• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 38

    Life & Relationships - Thread: When do you put the Christmas tree up?

    1. #1
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline moderator
      Moderator
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,145
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      11,709
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      11,527
      Level
      31
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.64%
      Rep Power
      327

      When do you put the Christmas tree up?

      I was curious about how long you wait to put the Christmas tree up? We normally put ours up right after Thanksgiving. I put mine up today, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

      On a side note, isn't it crazy how early retail stores are putting up Christmas stuff? I think I saw some trees and stuff around Halloween.

    2. #2
      MoreCoffee's Avatar
      MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      14,573
      CH Cash
      12,849
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      39,766
      Level
      52
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.68%
      Rep Power
      598
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      I was curious about how long you wait to put the Christmas tree up? We normally put ours up right after Thanksgiving. I put mine up today, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

      On a side note, isn't it crazy how early retail stores are putting up Christmas stuff? I think I saw some trees and stuff around Halloween.
      Technically Christmas season does not start until Christmas eve after sunset.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

      He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

    3. #3
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      14,148
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      21,658
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (96,863 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      163,913
      Level
      87
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      19.33%
      Rep Power
      708
      We usually put up our Christmas stuff the first weekend in December. Yes, MC is correct that this is technically not the Christmas season for the churches but Advent but I don't shop on Christmas Eve for gifts, nor do I have time to put up my tree that day
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    4. #4
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline moderator
      Moderator
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,145
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      11,709
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      11,527
      Level
      31
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.64%
      Rep Power
      327
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Technically Christmas season does not start until Christmas eve after sunset.
      That wasn't my question though.

    5. #5
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline moderator
      Moderator
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,145
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      11,709
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      11,527
      Level
      31
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.64%
      Rep Power
      327
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      We usually put up our Christmas stuff the first weekend in December. Yes, MC is correct that this is technically not the Christmas season for the churches but Advent but I don't shop on Christmas Eve for gifts, nor do I have time to put up my tree that day
      about 20 years ago I worked at a retail store and I saw one of my coworkers get cussed out on Christmas eve in the girl's department. I was thinking to myself you wait until now to get something specific after we've had about 20 sales? Really.

    6. #6
      Josiah's Avatar
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      5,950
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      116,738
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      56,116
      Level
      59
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      70.16%
      Rep Power
      787
      My "tradition" growing up is that it went up Christmas Eve morning (and we had real trees - which were CHEAP on that day!) We had an Advent wreath until then (and did daily devotions with it).

      But my wife's tradition is that it goes up soon after Thanksgiving... and together we've adopted that. AND also the Advent Wreath tradition. We can't decide what season it is, lol
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

    7. #7
      Imalive's Avatar
      Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,315
      Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      497,906
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      10,558
      Level
      30
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.45%
      Rep Power
      267
      First Santa 5 december before they may come w christmas stuff. if i buy one it'll be last minute.

    8. #8
      MoreCoffee's Avatar
      MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      14,573
      CH Cash
      12,849
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      39,766
      Level
      52
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.68%
      Rep Power
      598
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      That wasn't my question though.
      But you don't put up the tree until Christmas season. Families used to decorate the tree together and place the presents under the tree on Christmas eve. That is not how people do it now because the meaning of the things done on Christmas eve is forgotten.

      IN some countries the tree was placed at the beginning of advent and then progressively decorated each Sunday in advent until the final decorations were placed on Christmas eve.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

      He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

    9. #9
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline moderator
      Moderator
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,145
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      11,709
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      11,527
      Level
      31
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.64%
      Rep Power
      327
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      But you don't put up the tree until Christmas season. Families used to decorate the tree together and place the presents under the tree on Christmas eve. That is not how people do it now because the meaning of the things done on Christmas eve is forgotten.

      IN some countries the tree was placed at the beginning of advent and then progressively decorated each Sunday in advent until the final decorations were placed on Christmas eve.
      I told my wife that I didn't want to put up the tree this year. I wanted to do something different. I'm still going to. It seems christmas has become so materialistic and secular. I want to spend my christmas helping someone else.

    10. #10
      MoreCoffee's Avatar
      MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      14,573
      CH Cash
      12,849
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      39,766
      Level
      52
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.68%
      Rep Power
      598
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      I told my wife that I didn't want to put up the tree this year. I wanted to do something different. I'm still going to. It seems christmas has become so materialistic and secular. I want to spend my christmas helping someone else.
      I've never put up a tree myself. They are pretty and all but never seem essential. Try setting aside some money each week (or day) in advent and then give it to the needy.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

      He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •