Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What is your definition of synergism then? Lutherans are monergists.

Catholics think synergism vs monergism is a protestant thing like supralapsarianism vs infralapsarianism and calvinism vs arminianism.

Catholics teach that you're saved by grace through faith for the purpose of doing the good works that God prepared for the faithful to do.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lutherans are monergists.

MennoSota has repeatedly labeled me and Lutherans as synergists and Arminianists..... I think that's laughable and I think everyone knows that.

IF our good friend had actually watched the video in the opening post.... IF he had read my posts here.... IF he had even read those of fellow Calvinist atpollard, he would realize how absurd his response has been.

But again, this is very common among uber-Calvinist apologists. They like to pretend there are only two possibilities: Uber-Arminianism and Uber-Calvinism, and if you aren't one you ERGO are other. Then they prove Arminianism wrong and shout "ERGO Calvinism is right!" It's absurd and laughable (and illogical). I think MennoSota is just doing what so many Calvinist apologetists and Calvinist websites try to do, just echoing that absurd and illogical argument.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
MennoSota has repeatedly labeled me and Lutherans as synergists and Arminianists..... I think that's laughable and I think everyone knows that.

Of course it is silly and laughable; that's what you get when somebody who is not a Lutheran tells Lutherans what they believe. I get the same desire to burst out laughing when somebody who is not a Catholic tells Catholics what they really believe.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Catholics think synergism vs monergism is a protestant thing

If so MoreCoffee, they are obviously wrong.
It is impossible to avoid the issue and Catholics do not avoid it.

What we were taught by our Catholic teachers was bold, clear synergism (in fact, semi-Pelagianism): "God HELPS those who help themselves" (by definition, that's synergism and at least partly Pelagianism). "Christ opened the gate to heaven but YOU have to get YOURSELF through it by what YOU do" (by definition that's synergism and at least partly Pelagianism). Yes, we were taught that the specific, singular, individual RC Denomination HELPS the individual save themselves - by supplying the "Treasury of Merits," by applying the EXACTLY SEVEN Sacraments that it itself owns and controls and doles out, by applying the assistance of the CURRENT APPROVED list of "Saints" and their petititions, by applying the intervention of the Virgin Mary.... but these are HELPS, ASSISTANCE as part of a cooperative, synergistic, "you do your part and God will do His part and EVENTUALLY (Probably after X years in Purgatory) the job will get done" soteriology. That's about as synergistic as it gets.

Now, OFFICIALLY/FORMALLY.... if the RC still remembered the Council of Orange and a lot of things it itself has actually affirmed over the years.... there's monergism (even Lutheranism!) there - as some now admit. You can find Catholics who will say that Justification IS done solely by God -- but that Sanctification is a lifelong process empowered by God (a very Protestant view, the one the RCC excommunicated Luther for). But whatever the official/formal position(s) of the RC Denomination is on this (and it's SO muddy, so entangled as to be impossible to determine that), what is actually taught is powerfully synergistic. It's "God HELPS those who help themselves" It's "you do your part, God does His part.... eventually..... after some years in Purgatory.... the job gets done." Pretty much the definition of synergism.

But yes, the two theories presented in the opening post ARE Protestant theories developed after Luther (and both rejected by Lutherans). They are both radical, "LOGICAL" theories and they continue to this day, often quite at war with one another (the Arminianists clearly but slowing winning). Lutherans reject them both. Catholics are de facto on the side of Arminius in so far as they too are synergists but you're right, they typically see this as a Protestant fight. Lutherans and typically Anglicans aren't involved since we reject both theories so it's an on-going debate among SOME (a minority of) Protestants.

somebody who is not a Catholic tells Catholics what they really believe.

I don't know of anyone who states what all Catholics believe. There are over one billion of them and I personally suspect that every possible idea, theory, belief, concept and opinion that is humanly possible exists among them. But I CAN say what we were taught in my Catholic parish.... and when many agree that's EXACTLY what they were/are taught and when no Catholic states that we were/are taught heresy and the RCC was/is heretical to teach that... then we have every reason to believe it IS taught. I can also quote the Catechism, I can also share what Catholic teachers have told me what is meant by that - and again when no Catholic disagrees, there's reason to accept it as true. For over 12 years, I have had MANY discussions with Catholic laity, Catholic teachers, Catholic apologists and YES CATHOLIC PASTORS (4 different ones) on this very topic, and yes - all have been very boldly, very classically synergistic (and most not only admitting that but defending that).

And yes, PART of the discussion involves definitions. You like to throw the word "grace" around a lot to make it SOUND as if you're agreeing with Protestants and that Protestants SHOULD believe Catholics are right on this topic. But as we both know, the word is typically meant differently. While both Protestants and Catholics use the word variously, what we mean in the context of narrow justification is quite different: Protestants mean a free gift, a divine blessing, something ENTIRELY from God to us - without ANY human thought or action involved. Catholics defined it to us: "It's God's empowering and help. Grace is like the spiritual gas God puts in our tank so that we can get ourselves where we need to be." Opposite definitions of the word. So YES, as we both know, Catholics may choose to SOUND Protestant (weird that they want to) but we all know what they mean is the exact opposite of what the Protestant does. It's just misleading for the Catholic to say to a Protestant, "We believe we are saved by grace alone" when they KNOW they mean the opposite of what the Protestant means by taht thus making the statement misleading; the honest Catholic would go on to say what Catholicism MEANS by "grace" in the context of justification so that the Protestant realizes how synergistic Catholicism typically is.

BTW, at websites, I've seen Catholics engage in the Arminian/Calvinist war - and it's ALWAYS purely, exclusively on the Arminianist side. Although I agree, they usually stay out of the fight (as typically do Lutherans and Anglicans).

- Josiah

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have no difficulty avoiding it. We're saved by grace through faith for the purpose of the good works that God has prepared for the faithful to do. That isn't synergism and it isn't monergism it is grace.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

IF our good friend had actually watched the video in the opening post.... IF he had read my posts here.... IF he had even read those of fellow Calvinist atpollard, he would realize how absurd his response has been.

But again, this is very common among uber-Calvinist apologists. They like to pretend there are only two possibilities: Uber-Arminianism and Uber-Calvinism, and if you aren't one you ERGO are other. Then they prove Arminianism wrong and shout "ERGO Calvinism is right!" It's absurd and laughable (and illogical). I think MennoSota is just doing what so many Calvinist apologetists and Calvinist websites try to do, just echoing that absurd and illogical argument.

Josiah is an arminianist! nanananana

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:
And yes, PART of the discussion involves definitions. You like to throw the word "grace" around a lot to make it SOUND as if you're agreeing with Protestants and that Protestants SHOULD believe Catholics are right on this topic. But as we both know, the word is typically meant differently. While both Protestants and Catholics use the word variously, what we mean in the context of narrow justification is quite different: Protestants mean a free gift, a divine blessing, something ENTIRELY from God to us - without ANY human thought or action involved. Catholics defined it to us: "It's God's empowering and help. Grace is like the spiritual gas God puts in our tank so that we can get ourselves where we need to be." Opposite definitions of the word. So YES, as we both know, Catholics may choose to SOUND Protestant (weird that they want to) but we all know what they mean is the exact opposite of what the Protestant does. It's just misleading for the Catholic to say to a Protestant, "We believe we are saved by grace alone" when they KNOW they mean the opposite of what the Protestant means by taht thus making the statement misleading; the honest Catholic would go on to say what Catholicism MEANS by "grace" in the context of justification so that the Protestant realizes how synergistic Catholicism typically is.

BTW, at websites, I've seen Catholics engage in the Arminian/Calvinist war - and it's ALWAYS purely, exclusively on the Arminianist side. Although I agree, they usually stay out of the fight (as typically do Lutherans and Anglicans).

I have no difficulty avoiding it. We're saved by grace through faith for the purpose of the good works that God has prepared for the faithful to do. That isn't synergism and it isn't monergism it is grace.

... note what I posted to you.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If so MoreCoffee, they are obviously wrong.
It is impossible to avoid the issue and Catholics do not avoid it.
Well, we know at least one Catholic who is working very hard to avoid it.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
LOL, uber-Calvinist, what a great imagination and coined word that means absolutely nothing. [emoji23] Same with uber-Arminian.
Better to stick with Calvinist, semi-pelagian and Arminian.
Lutherans mainly fall in the semi-pelagian camp. A semi-pelagian is also a synergist.
If that is confusing, let's look at it this way.
The Remonstrants (Arminians) presented 5 points to summarize their faith. If you agree with all 5, you are an Arminian.
The Calvinists responded with 5 points in refutation to summarize their faith. If you agree with all 5, you are a Calvinist.
Those who bounce around, picking a few from Calvin and a few from Arminius are semi-pelagian synergists.
Most people will fall in that spectrum where they pick and choose because they can imagine they believe in God's sovereignty and their own sovereignty at the same time.
A Calvinist will hold to the 5 solas. Others may claim the 5 solas, but their doctrine contradicts their claim.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
LOL, uber-Calvinist, what a great imagination and coined word that means absolutely nothing.
You're a fan of the term "Hyper-Calvinist" perhaps.

Lutherans mainly fall in the semi-pelagian camp. A semi-pelagian is also a synergist.
Then Lutherans are among the most notable opponents ever of both pelagianism and synergism.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
LOL, uber-Calvinist, what a great imagination and coined word that means absolutely nothing. [emoji23] Same with uber-Arminian.
Better to stick with Calvinist, semi-pelagian and Arminian.
If that is confusing, let's look at it this way.
The Remonstrants (Arminians) presented 5 points to summarize their faith. If you agree with all 5, you are an Arminian.
The Calvinists responded with 5 points in refutation to summarize their faith. If you agree with all 5, you are a Calvinist.
Those who bounce around, picking a few from Calvin and a few from Arminius are semi-pelagian synergists.
Most people will fall in that spectrum where they pick and choose because they can imagine they believe in God's sovereignty and their own sovereignty at the same time.
A Calvinist will hold to the 5 solas. Others may claim the 5 solas, but their doctrine contradicts their claim.

It seems you either don't know what Lutherans believe or you're confusing the definitions of some terminology.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
You're a fan of the term "Hyper-Calvinist" perhaps.

Then Lutherans are among the most notable opponents ever of both pelagianism and synergism.

Hyper-calvinist may only apply to the person who refuses to share the good news because he says God has already elected, therefore I don't have to share. That is not me.

Share how a group that believes their act of baptism secures salvation is a position that a monergist holds.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It seems you either don't know what Lutherans believe or you're confusing the definitions of some terminology.
Lutherans are all over the map, from narrow Wisconsin synod, to liberal ELCA, to the Free-will Lutherans. I live in the very heartland of American Lutheran world. What is clear is that most are synergists.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lutherans are all over the map, from narrow Wisconsin synod, to liberal ELCA, to the Free-will Lutherans. I live in the very heartland of American Lutheran world. What is clear is that most are synergists.

No, Lutherans are NOT all over the map. Perhaps there are some uneducated Lutherans who no longer follow the Book of Concord, but then again, they aren't really considered "Lutheran". Lutherans are in no way synergists. Could you please tell me your definition of the word (I asked once already)?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No, Lutherans are NOT all over the map. Perhaps there are some uneducated Lutherans who no longer follow the Book of Concord, but then again, they aren't really considered "Lutheran". Lutherans are in no way synergists. Could you please tell me your definition of the word (I asked once already)?

Are you playing the No True Scotsman game with Lutheranism?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Since you persist in repeating that mantra about Lutherans and synergism, the ONLY WAY it can make any sense is if you are speaking of individual persons you know who do not understand their own religion terribly well.

That would probably be more likely in a part of the country where there are many Lutherans who grew up with the faith than in other regions of the country. And of course it is true of many other denominations as well; their members, when quizzed, often express beliefs that are shockingly out of step with what their church actually teaches and believes.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are you playing the No True Scotsman game with Lutheranism?

Not at all. There might be people who go to a Lutheran church who believe differently than what Lutherans believe, but Lutherans subscribe to the Book of Concord as the true exposition of what the Bible teaches. If they do not hold to what the Book of Concord believes then they by definition are not Lutheran.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. There might be people who go to a Lutheran church who believe differently than what Lutherans believe, but Lutherans subscribe to the Book of Concord as the true exposition of what the Bible teaches. If they do not hold to what the Book of Concord believes then they by definition are not Lutheran.
Is the book of concord inspired by God? [emoji56]

Top Bottom