~Hebrews13:1 kjv~

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Amen, all Christian theology is about love. It starts with “love thy God...” and ends with “love thy neighbor. “And what holds it all together is the love of God working through believers, starting with our brothers in Christ.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Amen, all Christian theology is about love. It starts with “love thy God...” and ends with “love thy neighbor. “And what holds it all together is the love of God working through believers, starting with our brothers in Christ.

Yes, and thank you.
My first thread not of a Newcomers nature, and yours was my first reply. Thank you very much.

I was going to ask in the OP, 'Who do you think this verse was written to' but I thought I'd just leave it intact.

Ignoring and indifference toward a brother or sister in Christ would be the anti-thesis of the verse, imo.

Thanks, Tigger, and God bless you.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Don't think that not responding to a statement that everyone subscribes to indicates indifference.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Don't think that not responding to a statement that everyone subscribes to indicates indifference.

No, I dont assume everyone subscribes to Hebrews13:1 ... Not by a long shot.

And ignoring or being indifferent to a brother or sister in Christ IS the anti-thesis of Hebrews13:1.

I just thought I'd post an important verse in an OP just to lay it out there and see what, if any, responses it would bring.

Thanks for replying to my first thread. :thumbsup:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, I dont assume everyone subscribes to Hebrews13:1 ... Not by a long shot.

And ignoring or being indifferent to a brother or sister in Christ IS the anti-thesis of Hebrews13:1.
Could be, but it wasn't indifference to a brother or sister in Christ that I was referring to.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Could be, but it wasn't indifference to a brother or sister in Christ that I was referring to.

Who were you referring to, then?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I said that not replying to the OP shouldn't be taken as an indication of indifference to that verse or its message. It wasn't indifference to brothers and sisters in Christ.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
I said that not replying to the OP shouldn't be taken as an indication of indifference to that verse or its message. It wasn't indifference to brothers and sisters in Christ.

Considering that this is a forum that claims everyone here is brother and sister in Christ, and the OP simply says what scripture says, 'Let brotherly love continue', then to ignore that can be a pretty good indication of indifference.
Doesnt have to be, but it can be.
We'll see.
The verse in the OP says what it says.
Ppl can reply to it in any way they like, or choose to ignore it if they want.
Whatever's in their heart.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Considering that this is a forum that claims everyone here is brother and sister in Christ, and the OP simply says what scripture says, 'Let brotherly love continue', then to ignore that can be a pretty good indication of indifference.
I don't think so, but if you want to impute that thinking to all of us who didn't immediately take to the keyboard to say "Right on" or "Preach it, bro!" I guess we are stuck with you concluding that we are indifferent towards the Scriptures. :esad:

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Amen, yes He is ! Thank you, Jesus !
God bless you, pinacled !
God Bless yu tu

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ, even as

4 He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,

5 having predestined us to be His own adopted children by Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of His will,

6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in His Beloved:

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
I don't think so, but if you want to impute that thinking to all of us who didn't immediately take to the keyboard to say "Right on" or "Preach it, bro!" I guess we are stuck with you concluding that we are indifferent towards the Scriptures. :esad:

Nope, you're wrong about that.
All I did was lay it out there and we'll see.
There's no timetables. And no requirements how to respond.
Two ppl came in and left a word of encouragement about the love of God.
That's what was on their heart to do.
You chose to reply a few times, which I appreciate, but chose take a somewhat different route. Thats fine.

Ppl here arent blind or stupid, they can see when new posts or threads go up.
This one said one verse from scripture ...
Let brotherly love continue.

Ppl are free to reply in kind, reply unkindly, or ignore it altogether.
It's out there now for anyone to see, long-term members, new ppl, guests (hi), and hopefully for a long time to come, anyone can come by and comment.

I just think for the here and now, with whats gone on around some threads lately, it's an especially important verse and quite pertinent.

Your replies are appreciated and are being taken into consideration.
So I still say thank you.

I find it all interesting.
The verse says what it says and I take it to heart, it means a whole lot to me personally, but it is an encouragement to all believers, in my opinion.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
God Bless yu tu

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ, even as

4 He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,

5 having predestined us to be His own adopted children by Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of His will,

6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in His Beloved:

Yes, Amen.
You had to start, dint ya?! , lol
You KNOW I cant read that many verses into Ephesians and just stop there...now I have to go read the rest, or at least thru Chapter 3.
Thanks!! (No, really...thank you :tea: )

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

What do you know of the 4 carpenters

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes, Amen.
You had to start, dint ya?! , lol
You KNOW I cant read that many verses into Ephesians and just stop there...now I have to go read the rest, or at least thru Chapter 3.
Thanks!! (No, really...thank you :tea: )
Enjoy your coffee,

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, and thank you.
My first thread not of a Newcomers nature, and yours was my first reply. Thank you very much.

I was going to ask in the OP, 'Who do you think this verse was written to' but I thought I'd just leave it intact.

It's one of my favorite verses, and I was curious to see if ppl would apply it, and actually show brotherly love, use the thread as a place to extend brotherly love, I'd like to see that,

or perhaps some might question it further, like define brother here or define brotherly love, and see how we could expand the discussion, I'd welcome that too,

or just ignore it, which would be very telling in and of itself.

Ignoring and indifference toward a brother or sister in Christ would be the anti-thesis of the verse.

Thanks, Tigger, and God bless you.
Thanks Snerfle, and God bless you too :)

First I'd like to say we all come to internet forums for different reasons. Just bc someone bypasses a particular type of thread shouldn't in anyway be conflated with showing indifference toward a brother or sister in Christ like we see in the biblical story of the good Samaritan. I think its a good topic for a thread and I will add a post here and there when things come to mind but OTOH is says nothing of those that just don't reply for what ever reason. It just is what it is. Don't read too much into stuff or you'll end up crazy like me :crazy:

Now the word of God always amazes me in how multilayered its teacheings go. First God's love for us is life giving and then we give that love/life to others (our brothers and sisters in Christ) and then that exchange is effectual to those outside of the church as in the following verse.

John 13:35King James Version (KJV)

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
First brotherly love should be our goal in all interaction but being human we all fail in this at times. As to who it was written the title says it all, it was written to the Hebrews

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
First brotherly love should be our goal in all interaction but being human we all fail in this at times. As to who it was written the title says it all, it was written to the Hebrews
The book is written to 'The Hebrews' but I think as it goes along it hones it in on saved believers (again, I only use that phrase for clarity here, theres often so much misunderstanding over terms)

and the 'brotherly love' in this book, and this verse takes on a deeper meaning than the more general exhortations of love your neighbor or even love your enemy ...

And no, I'm not making that lesser, thats the commandment from the Lord Himself, I'm just saying that the brotherly love spoken of in 13:1 applies in a special, (call it peculiar?) way because of the exchange.

Yes, we are called to love: God, neighbor, enemy, but the unbeliever is not being encouraged like us to 'let brotherly love continue' , thats for us as brother and sister in Christ, in my opinion, and for the reason Tigger outlined earlier, ↓ and to glorify the name of Jesus.
QUOTE=Tigger]By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.[/QUOTE]
Yes, another one of my favorite verses, it goes with the OP, and shows it to be a two-way street. Thank you!

Top Bottom