CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.37%

Doubts in my Church

So as you all know I attend a Pentecostal church. I believe I was called to this church because of something that happened to me out of no where 3 years ago that lead me there, im not sure why tho. I enjoy the intimacy of the brethren and the freedom of worship in the church. I love the sermons they preach as well, I agree with them as long as they dont trail off into boasting and works or lack thereof.
      Sometimes they say things that are irrational and unbiblical.
      Such claims "no tongues no salvation", we can "lose salvation through bad works" or "sustain salvation through good works", no "salvation outside the church" etc.
      I am actually becoming more enlightened to the truth and the meaning of the word "Godhead" as triune or at least "made up of more than one...", something the Pentecostal belt would consider a form of backsliding or heretical.
      A few weeks ago I was at a home bible study with a brother and a few sisters in faith. one of the sisters suffers from bipolar disorder and completely discontinued her medication because she was in fear that it was sinful and was preventing her "Holy living" necessary for salvation. It was a disaster, she was crying and got in a long debate about how she would rather burn in hell with her kids if they were going to hell for not going to church. She was upset about her loved ones who passed away because they were not baptised in the name of Jesus. She even asked if she could still pray for them and the brother said "no" and then feeling some conviction said "i dont know, only God can judge".
      I wish I could have taken her outside and told her to get back on her meds (she eventually did after calling the police and filing a false report on her husband). I would have told her that God loves you and your children and your loved ones and by the death and resurrection of his Son Jesus Christ and by your belief through him they are saved.
      I have been weighing out the pros and cons of my church and the cons are really piling up.
      I feel they undermine my knowledge of scripture and many converts to the church fall short of any biblical education mostly because they were raised in a catholic setting that might have just left them more confused than educated. In my case I needed answers and went straight to the source many years ago before even trying to seek a church.
      I usher now only on sundays because I need my work hours and people at work just saw me as pompous for leaving throughout the work week to attend church, I have to break out proving the brethren my dedication to God by man pleasing, but I can admit that at least, that I must have been doing this if I felt I had to.
      So my question to a Christian would simply be... Church suggestions? lol

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Andrew; 11-22-2017 at 11:02 AM.

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Fading awa...

Mood:
      Secret

Country
      Vatican
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.11%
      Find a denomination or a church that adheres to the Nicene creed and is honest about morals and doctrine.
      Saint Jude, author of the new testament letter.

He is the patron of impossible causes because the scriptural Letter of St. Jude, which he authored, urges Christians to persevere in difficult times.

Hidden Content

3. Likes Confessional Lutheran, Andrew, Tigger liked this post
      Andrew is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Awesome

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.37%
      Another question.
      Is it normal to find a church that you agree with 100% or is there always most certainly a "catch" involved that you just simply have to accept even tho it's not like minded of you?

Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      So as you all know I attend a Pentecostal church. I believe I was called to this church because of something that happened to me out of no where 3 years ago that lead me there, im not sure why tho. I enjoy the intimacy of the brethren and the freedom of worship in the church. I love the sermons they preach as well, I agree with them as long as they dont trail off into boasting and works or lack thereof.
      Sometimes they say things that are irrational and unbiblical.
      Such claims "no tongues no salvation", we can "lose salvation through bad works" or "sustain salvation through good works", no "salvation outside the church" etc.
      I am actually becoming more enlightened to the truth and the meaning of the word "Godhead" as triune or at least "made up of more than one...", something the Pentecostal belt would consider a form of backsliding or heretical.
      A few weeks ago I was at a home bible study with a brother and a few sisters in faith. one of the sisters suffers from bipolar disorder and completely discontinued her medication because she was in fear that it was sinful and was preventing her "Holy living" necessary for salvation. It was a disaster, she was crying and got in a long debate about how she would rather burn in hell with her kids if they were going to hell for not going to church. She was upset about her loved ones who passed away because they were not baptised in the name of Jesus. She even asked if she could still pray for them and the brother said "no" and then feeling some conviction said "i dont know, only God can judge".
      I wish I could have taken her outside and told her to get back on her meds (she eventually did after calling the police and filing a false report on her husband). I would have told her that God loves you and your children and your loved ones and by the death and resurrection of his Son Jesus Christ and by your belief through him they are saved.
      I have been weighing out the pros and cons of my church and the cons are really piling up.
      I feel they undermine my knowledge of scripture and many converts to the church fall short of any biblical education mostly because they were raised in a catholic setting that might have just left them more confused than educated. In my case I needed answers and went straight to the source many years ago before even trying to seek a church.
      I usher now only on sundays because I need my work hours and people at work just saw me as pompous for leaving throughout the work week to attend church, I have to break out proving the brethren my dedication to God by man pleasing, but I can admit that at least, that I must have been doing this if I felt I had to.
      So my question to a Christian would simply be... Church suggestions? lol

Where do you live? Larry Stockstills church was good.
      I'll pray God brings you to a good one where He wants you. He used them to save you. I didnt stay where I got saved. That was just the reason He sent me there. They could lead others to Christ very good.

6. Likes Andrew liked this post
      Fading awa...

Mood:
      Secret

Country
      Vatican
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.11%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      Another question.
      Is it normal to find a church that you agree with 100% or is there always most certainly a "catch" involved that you just simply have to accept even tho it's not like minded of you?

I think it depends on your expectations. Do not choose a church that you disagree with on important matters because that will make your life miserable. There is give and take in every relationship and that includes your relationship with a church. Be prepared to change your thinking on matters when the evidence makes that necessary.

He is the patron of impossible causes because the scriptural Letter of St. Jude, which he authored, urges Christians to persevere in difficult times.

Hidden Content

8. Likes Andrew liked this post
      Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.95%
      I am in one I agree 100 percent with. Find a small one maybe.

10. Likes Andrew liked this post
      Confessional Lutheran is offline Prodigy Member
      Divorced
      John 15:5

Mood:
      Innocent

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      80.22%
      Quote Originally Posted by Imalive View Post
      I am in one I agree 100 percent with. Find a small one maybe.
      Small churches are awesome. They tend to keep you accountable and they're also a wonderful support in faith and in life too, really.

12. Likes Imalive liked this post
      Fading awa...

Mood:
      Secret

Country
      Vatican
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.11%
      Quote Originally Posted by Confessional Lutheran View Post
      Small churches are awesome. They tend to keep you accountable and they're also a wonderful support in faith and in life too, really.
      As long as they are part of something bigger that can keep the leaders accountable.

Hidden Content

14. Likes Tigger, tango liked this post
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Awesome

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.37%
      Quote Originally Posted by Imalive View Post
      Where do you live? Larry Stockstills church was good.
      I'll pray God brings you to a good one where He wants you. He used them to save you. I didnt stay where I got saved. That was just the reason He sent me there. They could lead others to Christ very good.
      I live 20 miles south of Houston Tx. Yes indeed I was hit with the Spirit at a divine intervention at a Pentecostal rescue service in the middle of town square 3 years ago. I showed up there trying to catch my girlfriend in the act of cheating, my entire life transformed within minutes. So I do hold it very special to my heart and respect to God, the church I go to now is not even the church that "showed" me. The church I go to feels like home but Lord help me if I stay in any longer I might just have to nail my thesis to the church doors lol.
      I suppose the best I could do is learn to communicate properly to those involved when it comes to contradictions, so many people come out believing that only that church is saved and that everyone you see in town is going to hell pretty much. That strongly convicts my faith and its just not right, this is a very literal eternal hell for all outside the church that they are preaching about, something I disagree should be taught unless symbolically or by parables or something but not so boldly as claimed, unless you speak tongues you will go to hell is basically what they mean even tho they wont admit to that. Im sure this is just this specific church and only taught by a few radical people in it but it doesnt sit well with me even tho I claim to speak tongues i dont feel it saves me from hell, that is insane.
      Maybe I will try the first church.

What about alternating between denominations? Sounds interesting do people do that?

Last edited by Andrew; 11-22-2017 at 12:10 PM.

16. Likes Imalive liked this post
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Awesome

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.37%
      Quote Originally Posted by Confessional Lutheran View Post
      Its a small church but some of the best people there are the ones that really push Holy living which requires attending every service (3 times a week, 5 if you include prayer and study days) they tend to assume that you must have had some emergency to not show up on a Wednesday LOL no joke either

Last edited by Andrew; 11-22-2017 at 12:17 PM.

18. Likes Imalive liked this post