It's all a mystery yet even quantum mechanics sees it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Okay, the sciences are generally thought to be either God negative or God neutral but when you look at what is said with some care some interesting God positive sounding things are said.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm following my policy of not discussing science here..... but...... (lol)

My sister has a Ph.D. in biology and I in physics. Both of us are strong, active Christians (she Catholic, I'm Lutheran). And we often discuss the interaction of religion and science.

In the PHYSICAL sciences, there is no war. Many are very comfortable with the idea of the divine. While the percentage of TRADITIONAL CHRISTIANS is probably notably smaller than in the general population, there often a sense of the supernatural. Some are forms of deists, some are forms of Monism (there has often been a keen interest in Hinduism among some physicists) but there is a lot of comfort with the supernatural - NOT because physics necessarily requires such but physics certainly doesn't forbid such. Indeed, especially in theoretical physics, there is even the implication that MUCH "super" natural (at least as "natural" implies to US as WE relate to OUR "world") very likely exists. My being a very passionate Christian has NEVER been a problem at all, while some fellow scientists disagree with me, they've NEVER done so from the standpoint of physical sciences (in fact, on THAT perspective, they give me credence).

In the BIOLOGICAL sciences, it's very different. While my sister insists she's NEVER faced any discrimination and notes several in her lab who regard themselves as Christians, there is a negativity toward at least "funamentalists" forms of Christianity which biologists insist are "at war" with them and (to the point) against truth. What they see as a hatred of TRUTH is what causes them to reject their religion. My sister (being Catholic) is able to accept evolution (for example) and still be a "good" Catholic... she sharing with her friends that she sees Christianity as true - and thus can't be untrue. The "problem" she says is not that Christianity defense falsehood but rather well meaning and sincere Christians have been wrong in their interpretation and understanding of things. That tends to be accepted. But she notes that the "knee jerk" reaction to ANY religion in the biological sciences seems to be negative, whereas in the physical sciences I think it tends to at least be neutral and often quite interested.

- Josiah

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My sister has a Ph.D. in biology and I in physics. ...

Interesting. My degrees are in Chemistry and Pure Mathematics.

Top Bottom