the pirhanas attack each other trying to get to it' idea)

I even witnessed a snicker-fest right on the chatbox directed not only at a denomination, but at a person or two.

But look, if ppl want to do that, fine, Im no prude about anything, but if it's gonna be dished out, well, whats good for the goose.... Right?

Im not sure why one person gets a pass, or always has to either have a girl or two do his defending for him, or else he goes away to sulk and gain sympathy, (and I just BET he gets a heros welcome when he returns), but I agree with Albion, that ppl arent attacking him, only finally standing up to some of his tactics.

I dont know why he wouldnt stay in the fray, however, we're really not here to 'bash' ANYbody, but to get the truth out and help ppl either be saved or grow in the Word.

I wouldnt kick anyone out, or ignore them, if they didnt like something I believe in (and ive taken some 'bashing' for believing in salvation as a one-time forever gift) and no on else should be made to feel they have to leave.

But hey, maybe some bible truth is getting thru (thats Gods work) and he's re-thinking some of his beliefs. No one here is going to ridicule him, (at least they BETTER not, Id defend him right away), if he comes in and says he's seeing a doctrine or two a bit differently, and if it causes him to be closer to the Lord or rejoice in Him, hey, we rejoice with him ... I surely would. Isnt that part of what brotherly love is about anyway?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Catho LIC?
Bashing?? come onnn...
Really now...a little honesty is in order, yes no?

How many times does it have to be pointed out that exposing some of the false DOCTRINE and PRACTICE that comes out of the RC (or any other) denomination is not a 'bashing' (boo-hoo), of CathoLICS, let alone mcoffee.

catholi-CISM vs catho-LIC
Theres a difference, and the false accusations really need to stop (do we need a reminder who our God says is a false accuser of the brethren? Thats more 'unchristian' than 'bashing' a denominations doctrine, isnt it?)

There's a biblical duty to contend for the faith, expose false teachING, and if its persisted in, call out the false teachERS.
Meanwhile, you can find scores of threads started (and even individual posts) that were of an apparently antagonistic nature or for personal goading or 'bashing' of other denominations by our resident 'Saint' that seemed to be deliberately (however covertly) inflammatory in nature.

(Its like the old 'throw some live bait in the water, then sit back and smirk, while watching the pirhanas attack each other trying to get to it' idea)

I even witnessed a snicker-fest right on the chatbox directed not only at a denomination, but at a person or two.

But look, if ppl want to do that, fine, Im no prude about anything, but if it's gonna be dished out, well, whats good for the goose.... Right?

Im not sure why one person gets a pass, or always has to either have a girl or two do his defending for him, or else he goes away to sulk and gain sympathy, (and I just BET he gets a heros welcome when he returns), but I agree with Albion, that ppl arent attacking him, only finally standing up to some of his tactics.

I dont know why he wouldnt stay in the fray, however, we're really not here to 'bash' ANYbody, but to get the truth out and help ppl either be saved or grow in the Word.

I wouldnt kick anyone out, or ignore them, if they didnt like something I believe in (and ive taken some 'bashing' for believing in salvation as a one-time forever gift) and no on else should be made to feel they have to leave.

But hey, maybe some bible truth is getting thru (thats Gods work) and he's re-thinking some of his beliefs. No one here is going to ridicule him, (at least they BETTER not, Id defend him right away), if he comes in and says he's seeing a doctrine or two a bit differently, and if it causes him to be closer to the Lord or rejoice in Him, hey, we rejoice with him ... I surely would. Isnt that part of what brotherly love is about anyway?

Just make it a protestant forum if its normal to treat catholics like that. He left ofter. Can't blame him. Smart.
You assume a lot of stuff.

Top Bottom