Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I was curious about how long you wait to put the Christmas tree up? We normally put ours up right after Thanksgiving. I put mine up today, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

On a side note, isn't it crazy how early retail stores are putting up Christmas stuff? I think I saw some trees and stuff around Halloween.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I was curious about how long you wait to put the Christmas tree up? We normally put ours up right after Thanksgiving. I put mine up today, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

On a side note, isn't it crazy how early retail stores are putting up Christmas stuff? I think I saw some trees and stuff around Halloween.

Technically Christmas season does not start until Christmas eve after sunset.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We usually put up our Christmas stuff the first weekend in December. Yes, MC is correct that this is technically not the Christmas season for the churches but Advent but I don't shop on Christmas Eve for gifts, nor do I have time to put up my tree that day ;)

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We usually put up our Christmas stuff the first weekend in December. Yes, MC is correct that this is technically not the Christmas season for the churches but Advent but I don't shop on Christmas Eve for gifts, nor do I have time to put up my tree that day ;)

about 20 years ago I worked at a retail store and I saw one of my coworkers get cussed out on Christmas eve in the girl's department. I was thinking to myself you wait until now to get something specific after we've had about 20 sales? Really.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My "tradition" growing up is that it went up Christmas Eve morning (and we had real trees - which were CHEAP on that day!) We had an Advent wreath until then (and did daily devotions with it).

But my wife's tradition is that it goes up soon after Thanksgiving... and together we've adopted that. AND also the Advent Wreath tradition. We can't decide what season it is, lol

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
First Santa 5 december before they may come w christmas stuff. if i buy one it'll be last minute.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That wasn't my question though.

But you don't put up the tree until Christmas season. Families used to decorate the tree together and place the presents under the tree on Christmas eve. That is not how people do it now because the meaning of the things done on Christmas eve is forgotten.

IN some countries the tree was placed at the beginning of advent and then progressively decorated each Sunday in advent until the final decorations were placed on Christmas eve.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But you don't put up the tree until Christmas season. Families used to decorate the tree together and place the presents under the tree on Christmas eve. That is not how people do it now because the meaning of the things done on Christmas eve is forgotten.

IN some countries the tree was placed at the beginning of advent and then progressively decorated each Sunday in advent until the final decorations were placed on Christmas eve.

I told my wife that I didn't want to put up the tree this year. I wanted to do something different. I'm still going to. It seems christmas has become so materialistic and secular. I want to spend my christmas helping someone else.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I told my wife that I didn't want to put up the tree this year. I wanted to do something different. I'm still going to. It seems christmas has become so materialistic and secular. I want to spend my christmas helping someone else.

I've never put up a tree myself. They are pretty and all but never seem essential. Try setting aside some money each week (or day) in advent and then give it to the needy.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've never put up a tree myself. They are pretty and all but never seem essential. Try setting aside some money each week (or day) in advent and then give it to the needy.

I was thinking of helping out at the shelter this Christmas. It seems odd to me that we have taken a holiday that is suppose to focus on Christ and his incarnation and made it into a selfish holiday of getting stuff

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I was thinking of helping out at the shelter this Christmas. It seems odd to me that we have taken a holiday that is suppose to focus on Christ and his incarnation and made it into a selfish holiday of getting stuff

For business owners who want profits making Christmas into a celebration of excessive spending and excessive eating is great, they get what they want and they need never think of mercy, grace and Jesus Christ.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
As soon as I get my lazy butt down to the basement to get my ugly tree out of my locker and decide where I am going to put it this year..:taz::groupheads:

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Never. I don't celebrate 'Christ'mas, exchange gifts or set up trees for multiple reasons, including spiritual ones. I may give a gift, but this has nothing to do with what I see as a misguided tradition.

I don't celebrate new year either. Whenever the true new year starts, it certainly isn't with Janus - Roman god of "new beginnings". And what's more, it's probably a news flash to most people blinded by the false calendar - but there are actually 13 lunar cycles every solar year, not 12. But yay for the 12 Disciples getting instructed alone but by the Blinding Light of the Sun! :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Society focuses on selfish stuff but I still see churches collecting for the poor and going out to help where needed. There are a lot of ministries going on in the name of Jesus which show love for our neighbor.

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
When I was working with children it used to go up 1st December every year, but when I packed up working going on 6 years ago now with children, when I feel like it to be honest, I'm not a fan of christmas anymore, since my lovely Mum died the day after christmas and that was the worse christmas we have ever had, and now all it means is sadness mainly, but last year I didn't put a tree up just didn;t seem worth it and my hubby and daughter agreed ,but I just decorated with lights instead and will do the same again this year just in honour of my mum as she and my dad loved christmas when we where kids..
now that was christmas to remember then...

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I was working with children it used to go up 1st December every year, but when I packed up working going on 6 years ago now with children, when I feel like it to be honest, I'm not a fan of christmas anymore, since my lovely Mum died the day after christmas and that was the worse christmas we have ever had, and now all it means is sadness mainly, but last year I didn't put a tree up just didn;t seem worth it and my hubby and daughter agreed ,but I just decorated with lights instead and will do the same again this year just in honour of my mum as she and my dad loved christmas when we where kids..
now that was christmas to remember then...

Yes, it is not a happy holiday for a lot of people. It highlights sometimes who isn't with us anymore. I get that.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Technically Christmas season does not start until Christmas eve after sunset.

That doesn't leave long for stores to sell the endless mountains of doodads to a horde of eager shoppers ;)

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No Christmas tree for us this year. Partly the house is in a state of flux with all the renovations and partly because I fear what would happen when the cat and the tree came together. Maybe next year I'll get one of the fiber optic things that doesn't need endless time hanging baubles all over it but does look festive.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That doesn't leave long for stores to sell the endless mountains of doodads to a horde of eager shoppers ;)

Yes. Isn't that wonderful :)

Top Bottom