CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      99.87%

Using Profanity -- Please read

We shouldn't even need to say this, but this is a reminder not to use profanity. That includes using asterisk ** in order to try and use curse words, using words in the bible in a nonbiblical way such as damn or ass and not using abbreviations such as BS or putting spaces between letters to try and get around profanity filter. We are grown ups here. We shouldn't need to make a list of horrible words you shouldn't use.

The Rules clearly state
      Proverbs 21:23 Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.
      Profanity is forbidden. Do not bypass the profanity filter.

2. Likes DHoffmann, Confessional Lutheran liked this post
      DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.26%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      We shouldn't even need to say this, but this is a reminder not to use profanity. That includes using asterisk ** in order to try and use curse words, using words in the bible in a nonbiblical way such as damn or ass and not using abbreviations such as BS or putting spaces between letters to try and get around profanity filter. We are grown ups here. We shouldn't need to make a list of horrible words you shouldn't use.

The Rules clearly state
      Proverbs 21:23 Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.
      I agree, our minds fill in the blanks so its basically the same as cussing out right

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

4. Likes Lämmchen liked this post
      Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.75%
      I didnt bypass it. He turned it into asterikses. I'll go talk normal in Dutch a while on a Dutch forum. Calling ppl a jerk or the most nasty stuff in holy words is no problem here.

Confessional Lutheran is offline Prodigy Member
      Divorced
      John 15:5

Mood:
      Piratey

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      74.3%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post

The Rules clearly state
      Understood.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (104,909 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      91.77%
      This has been an ongoing issue for many months now and we're not singling out one person here. Since we're a Christian site we want to give the best Christian witness we can so as not to offend our brothers and sisters in Christ.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

8. Likes Confessional Lutheran liked this post
      IACOBVS is offline Junior Member
      Mood:
      Sad

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      41.55%
      Ok ... but I guess it's still alright and not offensive for some to call gay people horrible things. Right?

Snerfle is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Geeky

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      82.97%
      Yes, recently I wrote an equivalent to 'what the heck' only used the symbol things, and that wasnt right, I apologize. I was just shocked at how misunderstood one of my posts was and couldnt believe the response to it. Just a misunderstanding.

As far as the name calling...wow, Ive been the recipient of it, but not any profanity, i dont think so, but it doesnt bother me that much, and my responses (of which many times I didnt say anything back) were only the same things said to me, of which ive been corrected about.

And not every arrow fired at me landed in a public post, but His mercies are new every morning, its ok, no biggie.
      Its ok, as I come from a place where folks would call each other you blankety blank and you bleep bleep bleep and then shake hands and go buy each other a beer, so no big deal (and that was just the christian women, lol)

But yes, there are onlookers and ppl from other cultures that are alot more sensitive to these things, and I dont want to make another stumble, so thx for the heads up.

But too much sense of humor has been lost, too, imo, as well as having a forgiving spirit of good cheer. I would like to see more of that, too.
      ~Deliberate ignorance
      is anti-christian~

11. Likes IACOBVS, Confessional Lutheran liked this post
      Confessional Lutheran is offline Prodigy Member
      Divorced
      John 15:5

Mood:
      Piratey

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      74.3%
      Quote Originally Posted by IACOBVS View Post
      Ok ... but I guess it's still alright and not offensive for some to call gay people horrible things. Right?
      Calling anybody names is never okay. I typed in asterisks in a reply I made to another poster in an obviously ill conceived attempt to be funny, but apparently that was something that caused offense. I do apologize for offending anybody, as that was not my intention. It seems that I'm at my best when I am serious. Very well. I'll try harder to stick to the guidelines contained in the forum.

Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.75%
      Quote Originally Posted by Confessional Lutheran View Post
      Calling anybody names is never okay. I typed in asterisks in a reply I made to another poster in an obviously ill conceived attempt to be funny, but apparently that was something that caused offense. I do apologize for offending anybody, as that was not my intention. It seems that I'm at my best when I am serious. Very well. I'll try harder to stick to the guidelines contained in the forum.
      Oh. I'm Dutch so I won't. I said a completely innocent dumb thing which those English speakers think is vulgar and the filter changes it in asterikses which i find funny. Lolzo then you get a warning and a thread about it. I even explsined the mistake. Then they beat you up w Bible texts. Well bye. Go talk to each other so 'holy'. Good luck w it. I'm out.
      And this is on purpose, not a mistake:

http://liturgy.co.nz/saint-paul-says-****

Cause I'm sick of this gezeik: peeing.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      77.94%
      IMO, probably 99% of the time, the "profanity filter" that comes with the program CH uses is going to "catch" things; I think it's wise to not challenge that in the thread (it can be challenged to staff) or purposely bypass the filter.

IMO, some of this IS cultural. So I think it IS possible for someone to post something they they very sincerely don't regard as profanity... but again, if the filter replaces it with "*****" then, well, the program here considers it profanity - and it's best not to challenge that in the thread (one can to the staff). And when you learn that word is regarded as profanity, it's wise to stop using it here. Make sense?

It's important to remember that moderation here is tolerant. A poster generally needs to be persistent and repeating and intentional in violating a rule before some major action is taken; consideration IS given to those who may not realize they are not posting within our guidelines. So here again, if the filter removes your word - learn. You may or may not agree with what the filter did, but the place to take that up is not publicly in the thread (quite possibly knowingly repeating the violation) but in the Member Service Center. Make sense?

I think that humor is good (and heaven knows, conversations can become such where a bit of humor is needed!). But we have to be careful (as most comedians can tell you).... one person's "funny" can be another persons "flame." Best to be careful. And yes, this too is largely cultural so be especially careful in an international forum like this. And Satire can be effective (and funny) but lots of caution is needed here, too.

Some of our conversations are contraversal and "heated." Personally, I think that's a good thing (I'd likely not be here otherwise). But while passions can be great.... while we may disagree with a POSITION with zeal..... remember, we respect the POSTER if not the POSITION. Where profanity tends to be a problem is when it's directed not to a position but to a person.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.