• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Results 101 to 110 of 271

    Christian Theology - Thread: Why are Some Saved and Not Others?

    1. #101
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is online now Veteran Member
      33
      Single
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      1,623
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,964
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      7,442
      Level
      26
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.48%
      Rep Power
      223
      I just had a conversation with my parents about infant baptism, my niece hasn't been baptised because her dad is atheist and a non practising Jehovah's Witness... but according to what the church taught them you are absolutely 100% saved and OSAS when you are baptised in the Catholic church. My argument was likewise but that baptism should come a little later when the child is conscious of what sin is, Jesus took a child and said that unless you are as he you will not see the kingdom, so children are innocent in the eyes of God, also Jesus was 30 when he got baptised. So are all baptised saved? Is it just a matter of what faith you were born into? The bible says you must be baptised and Catholics see it as saved and unsaved, baptised and non baptised.

      Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

    2. #102
      Josiah's Avatar
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      6,084
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      117,546
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      61,496
      Level
      61
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      77.94%
      Rep Power
      846
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      I just had a conversation with my parents about infant baptism, my niece hasn't been baptised because her dad is atheist and a non practising Jehovah's Witness... but according to what the church taught them you are absolutely 100% saved and OSAS when you are baptised in the Catholic church. My argument was likewise but that baptism should come a little later when the child is conscious of what sin is, Jesus took a child and said that unless you are as he you will not see the kingdom, so children are innocent in the eyes of God, also Jesus was 30 when he got baptised. So are all baptised saved? Is it just a matter of what faith you were born into? The bible says you must be baptised and Catholics see it as saved and unsaved, baptised and non baptised.

      This thread is not about Baptism, infant baptism or OSAS. There are threads concerning all those things here at CH but this isn't one of them. I think your understanding of the Catholic position on all those issues is incorrect but again, you can find that discussion in those threads.


      IMO, the issue of why are some saved and not others is not simply and exclusively addressed by who is and is not baptized (whether received before or after the age of "X").
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

    3. #103
      atpollard is offline Prodigy Member
      56
      Married
      Mood:
      Sad
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Posts
      785
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      3,209
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (10,500 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      6,087
      Level
      24
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      12.32%
      Rep Power
      191
      Why are some saved and not other?

      Because God loves some more than others.
      So the question then becomes, why does God love some more than others?
      To which I respond: How should I know? Ask God.

    4. #104
      Josiah's Avatar
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      6,084
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      117,546
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      61,496
      Level
      61
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      77.94%
      Rep Power
      846
      Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
      Why are some saved and not other?

      Because God loves some more than others.
      So the question then becomes, why does God love some more than others?
      To which I respond: How should I know? Ask God.

      I disagree with your theory (that God loves some more than others).

      But I agree with your "bottom line" .... the answer to the question of this thread is unknown to us. I'd add, and all the human conjectures so far put forward are all very problematic. Best to keep unknowns as unknowns (although that requires more humility than many have)
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

    5. #105
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      14,612
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      193,997
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (104,387 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      179,810
      Level
      89
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      88.18%
      Rep Power
      759
      Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
      Why are some saved and not other?

      Because God loves some more than others.
      So the question then becomes, why does God love some more than others?
      To which I respond: How should I know? Ask God.
      For God so loved the world...

      Could you state where scriptures specifically state that God loves some more than others in regards for salvation?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    6. #106
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,138
      CH Cash
      13,257
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      13,410
      Level
      33
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      74.13%
      Rep Power
      349
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      IMO, the issue of why are some saved and not others is not simply and exclusively addressed by

      who is and is not baptized (whether received before or after the age of "X").
      Wrong.
      Baptism has nothing to do with God's choosing to adopt or not adopt someone. You make it salvation by works, which is anathema.
      God chose whom He willed with no information given to you or me regarding his process of choosing. All he tells us is that whomever he chose, it was purely because he was gracious. It had NOTHING to do with water baptism.

    7. #107
      Josiah's Avatar
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      6,084
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      117,546
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      61,496
      Level
      61
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      77.94%
      Rep Power
      846
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      Wrong.
      Baptism has nothing to do with God's choosing to adopt or not adopt someone. You make it salvation by works, which is anathema.
      God chose whom He willed with no information given to you or me regarding his process of choosing. All he tells us is that whomever he chose, it was purely because he was gracious. It had NOTHING to do with water baptism.
      I never remotely indicated that it did.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

    8. #108
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,138
      CH Cash
      13,257
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      13,410
      Level
      33
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      74.13%
      Rep Power
      349
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      I never remotely indicated that it did.
      Here's what you wrote:

      IMO, the issue of why are some saved and not others is not simply and exclusively addressed by

      who is and is not baptized (whether received before or after the age of "X").
      You explicitly say that baptism is the exclusive determiner of who is saved and who is not saved. You couldn't be more clear.
      Sadly, you are clearly wrong.

    9. #109
      Albion's Avatar
      Albion is online now Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      1,855
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      9,368
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      13,862
      Level
      34
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      21.2%
      Rep Power
      423
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      Here's what you wrote:
      You explicitly say that baptism is the exclusive determiner of who is saved and who is not saved. You couldn't be more clear.
      Sadly, you are clearly wrong.
      Hmmm. It's odd that you could read what Josiah wrote and take from it the exact opposite of what he said.

    10. #110
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,138
      CH Cash
      13,257
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      13,410
      Level
      33
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      74.13%
      Rep Power
      349
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      Hmmm. It's odd that you could read what Josiah wrote and take from it the exact opposite of what he said.
      I quoted exactly what he said. It's odd that you could take what he said and make it say something else.

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •