Why should I let you into my heaven, asks God. How do you reply?

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Suppose that God asks you "Why should I let you into my heaven?" How do you reply?

God, I don't even need to answer your question, because Your Son is my advocate.. However, I will be civil. Your Son died for me and has removed any barrier to my entering. Take this up with Him. See you later at the wedding banquet, future father-in-law. :p

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
God, I don't even need to answer your question, because Your Son is my advocate.. However, I will be civil. Your Son died for me and has removed any barrier to my entering. Take this up with Him. See you later at the wedding banquet, future father-in-law. :p

Your answer made me laugh.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Suppose that God asks you "Why should I let you into my heaven?" How do you reply?

First of all, God doesn't ask questions to get information. Like in some ways he is lacking knowledge. When he asked Adam and Eve in the Garden about eating the fruit it was to give them a chance to confess. So, your premise is faulty that God would ask us such a question.
If he did, my response would be to point to Jesus and the price he paid for me. I am not justified on any other basis.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
You shouldn't.

But Jesus saved me.

Hallelujah! Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift!

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

~1Peter1:3-9~

I pray this to be for EVERY member and visitor here...May God bless you with His love and grace and salvation in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
As Pete from the UK said, God would not ask me that question since He is the one who died for me and clothes me with righteousness. At Jesus' baptism the Holy Spirit descended upon him and at my own baptism I was given the gift of the Holy Spirit so that when God sees me He sees His Son with whom He is well pleased. The good works I do have already been set aside for me to do them by the Holy Spirit and the judgment received are on account of the faith He has given to me in Christ Jesus. It is Jesus that makes any of us worthy for heaven.

Water baptism did not do what you imagine it to do. God would toss you out if water baptism was your means of entrance to heaven.
Your adoption is set by God's ordinance, not by your parents efforts in baptizing you. The means of salvation is Yeshua's atonement for your sin, made effectual at the moment God chose to adopt you. This is a biblical fact.
Infant baptism as the means of salvation is a man-made concoction of a few denominations. It sadly gives many a false trust in their status with God. Be very careful with such a non-biblical teaching.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Water baptism did not do what you imagine it to do. God would toss you out if water baptism was your means of entrance to heaven.
Your adoption is set by God's ordinance, not by your parents efforts in baptizing you. The means of salvation is Yeshua's atonement for your sin, made effectual at the moment God chose to adopt you. This is a biblical fact.
Infant baptism as the means of salvation is a man-made concoction of a few denominations. It sadly gives many a false trust in their status with God. Be very careful with such a non-biblical teaching.

God baptized me so your post was fruitless.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
God baptized me so your post was fruitless.
Great. The Spirit immersed you into Christ at a point not connected with your infant sprinkling. Good to know.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Great. The Spirit immersed you into Christ at a point not connected with your infant sprinkling. Good to know.
Would you allow that it COULD be a concurrent event for some?
An adult or someone old enough to understand, that is?
That perhaps even while they were in the water, they still hadnt fully understood or maybe they believed but hadnt 'received' in the fullest sense, but when they went under the water, it was there that 'a light bulb went on' so to speak, and they received salvation/baptism in the spirit at the same time as the water-baptism?

Or even possibly, (as a second question/scenario), it was sometime AFTER, perhaps reading or hearing the Word, that they went OOOOHHHHH , PRAISE THE LORD, I GET IT NOW! HALLELUJAH THANK YOU JESUS!!!
Just offering up the possibility. (Not referring to 'baby-water-baptism', btw)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Sir, YOU were not at my baptism so you cannot make any comment on what happened.

But I was there. God baptized me by water and Word. I did nothing in baptism but received what HE gave me. I was 4 years old and I do remember it well and it was not an empty baptism as some like to claim happens. So please do not try to comment on my experience since you were not present and you do not believe that God could do such things in baptism anyway.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Sir, YOU were not at my baptism so you cannot make any comment on what happened.

But I was there. God baptized me by water and Word. I did nothing in baptism but received what HE gave me. I was 4 years old and I do remember it well and it was not an empty baptism as some like to claim happens. So please do not try to comment on my experience since you were not present and you do not believe that God could do such things in baptism anyway.
Great, no infant baptism. No regeneration via baptism. That's all I was looking for.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Would you allow that it COULD be a concurrent event for some?
An adult or someone old enough to understand, that is?
That perhaps even while they were in the water, they still hadnt fully understood or maybe they believed but hadnt 'received' in the fullest sense, but when they went under the water, it was there that 'a light bulb went on' so to speak, and they received salvation/baptism in the spirit at the same time as the water-baptism?

Or even possibly, (as a second question/scenario), it was sometime AFTER, perhaps reading or hearing the Word, that they went OOOOHHHHH , PRAISE THE LORD, I GET IT NOW! HALLELUJAH THANK YOU JESUS!!!
Just offering up the possibility. (Not referring to 'baby-water-baptism', btw)
Ignored?

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

Luther said that it's not the water, but the water and the Word that brings salvation to the recipient of Holy Baptism, therefore ( as the promises of God apply to infants and baptism brings salvation and sparks faith) children are indeed to be baptized. It is God doing the baptism. Being born again by water and the Spirit implies that the Holy Spirit is present with the Word in the waters of baptism. Semi- Pelagianism would be reflected in the whole " making a decision for Jesus," which can only be described as synergism. God and God alone effects faith and new life in the believer.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
God doesn't ask such a stupid question.
Technically, being OMNIPOTENT probably means that God tends to ask rhetorical questions.

You do realize that the question was just a conversation starter to get at where they placed the faith in their justification, right?
It is as good as any other conversation starter.

How about "You brood of vipers, what makes you think you will escape the coming destruction?"
That is an approach taken by one Biblical evangelist. Would you prefer that conversation starter? :)

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Technically, being OMNIPOTENT probably means that God tends to ask rhetorical questions.
LOL, this statement is such an amazing contradiction. Thanks for making me smile.
"Tecnically...probably...God tends..." Ha!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

You do realize that the question was just a conversation starter to get at where they placed the faith in their justification, right?
It is as good as any other conversation starter.

How about "You brood of vipers, what makes you think you will escape the coming destruction?"
That is an approach taken by one Biblical evangelist. Would you prefer that conversation starter? :)

You wrote
"You brood of vipers, what makes you think you will escape the coming destruction?"
Do you think that was intended to start a conversation?

The passage the quote comes from tells a story.

Luke 3:1-22 1 Then, in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being procurator of Judea, and Herod tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene, 2 under the high priests Annas and Caiaphas: the word of the Lord came to John, the son of Zechariah, in the wilderness. 3 And he went into the entire region of the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins, 4 just as it has been written in the book of the sermons of the prophet Isaiah: "The voice of one crying out in the wilderness: Prepare the way of the Lord. Make straight his paths. 5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low. And what is crooked shall be made straight. And the rough paths shall be made into level ways. 6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God." 7 Therefore, he said to the crowd that went out in order to be baptised by him: "You brood of vipers! Who told you to flee from the approaching wrath? 8 So then, produce fruits worthy of repentance. And do not begin to say, "We have Abraham as our father." For I tell you that God has the power to raise up sons to Abraham from these stones. 9 For even now the axe has been placed at the root of the trees. Therefore, every tree that does not produce good fruit shall be cut down and cast into the fire." 10 And the crowed was questioning him, saying, "What then should we do?" 11 But in response, he said to them: "Whoever has two coats, let him give to those who do not have. And whoever has food, let him act similarly." 12 Now the tax collectors also came to be baptised, and they said to him, "Teacher, what should we do?" 13 But he said to them, "You should do nothing more than what has been appointed to you." 14 Then the soldiers also questioned him, saying, "And what should we do?" And he said to them: "You should strike no one, and you should not make false accusations. And be content with your pay." 15 Now all were thinking about John in their hearts, and the people were supposing that perhaps he might be the Christ. 16 John responded by saying to everyone: "Indeed, I baptise you with water. But there will arrive one stronger than me, the laces of whose shoes I am not worthy to loosen. He will baptise you in the Holy Spirit, and with fire. 17 His winnowing fan is in his hand. And he will purify his threshing floor. And he will gather the wheat into the barn. But the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." 18 Indeed, he also proclaimed many other things, exhorting the people. 19 But Herod the tetrarch, when he was corrected by him concerning Herodias, his brother"s wife, and concerning all the evils that Herod had done, 20 added this also, above all else: that he confined John to prison. 21 Now it happened that, when all the people were being baptised, Jesus was baptised; and as he was praying, heaven was opened. 22 And the Holy Spirit, in a corporal appearance like a dove, descended upon him. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my beloved Son. In you, I am well pleased."​

It looks like his opening comment was

"You brood of vipers! Who told you to flee from the approaching wrath? So then, produce fruits worthy of repentance. And do not begin to say, "We have Abraham as our father." For I tell you that God has the power to raise up sons to Abraham from these stones. For even now the axe has been placed at the root of the trees. Therefore, every tree that does not produce good fruit shall be cut down and cast into the fire."​

Maybe he wanted to shake them from their confidence in their ancestry. As descendants of Abraham they may have presumed that they were assured of salvation because of the promises God made to Abraham about his descendants. So if John wanted to disabuse them of confidence in their ancestry what better way to go about it than with shock treatment. I think he was aiming to get them to repent of their sins.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Great, no infant baptism. No regeneration via baptism. That's all I was looking for.

God's promises in baptism were all given to me, of that I'm certain. He looks upon me as He looks upon His Son with whom He is well pleased.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
We did the baptism thing to death. Let's not do it again. Those who teach credobaptism okay do that and those who teach paedobpatism okay do that. Evangelism is a different issue.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We did the baptism thing to death. Let's not do it again. Those who teach credobaptism okay do that and those who teach paedobpatism okay do that. Evangelism is a different issue.

My baptism is connected to the reason why God lets me into heaven :) It's all God's work! I'm covered in Christ's righteousness.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My baptism is connected to the reason why God lets me into heaven :) It's all God's work! I'm covered in Christ's righteousness.

:)

Top Bottom