Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
So as you all know I attend a Pentecostal church. I believe I was called to this church because of something that happened to me out of no where 3 years ago that lead me there, im not sure why tho. I enjoy the intimacy of the brethren and the freedom of worship in the church. I love the sermons they preach as well, I agree with them as long as they dont trail off into boasting and works or lack thereof.
Sometimes they say things that are irrational and unbiblical.
Such claims "no tongues no salvation", we can "lose salvation through bad works" or "sustain salvation through good works", no "salvation outside the church" etc.
I am actually becoming more enlightened to the truth and the meaning of the word "Godhead" as triune or at least "made up of more than one...", something the Pentecostal belt would consider a form of backsliding or heretical.
A few weeks ago I was at a home bible study with a brother and a few sisters in faith. one of the sisters suffers from bipolar disorder and completely discontinued her medication because she was in fear that it was sinful and was preventing her "Holy living" necessary for salvation. It was a disaster, she was crying and got in a long debate about how she would rather burn in hell with her kids if they were going to hell for not going to church. She was upset about her loved ones who passed away because they were not baptised in the name of Jesus. She even asked if she could still pray for them and the brother said "no" and then feeling some conviction said "i dont know, only God can judge".
I wish I could have taken her outside and told her to get back on her meds (she eventually did after calling the police and filing a false report on her husband). I would have told her that God loves you and your children and your loved ones and by the death and resurrection of his Son Jesus Christ and by your belief through him they are saved.
I have been weighing out the pros and cons of my church and the cons are really piling up.
I feel they undermine my knowledge of scripture and many converts to the church fall short of any biblical education mostly because they were raised in a catholic setting that might have just left them more confused than educated. In my case I needed answers and went straight to the source many years ago before even trying to seek a church.
I usher now only on sundays because I need my work hours and people at work just saw me as pompous for leaving throughout the work week to attend church, I have to break out proving the brethren my dedication to God by man pleasing, but I can admit that at least, that I must have been doing this if I felt I had to.
So my question to a Christian would simply be... Church suggestions? lol

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Find a denomination or a church that adheres to the Nicene creed and is honest about morals and doctrine.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Another question.
Is it normal to find a church that you agree with 100% or is there always most certainly a "catch" involved that you just simply have to accept even tho it's not like minded of you?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
So as you all know I attend a Pentecostal church. I believe I was called to this church because of something that happened to me out of no where 3 years ago that lead me there, im not sure why tho. I enjoy the intimacy of the brethren and the freedom of worship in the church. I love the sermons they preach as well, I agree with them as long as they dont trail off into boasting and works or lack thereof.
Such claims "no tongues no salvation", we can "lose salvation through bad works" or "sustain salvation through good works", no "salvation outside the church" etc.
I am actually becoming more enlightened to the truth and the meaning of the word "Godhead" as triune or at least "made up of more than one...", something the Pentecostal belt would consider a form of backsliding or heretical.
A few weeks ago I was at a home bible study with a brother and a few sisters in faith. one of the sisters suffers from bipolar disorder and completely discontinued her medication because she was in fear that it was sinful and was preventing her "Holy living" necessary for salvation. It was a disaster, she was crying and got in a long debate about how she would rather burn in hell with her kids if they were going to hell for not going to church. She was upset about her loved ones who passed away because they were not baptised in the name of Jesus. She even asked if she could still pray for them and the brother said "no" and then feeling some conviction said "i dont know, only God can judge".
I wish I could have taken her outside and told her to get back on her meds (she eventually did after calling the police and filing a false report on her husband). I would have told her that God loves you and your children and your loved ones and by the death and resurrection of his Son Jesus Christ and by your belief through him they are saved.
I have been weighing out the pros and cons of my church and the cons are really piling up.
I feel they undermine my knowledge of scripture and many converts to the church fall short of any biblical education mostly because they were raised in a catholic setting that might have just left them more confused than educated. In my case I needed answers and went straight to the source many years ago before even trying to seek a church.
I usher now only on sundays because I need my work hours and people at work just saw me as pompous for leaving throughout the work week to attend church, I have to break out proving the brethren my dedication to God by man pleasing, but I can admit that at least, that I must have been doing this if I felt I had to.

Where do you live? Larry Stockstills church was good.
I'll pray God brings you to a good one where He wants you. He used them to save you. I didnt stay where I got saved. That was just the reason He sent me there. They could lead others to Christ very good.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Another question.
Is it normal to find a church that you agree with 100% or is there always most certainly a "catch" involved that you just simply have to accept even tho it's not like minded of you?

I think it depends on your expectations. Do not choose a church that you disagree with on important matters because that will make your life miserable. There is give and take in every relationship and that includes your relationship with a church. Be prepared to change your thinking on matters when the evidence makes that necessary.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I am in one I agree 100 percent with. Find a small one maybe.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I am in one I agree 100 percent with. Find a small one maybe.

Small churches are awesome. They tend to keep you accountable and they're also a wonderful support in faith and in life too, really.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Small churches are awesome. They tend to keep you accountable and they're also a wonderful support in faith and in life too, really.

As long as they are part of something bigger that can keep the leaders accountable.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Where do you live? Larry Stockstills church was good.
I'll pray God brings you to a good one where He wants you. He used them to save you. I didnt stay where I got saved. That was just the reason He sent me there. They could lead others to Christ very good.
I live 20 miles south of Houston Tx. Yes indeed I was hit with the Spirit at a divine intervention at a Pentecostal rescue service in the middle of town square 3 years ago. I showed up there trying to catch my girlfriend in the act of cheating, my entire life transformed within minutes. So I do hold it very special to my heart and respect to God, the church I go to now is not even the church that "showed" me. The church I go to feels like home but Lord help me if I stay in any longer I might just have to nail my thesis to the church doors lol.
I suppose the best I could do is learn to communicate properly to those involved when it comes to contradictions, so many people come out believing that only that church is saved and that everyone you see in town is going to hell pretty much. That strongly convicts my faith and its just not right, this is a very literal eternal hell for all outside the church that they are preaching about, something I disagree should be taught unless symbolically or by parables or something but not so boldly as claimed, unless you speak tongues you will go to hell is basically what they mean even tho they wont admit to that. Im sure this is just this specific church and only taught by a few radical people in it but it doesnt sit well with me even tho I claim to speak tongues i dont feel it saves me from hell, that is insane.
Maybe I will try the first church.

What about alternating between denominations? Sounds interesting do people do that?

Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Its a small church but some of the best people there are the ones that really push Holy living which requires attending every service (3 times a week, 5 if you include prayer and study days) they tend to assume that you must have had some emergency to not show up on a Wednesday LOL no joke either [emoji14]

Last edited:

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've attended a few Apostolic churches a few times each just to get my own feel for the whole thing. I believe the members are sincere but they do have some wrong doctrines and practices.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
My 2cents:

God's word should point you toward a church.
Do some Google research of churches in your area.
Go to their website and read their statement of faith.
Consider if the statement encourages salvation by works or by grace alone.
Consider if the church demands absolute loyalty to their leadership or if they point you toward God.
Is God glorified in what they present on their website?
Choose about 5 churches and then go visit them. Observe areas that you are comfortable with and areas that make you wonder what is going on.
Listen to the songs, testimonies and sermon. Do they all glorify God and His absolute sovereignty (not the churches rule).
Go to all the churches on your list before making a decision.
Pray for God's guidance.
Finally...No, you cannot find a perfect church. We Christians are flawed and we bring our corrupt nature into the congregation. There will be areas where you wish the body was a bit different. But, if the overiding aim of the body is to glorify God and have self reduced to the background, you will likely be able to find sweet fellowship.
That's just my thoughts...

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

If I remember right your in the Houston area. So there are hundreds of churches around you. I would start if I were you visiting online and listening to sermons of churches near you. That may narrow down your choices. There are plenty of non denominational churches near you and I would start there just based on my conversations with you. You can always expand your search from there. Commit it to prayer.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I've attended a few Apostolic churches a few times each just to get my own feel for the whole thing. I believe the members are sincere but they do have some wrong doctrines and practices.
Win some lose some. Thats my main concern, the reason I turned from Catholicism was mainly having to deal with the huge tower of babylonian stylized rituals that became to confusing for me to maintain, although they did keep a fair repetition of devoting deep meditative prayer, very humble. The Pentecostal Apostolic church is pro-freedom worship, I tend to get caught up in the spirit of devote worship and praise emotionally and actively, good sermons but like learning to walk, it takes some getting used to liberate and not care what people think, downside is the sense of isolation not of the world but in Christianity in general, we are humbled in our humiliation however the rejection and label of being a cult by other christians can get to you. Im not even allowed to post in the Christian Theology section but I understand why, the doctrines of Pentecostalism are not mainstream Christianity and I cant agree with all pentecostal teaching.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My 2cents:

God's word should point you toward a church.
Do some Google research of churches in your area.
Go to their website and read their statement of faith.
Consider if the statement encourages salvation by works or by grace alone.
Consider if the church demands absolute loyalty to their leadership or if they point you toward God.
Is God glorified in what they present on their website?
Choose about 5 churches and then go visit them. Observe areas that you are comfortable with and areas that make you wonder what is going on.
Listen to the songs, testimonies and sermon. Do they all glorify God and His absolute sovereignty (not the churches rule).
Go to all the churches on your list before making a decision.
Pray for God's guidance.
Finally...No, you cannot find a perfect church. We Christians are flawed and we bring our corrupt nature into the congregation. There will be areas where you wish the body was a bit different. But, if the overiding aim of the body is to glorify God and have self reduced to the background, you will likely be able to find sweet fellowship.
That's just my thoughts...
Wow, great value in those two cents thanks.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Thanks makes sense! I never actually go to Houston because it literally takes 30 minutes to get to a place you can see the whole way there lol it would take me over an hour to get to a church in Houston (i live 40 minutes outside Houston) but I may eventually move back there. There is actually quite the list of different churches in my newspapers.
Anyone have suggestions on a "good news" church or denomination?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Visiting other churches will help you get a feel for how you click with the other congregants and to see if bible studies are being done or if they are into missions or reaching out in the community.

But more importantly for me is if doctrine is as close to what is in the bible is teaching. Now, I think it was asked if we agree 100% with the church we're at and I doubt anyone will say yet. But I'm really high up there in percentage in my agreement so yes, of course I would recommend you visiting a Lutheran church.

If you're confused on doctrine, look to see how the early church did things. If history is disagreeing with what you find in the churches today and their practices are newer, you have to ask if that's where you should be?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
If you must attend 'church' - and 'church' as it is typically defined and practiced in the west (Sunday or Saturday services, communal worship, and listening to the 'leader' (aka Rabbi, spiritual pastor etc), then wherever you go, you are likely to be disappointed in something about that church. It may cause you less angst and confusion than your present one, but for the sake of fellowship I think you'll find that something's got to give. You may hold certain doctrines dear, and the church you feel comfortable in may have different views of them.

I don't want to say I fully appreciate your current situation (as I cannot possibly know all the details of it), but I can say that I have attended a variety of churches in my life (Lutheran, Methodist, Pentecostal) and while I felt more comfortable in some rather than others for varying reasons, there was always something that didn't sit right with me - in terms of doctrine or conflicting doctrine or just plain double mindedness with some biblical matters.

It took me not attending any church for a long time to see the problems, but that doesn't help you at all. As you are asking advice under the presumption that you will be attending some church, then you will have to pick one, and whichever one it is, there will be some level of conflict (in doctrine) and some level of confusion (because of it). Different denominations focus on different writings, often to the exclusion of others even if it's not so stated - that is a fact.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thanks makes sense! I never actually go to Houston because it literally takes 30 minutes to get to a place you can see the whole way there lol it would take me over an hour to get to a church in Houston (i live 40 minutes outside Houston) but I may eventually move back there. There is actually quite the list of different churches in my newspapers.
Anyone have suggestions on a "good news" church or denomination?

40 minutes and your probably not even to the outer loop they are building there. I grew up in Spring and when we moved there back in the 70's it was in the country and now i don't recognize it when I go back. What was cow pasture is now neighborhoods. Somehow it is depressing to me.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
40 minutes and your probably not even to the outer loop they are building there. I grew up in Spring and when we moved there back in the 70's it was in the country and now i don't recognize it when I go back. What was cow pasture is now neighborhoods. Somehow it is depressing to me.
I just moved back from Spring last year. The crime rate in middle class neighborhoods are alarming thats why I moved out of it. Especially during the holidays, they follow you home from Christmas shopping and they pull up to you at night when you stop (before you turn off the ignition) and at gun point you are forced out then they drive your car away, by the time the cops locate it all of your stuff is gone. They have to pay cops extra just to drive through more often but its still bad, also in the bumper to bumper traffic you got a lot of hookers, drug dealers and scammers coming up to you its not good at all.

Top Bottom