Now, For Something Completely Different

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did not teach doctrine, that is a purely human invention. Jesus teaching boiled down to love God and love your neighbour as yourself.

Pete from Peterborough UK

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
In fact if you analyse the provenance of what we tend to call doctrine in our churches, most of it was penned by Paul or has been imported from the Old Testament

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Jesus did not teach doctrine, that is a purely human invention. Jesus teaching boiled down to love God and love your neighbour as yourself.

Holy scripture says he taught doctrine.

[Matthew 7:28] And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

[Matthew 16:12] Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

[Matthew 22:33] And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

[Mark 1:22] And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.

[Mark 1:27] And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

[Mark 4:2] And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

[Mark 11:18] And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine.

[Mark 12:38] And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,

[Luke 4:32] And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.

[John 7:16] Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

[John 7:17] If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

[John 18:19] The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.​

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe the point of the thread was to find union through our beliefs and not to argue what you don't agree with. So what things do we agree with that haven't been mentioned?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Nicene Creed: Affirmed by the great majority of Christians, for nearly 1700 years....

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary
and became truly human.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

We all don't necessarily understand every part of that identically (the church and baptism parts) but the unity here is enormous. What we agree on here is HUGE.

Way back in my undergrad years, I had a prof in a lower division physics class who said, "it all makes perfect sense - until you get to the edges, and then it gets really weird." I had no idea at the time how true that is! Probably 95% of Christians agree on probably 95% of Christian teachings..... but oh that 5%, that's when it gets divisive and sometimes, well, interesting. But I think when looking at that 5%, we forget the 95%.

Soli Deo Gloria

- Josiah

Last edited:

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I believe the point of the thread was to find union through our beliefs and not to argue what you don't agree with. So what things do we agree with that haven't been mentioned?

How about the letters penned by God through St. Paul that Christians accept as canonical Scripture?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
WE should be able to agree on this

"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures," 1 Corinthians 15:2-4

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures," 1 Corinthians 15:2-4

That's agreeable :)

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I would agree but then so would LDS & JW’s. That’s why the early church fought against heresy with it’s ecumenical creeds.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's a very good list, Confessional Lutheran!

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
Holy scripture says he taught doctrine.

[Matthew 7:28] And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

[Matthew 16:12] Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

[Matthew 22:33] And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

[Mark 1:22] And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.

[Mark 1:27] And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

[Mark 4:2] And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

[Mark 11:18] And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine.

[Mark 12:38] And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,

[Luke 4:32] And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.

[John 7:16] Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

[John 7:17] If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

[John 18:19] The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.​

Actually the word doctrine does not appear in all translations, my version refers to teaching, doctrine is another human construct. So I still believe Jesus was more concerned with love than doctrinal accuracy.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Actually the word doctrine does not appear in all translations, my version refers to teaching, doctrine is another human construct. So I still believe Jesus was more concerned with love than doctrinal accuracy.

Aren't "doctrine" and "teaching" the same thing? The teachings of a church are the doctrines of that church.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Aren't "doctrine" and "teaching" the same thing? The teachings of a church are the doctrines of that church.

Yes of a church and every church has other doctrins cause they interprete the Bible differently, which we can fight about, which is something everyone likes.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes of a church and every church has other doctrins cause they interprete the Bible differently, which we can fight about, which is something everyone likes.

They must like it because they do it so much!

:smirk:

We can all agree about that.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
They must like it because they do it so much!

:smirk:

We can all agree about that.

It's a legitimate concern, you know at Sunday School today, the topic dealt with prayer. Part of Pastor's lesson made it absolutely clear that we Christians are to pray to God in all circumstances and for all whom we encounter. He also made it abundantly clear that God hates false doctrine and we pray against those who would pervert the Law and Gospel of Our Blessed Lord for their own agendas. It was also made perfectly clear that God heeds only those prayers of Christians and those who would be Christians ( if they hadn't yet been baptized in the name of God the Father, God the Son + and God the Holy Spirit). Non- Christians might pray all they like, but it isn't God to Whom they are praying.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's a legitimate concern, you know at Sunday School today, the topic dealt with prayer. Part of Pastor's lesson made it absolutely clear that we Christians are to pray to God in all circumstances and for all whom we encounter. He also made it abundantly clear that God hates false doctrine and we pray against those who would pervert the Law and Gospel of Our Blessed Lord for their own agendas. It was also made perfectly clear that God heeds only those prayers of Christians and those who would be Christians ( if they hadn't yet been baptized in the name of God the Father, God the Son + and God the Holy Spirit). Non- Christians might pray all they like, but it isn't God to Whom they are praying.

What you said reminded me of these verses in Galatians 1:8-9
8 "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!"

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It is also a way of deflecting guilt!

Only if a chap doesn't confess their own sins. That isn't very likely with my post.

Top Bottom