Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Galatians 5:22-25
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

What is the significance that these qualities are called the "fruit of the Spirit"?

It says that those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh. But, it seems that many who claim to be believers have not crucified the flesh at all, but look much like the world. What is the significance of this?

How do you live by the Spirit?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

What is the significance that these qualities are called the "fruit of the Spirit"?

It says that those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh. But, it seems that many who claim to be believers have not crucified the flesh at all, but look much like the world. What is the significance of this?

That we have to learn who we are in Christ, confess that we died with Him and cry out that He delivers us from this body of flesh, so you can walk in the Spirit. But as long as you get taught and believe that you have 2 natures and the old one didn't die, your mind doesn't get renewed and you don't convert of sin and live just like the unsaved or worse.
Every time someone is nasty you can choose to respond as He wants. If it is absolutely impossible you need deliverance.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The significance of the qualities of the Fruit if the Spirit is that they are qualities that God has.

We are called to be holy like God is holy yet we still live in this sinful flesh. We will always come across believers who don't behave in a godly manner but that doesn't mean that they aren't Christian. Our actions don't make us Christian.

The Spirit will continue to work in us as He promises. God will never leave us :)

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The significance of the qualities of the Fruit if the Spirit is that they are qualities that God has.

We are called to be holy like God is holy yet we still live in this sinful flesh. We will always come across believers who don't behave in a godly manner but that doesn't mean that they aren't Christian. Our actions don't make us Christian.

The Spirit will continue to work in us as He promises. God will never leave us :)

No, our actions don't make us christians. But, if someone acts out and is ugly and aggressive and abusive in speech and actions day after day then that is an indication there is a problem. If the person is a believer there has become some sort of stumbling block for that believer whether it is unconfessed sin of some kind or the person has wandered away from spending time with God and lost their focus

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

In the context of what Jesus said about branches bearing fruit, about vines being tended, and about branches that bear no fruit being thrown into the fire, I think there's an indication that if we are "attached" to Jesus we will bear fruit, and if we do not bear fruit people would be right to question just how, and indeed whether, we are walking with Jesus.

Jesus' comments about false prophets performing great miracles and how we would know them by their fruits, coupled with Paul's comments in 1Co 13 about how it doesn't matter what we do because if we have no love (one of the fruit, even if not listed here) it's all to no avail, shows how we shouldn't be taken in by things that suggest someone may walk closely with God if they are lacking the things that should be there.

Paul's comments about the gifts being given by the Spirit, as he decides show that not everybody has every gift, and indeed implies that some people may not have supernatural gifts at all. The fruit should be evident in the life of every Christian - someone who has love and peace but does not prophesy is most likely in a better place spiritually than someone who prophesies and speaks in tongues but is full of wrath and envy.

Looking much like the world can be a tricky one, simply because Christians need to be in the world. We wear clothes, we do grocery shopping, we meet our friends for a beer, we pursue hobbies, we do many of the same things that "the world" does. What should set us apart is the fruit, the hope that we have within us, and often it's the little things that people notice. If you're the only one in the office who doesn't swear like a drunken sailor, if you're the one who is honest with your expense claims, if you're the one who would rather fail an exam than pass by cheating, people notice. They might not say anything, but they notice.

The world's way is often little more than "fake it 'til you make it". Living by the Spirit is something that improves with time, as we do more and more of it. I think it's 1Peter chapter 1 (don't have a Bible to hand right now) that describes what is essentially a progression of holiness. It might be boiled down to "don't run before you can walk". I've often thought of us as being like shapes with jagged bits stuck on the sides, and the Christian life as being like a succession of holes that we don't fit through unless a bit gets broken off. With each hole we have the opportunity to crucify a little more of our flesh, lose a little more of ourselves that isn't Christ-like. Each one of us has a different walk, so for some of us it might be that the holes are easy to pass through and come at wide intervals while for others some holes may be painful and they may come more frequently, but ultimately the goal is the same - to make us ever-more like Jesus.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, our actions don't make us christians. But, if someone acts out and is ugly and aggressive and abusive in speech and actions day after day then that is an indication there is a problem. If the person is a believer there has become some sort of stumbling block for that believer whether it is unconfessed sin of some kind or the person has wandered away from spending time with God and lost their focus

There's also a big difference between someone who responds to a specific stressful situation in a way they might not if they had more time to think about it, and someone who is routinely abusive to others.

Simple example - a few years ago I was riding my bicycle and a lady pulled out in front of me in her car. I hit the brakes hard but still couldn't quite stop in time so bumped the car (thankfully not hard). She claimed she didn't see me. I'm 6'4 and was wearing a fluorescent yellow jacket with reflective piping - you'd have to be blind to not see me coming, assuming you actually looked. Under the influence of a huge amount of adrenaline I gave her a piece of my mind and although I don't remember exactly what I said I suspect there may have been some colorful terms thrown in. Within a few minutes the adrenaline had faded and I was left with the enduring thought that I could probably have handled the situation more gracefully.

In this example, although my conduct fell short of what I would like to think I'd do if it happened again, it's very different to the person who is routinely abusive towards everybody from the slow checkout assistant to their subordinates at work to their neighbors etc.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Sometimes when people don't feel well they will come across in the manner you've written above.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I'm WORKING on it... and failing every day.

Lord, have mercy,
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm WORKING on it... and failing every day.

Lord, have mercy,
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

My pastor recently had a message about how we are the feet and hands of Jesus on earth now and he has given us a purpose and work to do. One of my thoughts was that if this is the case I fall far short of the goal. Someone may be tempted when they hear a message like that to think that they simply must try harder. But, the fruit of the Spirit are not created by trying harder. They are created through abiding in Christ as John 15:1-5 says and trusting and obeying the Lord. The Spirit is the one who bears the fruit, not through trying harder.
I'd like to think that I bear some fruit. It might not be the best or brightest, but it is there. Hopefully one day it will be a more fruitful season for me.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My pastor recently had a message about how we are the feet and hands of Jesus on earth now and he has given us a purpose and work to do. One of my thoughts was that if this is the case I fall far short of the goal. Someone may be tempted when they hear a message like that to think that they simply must try harder. But, the fruit of the Spirit are not created by trying harder. They are created through abiding in Christ as John 15:1-5 says and trusting and obeying the Lord. The Spirit is the one who bears the fruit, not through trying harder.
I'd like to think that I bear some fruit. It might not be the best or brightest, but it is there. Hopefully one day it will be a more fruitful season for me.

Good stuff here - the "trying harder" is about walking more closely with Jesus rather than trying to be more loving and more peaceful. One of the young guys in our church preached a sermon recently when he used the comparison to the world's way of "fake it 'til you make it" that I mentioned above. It can be easy to fake the fruit at a trivial level, to go through the motions of loving people and appearing peaceful even if we are raging inside, but as soon as the pressure is really on it becomes apparent how much is real. When it comes to loving those who are truly unlovely, when it comes to having peace and joy even when in the middle of life's major storms, it's nigh on impossible to fake it unless there really is something real there.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Our bearing fruit is connected to loving our neighbor. It's not God who needs us to do things...it's our neighbor who is in need. The Spirit surely is having you bear fruit that you aren't even aware of "Lord, Lord, when did we do those things?"

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO, Christ calls Christians to MANY things..... including moral perfection ("you must be perfect just as God is perfect" "you must be holy just as God is holy"), the "Fruits of the Spirit," the "Great Commission" and above all, the "Great Commandment" - LOVE just as I first loved you; by this will all know you are my own, by your LOVE. IMO, we should - and CAN - grow in these things! And the evidence of this SHOULD and CAN be evident.

But I think there is a flip side, too. Because we remain sinners in a fallen, broken, dysfunctional world. Sanctification is a PROCESS (a synergistic one at that) that we never "finish" (this side of heaven anyway). Scripture is correct when it says "for ALL sin and fall short." Paul was just being truthful when he (SAINT Paul, lol) admits, "Chief of sinners am I."

And so two realities exist side=by-side. We must respond to His love, strength and Call becoming ever more Christ like, ever more moral and loving and serving in our daily lives and vocations. BUT also admit with SAINT Paul that we fail more often than we realize and that we are the chief of sinners who stand DESPIRATELY in NEED of His boundless mercy, His amazing grace, His unconditional love.

And.... from MY limited experience..... sadly..... I don't witness a HUGE and EVIDENT difference in Christians compared to others. It pains me to admit this but I'd hate to be compared to my Buddhist coworker in terms of giving, caring, serving (and maybe outward morality). But I'm pressing forward toward the goal that is EVER ahead of me. And I admit I'm not closer to that goal than a lot of nonchristians known to me, at least as it seems to ME.

Just MY half cent.

- Josiah

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO, Christ calls Christians to MANY things..... including moral perfection ("you must be perfect just as God is perfect" "you must be holy just as God is holy"), the "Fruits of the Spirit," the "Great Commission" and above all, the "Great Commandment" - LOVE just as I first loved you; by this will all know you are my own, by your LOVE. IMO, we should - and CAN - grow in these things! And the evidence of this SHOULD and CAN be evident.

But I think there is a flip side, too. Because we remain sinners in a fallen, broken, dysfunctional world. Sanctification is a PROCESS (a synergistic one at that) that we never "finish" (this side of heaven anyway). Scripture is correct when it says "for ALL sin and fall short." Paul was just being truthful when he (SAINT Paul, lol) admits, "Chief of sinners am I."

And so two realities exist side=by-side. We must respond to His love, strength and Call becoming ever more Christ like, ever more moral and loving and serving in our daily lives and vocations. BUT also admit with SAINT Paul that we fail more often than we realize and that we are the chief of sinners who stand DESPIRATELY in NEED of His boundless mercy, His amazing grace, His unconditional love.

And.... from MY limited experience..... sadly..... I don't witness a HUGE and EVIDENT difference in Christians compared to others. It pains me to admit this but I'd hate to be compared to my Buddhist coworker in terms of giving, caring, serving (and maybe outward morality). But I'm pressing forward toward the goal that is EVER ahead of me. And I admit I'm not closer to that goal than a lot of nonchristians known to me, at least as it seems to ME.

Just MY half cent.

- Josiah

The Bible talks about how God is light. The closer we walk to that light as believers, the more we are going to become aware of our own sinfulness. If I walk in darkness then I am walking in blissful unawareness and ignorance. But, when the light is turned on then I become aware of my imperfections. I think that is where many of us are. We are aware of how far from holy we are, at least in some respect. I think we probably need that. It helps keep us dependent on God and humble. That's far better than to act like a Pharisee and pretend we have already arrived.

Top Bottom